Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well they are trying to move McCann and Carrasco to lower their tax hit.

Yes, and there's value in that. But the Mets are happy to dump money out if it  makes them better, they haven't traded away any youth at all during this spending spree the last 2 years as far as I can tell. 

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

Between Graveman, Lopez, Kelly, and Bummer we have plenty of options to close games if needed.

If the Sox are really trading Liam, its to lower the payroll so I wouldn't be expecting them to take back highly paid players. There's no reason to trade him unless it was to reduce payroll.

Not necessarily true. Getting back prospect capital which is needed badly can help the Sox in any trade or just to have other prospects close to MLB ready.

If you want to trade successfully you don't show your hand. If the Mets think the Sox just want to dump Hendriks for payroll there is no clear negotiating advantage. JR wants to beat Cohen here.

32 minutes ago, T R U said:

Between Graveman, Lopez, Kelly, and Bummer we have plenty of options to close games if needed.

If the Sox are really trading Liam, its to lower the payroll so I wouldn't be expecting them to take back highly paid players. There's no reason to trade him unless it was to reduce payroll.

It doesn’t have to be cost cutting. There is a a 3rd option of reallocating that $ to fill other needs.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, and there's value in that. But the Mets are happy to dump money out if it  makes them better, they haven't traded away any youth at all during this spending spree the last 2 years as far as I can tell. 

They don’t have to deal young players with EE or McCann if they are taking back bad money. But that’s not Liam. If they’re dealing either of those 2 and getting back Liam, they’re dealing a young player or two.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

40 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yea. I really only like the Mets prospects. Sign me up for Parada. Also really like Jett Williams.

But neither of those really help the big league club so it wouldn't make sense unless the goal is to merely shed payroll.

jerry-reinsdorf.jpg

You had me at shed payroll.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They don’t have to deal young players with EE or McCann if they are taking back bad money. But that’s not Liam. If they’re dealing either of those 2 and getting back Liam, they’re dealing a young player or two.

Would they be willing to part with a guy who won't contribute this year? Sure, I can imagine that McCann + one of their 3/4/5 guys would be a deal they would consider.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/mets

Are they parting with Baty if they think he's going to contribute this year? Probably a much higher requirement there. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Would they be willing to part with a guy who won't contribute this year? Sure, I can imagine that McCann + one of their 3/4/5 guys would be a deal they would consider.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/mets

Are they parting with Baty if they think he's going to contribute this year? Probably a much higher requirement there. 

Yeah I don’t think they would get Baty but I think getting catching prospect when they have a few isn’t that crazy. Maybe not Alvarez but Parada.

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I don’t think they would get Baty but I think getting catching prospect when they have a few isn’t that crazy. Maybe not Alvarez but Parada.

I could see that as being a match.

However...please note that this is a substantial downgrade to the 2023 White Sox. IT is a player they could move elsewhere, but it's much more of a rebuilding type move, adding a catcher 2 or 3 years away.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Maybe, but if we are dealing Hendriks and receiving Chisholm (I assume this is what you mean), I don't see how we don't send someone else out from our minors in this deal.

God, what a pointless fuckin argument no one else cares about.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not necessarily true. Getting back prospect capital which is needed badly can help the Sox in any trade or just to have other prospects close to MLB ready.

If you want to trade successfully you don't show your hand. If the Mets think the Sox just want to dump Hendriks for payroll there is no clear negotiating advantage. JR wants to beat Cohen here.

I didn't say they were dumping him just to save money, I am saying they aren't going to go lateral with it and trade his salary for close to or equal parts in other MLB player salaries.

Of course they would trade him for real prospects

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Mets aren’t trading McNeil.  Carrasco is probably the best player you might be able to get in a trade.  Salary matches up well with Hendriks.

I feel like you’re underrating Hendriks. 2/29 for one of the best relievers in baseball is a bargain 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Thoughts on McCann and Mauricio for Hendriks?

McCann should be free 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 2

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

However...please note that this is a substantial downgrade to the 2023 White Sox. IT is a player they could move elsewhere, but it's much more of a rebuilding type move, adding a catcher 2 or 3 years away.

Probably moot now with Ottavino re-signing with the Mets. Didn’t realize how great he was last year.

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I feel like you’re underrating Hendriks. 2/29 for one of the best relievers in baseball is a bargain 

McCann should be free 

I put a lot of value in Hendriks, and it’s why I don’t think Mets are a good fit because of Carrasco likely being the best you could get for him.  I still think there’s a very real chance Hendriks goes to Toronto for Jansen.

34 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It doesn’t have to be cost cutting. There is a a 3rd option of reallocating that $ to fill other needs.

I don't think that's an option at all. Again, why would the Sox entertain the idea of trading Liam if it wasn't purely to reduce payroll? There is no logical reason behind trading him and then spending his money on what, a 2nd baseman? Makes no sense.

If hes traded, I think you see him go for prospects and his payroll isn't spent back into the MLB team.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Whether or not he is realistic is 1 thing, but Alvarez was in the majors at the end of last year and at least showed power. He’d be a mid ‘23 addition at worst. 

And even tho he was just drafted I highly doubt Parada needs 2-3 years. Most highly touted college catchers move up fast. Seems like a guy you would start in AA this year and see how fast he can can progress. With the Sox development team maybe it  takes a little longer, but I don’t think expecting him to contribute in ‘24 is unrealistic.

But you are correct that it’s not a move a team looking to win a World Series this coming year would do…also not sure what moves the Sox are making that make a WS possible this year.

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Whether or not he is realistic is 1 thing, but Alvarez was in the majors at the end of last year and at least showed power. He’d be a mid ‘23 addition at worst. 

And even tho he was just drafted I highly doubt Parada needs 2-3 years. Most highly touted college catchers move up fast. Seems like a guy you would start in AA this year and see how fast he can can progress. With the Sox development team maybe it  takes a little longer, but I don’t think expecting him to contribute in ‘24 is unrealistic.

But you are correct that it’s not a move a team looking to win a World Series this coming year would do…also not sure what moves the Sox are making that make a WS possible this year.

Alvarez is the top overall prospect in baseball by MLB.com. There is zero situation where he's available for Hendriks alone, without someone like Robert or Cease being in the concept. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lots of smoke here but Mets are a team Hahn can play hardball with. Not sure many of us think of Hahn as capable of playing hardball.

So you want Hendricks ? Impress me .

Rick played hardball when attempting to deal Quintana.  I actually thought he was competent at the time because of how well he maneuvered to get that deal.  He’s lost all my faith since then.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Alvarez is the top overall prospect in baseball by MLB.com. There is zero situation where he's available for Hendriks alone, without someone like Robert or Cease being in the concept. 

Cohen or Eppler probably read here that our most intelligent fans were demanding the most valuable Met (by a large margin) and decided to just pay Ottavino instead.  

• Haha 2