Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

8 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

If the Mets want Hendriks and if I’m the Sox, I need Kevin Parada to come back to me in any deal. He’s probably a LF in the big leagues but the bat is great. Move him from behind the dish because the bat is so good. 

Cool. So more bad defenders playing out of position?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pcq said:

Escobar and McCann for Liam. 

I brought it up before, but San Fran would be an interesting destination. Unless I’m missing something looking at their roster they don’t have a decent backup C option behind Bart and their DH spot also seems to be pretty wide open. Grandal could (in theory) be a good mentor for Bart and Kapler loves to platoon/play matchups so Grandal could easily see a decent amount of AB’s at C/1B/DH (most of their options seems to be RH). Sox could easily take back Tommy LaStella as a salary dump as he doesn’t seem to really have a roster spot after the Correa signing (they have Flores for Utl) 

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

David Peterson would be an awesome get if these Liam to NYM rumors are legit.

Someone said somewhere to evaluate why this leaked in a couple places today.

My guess? The discussion was legit, the Mets knew they wanted another reliever. If the Mets leaked it, they had already talked to the White Sox and the White Sox's price was something the Mets wouldn't pay. They leaked it so that the White Sox would guess the Mets were close to moving on if the Sox didn't drop their price, and the Mets moved on to Ottavino. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Someone said somewhere to evaluate why this leaked in a couple places today.

My guess? The discussion was legit, the Mets knew they wanted another reliever. If the Mets leaked it, they had already talked to the White Sox and the White Sox's price was something the Mets wouldn't pay. They leaked it so that the White Sox would guess the Mets were close to moving on if the Sox didn't drop their price, and the Mets moved on to Ottavino. 

I think that theory makes a lot of sense, but Cohen is all in to such an extent I could still see them trading for Liam even after resigning Ottovino. It's clear they're trying to build the best 26 man roster money (unless you're a bad player like James McCann) be damned.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe not but they are preparing for Perez being used more than they might like since they have signed  Xavier Hernandez and Sebastian Rivero as minor league depth pieces.

I just don't think it's a need now since I think it isn't a spot that needs a lot of offensive production. But  Grifol is an ex catcher, Rivero was in the KC system. . Just reminds me of Collins all over again and all the faith they put in him.

I think the most pressing need for this season and next is Starting pitching in the upper minors. That means prospects, they need prospects .

Not sexy to talk about when the 2023 season is upcoming and still holes to fill on the 26 but it's how I feel.

It's Xavier Fernandez. He was also in the Royals farm system, before coming to the Sox. He resigned, after having split time last season, at Birmingham and Charlotte.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Mets would have to take back Grandal and it's very doubtful even they would do that.  

Give them Leery and we can sign Elvis. Grandal could not pass a physical. Toast. 

26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Mets would have to take back Grandal and it's very doubtful even they would do that.  

I would think that the Mets would do a dance if we offered Liam for those guys.

Re McCann, the Sox walked away from the table 2 years ago; it was a great move.   Rack the chips and don't go back.

Edited by GreenSox

37 minutes ago, pcq said:

Give them Leery and we can sign Elvis. Grandal could not pass a physical. Toast. 

They would just add prospects. McCann is negative value and Escobar doesn’t have much value. I might be the most pro trade Liam here…but you’re way undervaluing him if you think McCann and Escobar is a good deal. Maybe the 2 catchers and Baty would be off the table, but we should be able to get at least 2 of the Mets top 15 prospects back in that deal

27 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

They would just add prospects. McCann is negative value and Escobar doesn’t have much value. I might be the most pro trade Liam here…but you’re way undervaluing him if you think McCann and Escobar is a good deal. Maybe the 2 catchers and Baty would be off the table, but we should be able to get at least 2 of the Mets top 15 prospects back in that deal

Not saying you aren't wrong, but this is the Sox and they will surely be looking for the Mets to retain most of those contracts. That is going to diminish whatever possible return you can get.

The other issue with trading Hendriks is that our bullpen is thin to begin with.  Oh there are bodies, but  Hendriks and Lopez were really the only good relievers last year.   Lambert, Foster and Banks were okay and certainly gave yeoman effort, but those are back of the pen guys.   VV was probably in that number too.   Graveman escapes criticism, but he was bad last season.  Diekman and Kelly were indescribable.  
It's risky to trade him.  I'd only take that risk for controllable young talent.

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The other issue with trading Hendriks is that our bullpen is thin to begin with.  Oh there are bodies, but  Hendriks and Lopez were really the only good relievers last year.   Lambert, Foster and Banks were okay and certainly gave yeoman effort, but those are back of the pen guys.   VV was probably in that number too.   Graveman escapes criticism, but he was bad last season.  Diekman and Kelly were indescribable.  
It's risky to trade him.  I'd only take that risk for controllable young talent.

Our bullpen definitely isn’t thin when you compare it to other bullpens across the league.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Our bullpen definitely isn’t thin when you compare it to other bullpens across the league.

ZIPS (conservatively) has them projected as a top 3 bullpen and possibly the best in baseball, fwiw - Take Liam away and I'd expect it still projects out as an above average group even if a lot of people would feel queasy without a shutdown closer

"The final projections aren’t in, but it looks like they’ll be projected to have at least a top-three relief corps per ZiPS, if not the best in baseball. You can go eight or nine deep on the depth chart before you hit a reliever who I’d really be frightened to see outside of a low-leverage situation. My hope here is that the Sox spend the winter neglecting the bullpen the way they did with the rest of the roster in 2021; if they’re determined to only spend a small amount of money, there are far bigger needs than another reliever."

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-zips-projections-chicago-white-sox/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

ZIPS (conservatively) has them projected as a top 3 bullpen and possibly the best in baseball, fwiw - Take Liam away and I'd expect it still projects out as an above average group even if a lot of people would feel queasy without a shutdown closer

"The final projections aren’t in, but it looks like they’ll be projected to have at least a top-three relief corps per ZiPS, if not the best in baseball. You can go eight or nine deep on the depth chart before you hit a reliever who I’d really be frightened to see outside of a low-leverage situation. My hope here is that the Sox spend the winter neglecting the bullpen the way they did with the rest of the roster in 2021; if they’re determined to only spend a small amount of money, there are far bigger needs than another reliever."

Yeah they need to dump one of Kelly, Graveman, and Hendriks so they can get some money to either sign a 4th OFer or 2B. 

I wonder how likely it is we can trade Graveman's contract for someone like Jorge Mateo. 

Edited by chw42

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don’t know how you use the word “conservatively” there. That projection has their bullpen as substantially better than last year. Bummer is better, Joe Kelly is substantially better. Lopez is ok, not as good as last year. No one is terrible, like several guys were last year. Everyone is healthy and more consistent.  It is certainly possible with the amount of money put into it, but it’s also extremely optimistic to think that they’re way better than they were last year with the same guys a year older.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Sox were 19th in MLB bullpen ERA and WHIP (12th in the AL).  Maybe the WARs are better; and they seem to project improvement from Bummer and Graveman (which certainly could happen).  But I don't see how they suddenly vault over 9 teams.

Their bullpen fWAR was 8th best.

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Man Mets fans are delusional. On reddit its: "we should give up McCann and an overrated, struggling prospect", tons of upvotes. Anything even questioning that gets downvoted to oblivion. I hate that website

How’s that any different than Sox fan trade proposals of our trash for any good player 🤣

• Haha 2