Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

17 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I gotta say, witnessing such a spending spree is disheartening for a Sox fan that wants to compete in a league that has ownership that so thoroughly outclasses us. Like, how can we compete? It would have to be a constant veteran churn for high prospects that get dumped before they hit the market

It’s worth remembering how bad the free agent market typically is for building a team.

I haven’t done the exercise recently but the last time the White Sox were trying to compete, something like 60-75% of the free agent contracts signed that year looked bad one offseason later. The last team I recall that did a spending spree and actually won a title immediately was the 09 Yankees.

Big names in their late 20s and early to mid 30s have way more problems of injury and struggling than what we think.

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It's bad enough for us as fans of a team that has a $180 million payroll (let's not talk about WHO they're spending that money on).  Imagine being a fan of the Pirates, Marlins, Reds, etc.  Of course, if the Mets have a $400 million+ payroll and don't win the World Series, or even the pennant, or even make it far in the playoffs, what will their fans think?  

Id like to find out how that feels 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s worth remembering how bad the free agent market typically is for building a team.

I haven’t done the exercise recently but the last time the White Sox were trying to compete, something like 60-75% of the free agent contracts signed that year looked bad one offseason later. The last team I recall that did a spending spree and actually won a title immediately was the 09 Yankees.

Big names in their late 20s and early to mid 30s have way more problems of injury and struggling than what we think.

As I always say about NBA and the Bulls, people want to claim that tanking doesn’t work. Fine, but show me a WAY that  does win a title. Nothing works. But hate not to go to work without all the tools in your toolbox 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

McNeil and Baty make a lot of sense.  I'd rather try to figure out a Baty deal but no way you trade Hendriks without getting one of those guys (especially if you have to (want to) take on McCann.

Agreed. No way you trade Hendriks to NYM without getting Baty back. 

Hendricks for Baty and McCann. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I just dont know how I'll feel if this all comes together and Leury goes to the Mets in a deal and wins a World Series. 

I'd be happy for him.

With the amount of s%*# we give Leury, it would be like that health inspector character in Ocean's 13 that they abuse all movie but then make him win the jackpot on the slots at the end.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Agreed. No way you trade Hendriks to NYM without getting Baty back. 

Hendricks for Baty and McCann. 

Not saying I don't want Baty - but where would he play, both now and over the next 2 years while Moncada is on the roster.  

Sox have done a good job improving the defense so far this offseason, moving Moncada off 3B seems counterintuitive.  As does sticking a 3B that plays some LF because he isn't that good of a 3B in RF.  

Moncada to 2B downgrades the defense everywhere.  

Again - not poopooing it persay - the bat is a great fit - I am just curious how you re-arrange the defense. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not saying I don't want Baty - but where would he play, both now and over the next 2 years while Moncada is on the roster.  

Sox have done a good job improving the defense so far this offseason, moving Moncada off 3B seems counterintuitive.  As does sticking a 3B that plays some LF because he isn't that good of a 3B in RF.  

Again - not poopooing it persay - the bat is a great fit - I am just curious how you re-arrange the defense. 

You move Moncada.  He's to the point where he shouldn't be cemented into a position.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Being 23, I guess you can put him in AAA to start the year. Not like he set the world on fire in the majors last year. I know that doesn’t help the ‘23 roster (unless injuries force his way up) but maybe you also grab David Peterson in a deal who is a lefty and has options.

Like I said this morning, I don’t think there’s really a fit unless the Sox are good taking guys who don’t really help much this season.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You move Moncada.  He's to the point where he shouldn't be cemented into a position.

Yoan is such a good 3B tho. Moncada to 2B and Batty to 3B is a major defensive downgrade in the infield. Obviously we’re getting cart in front of horse quite a bit here, but I just don’t love that idea. But it’s probably the only one that makes all the pieces fit. If Yoan doesn’t start hitting more, he’s gonna be a utility piece in his next deal anyway so he may not be against it. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Being 23, I guess you can put him in AAA to start the year. Not like he set the world on fire in the majors last year. I know that doesn’t help the ‘23 roster (unless injuries force his way up) but maybe you also grab David Peterson in a deal who is a lefty and has options.

Like I said this morning, I don’t think there’s really a fit unless the Sox are good taking guys who don’t really help much this season.

Yah, also don’t love trading Liam for guys that don’t impact 2023. But hard to turn down a talent like Baty. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yoan is such a good 3B tho. Moncada to 2B and Batty to 3B is a major defensive downgrade in the infield. Obviously we’re getting cart in front of horse quite a bit here, but I just don’t love that idea. But it’s probably the only one that makes all the pieces fit. If Yoan doesn’t start hitting more, he’s gonna be a utility piece in his next deal anyway so he may not be against it. 

Yeah I move Moncada.  I prefer a Baty deal than McNeil as McNeil is another no-power guy with a roster full of them.  Moncada's bat doesn't play at 3B, it would play much better at 2B.  Maybe he will be better defensively at 2B than he was when he first came up.  

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah you stick him in AAA to start and see if he lights a fire under YM to really perform. If he does, having two savage 3B is a good problem to have and you can use one as a trade chip. If not, move YM to 2nd and if he doesn't like it, that's too damn bad. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, also don’t love trading Liam for guys that don’t impact 2023. But hard to turn down a talent like Baty. 

If you are trading for Baty...you might as well move TA this offseason as well and retool for 2024. But then pitching is at a deficit. Man, they really screwed this window in 21-22 with TLR

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

If you are trading for Baty...you might as well move TA this offseason as well and retool for 2024. But then pitching is at a deficit. Man, they really screwed this window in 21-22 with TLR

the TLR hire immediately fucked the window and we all knew it. Well... 80% of us

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1