Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Mets would literally give McCann away for nothing because he has negative value and will cost them $23M per year on a marginal basis.  Us taking him on in a theoretical Hendriks trade means we’re getting something else incredibly valuable like Baty.  Zero reason to believe Eloy would ever be involved in such a trade unless somehow Alvarez is coming back.

10 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I'd call that a downgrade.
The only value in any of that would be the prospects.  McCann and Escobar aren't worth their contracts.

You’re right on McCann, I was really more commenting on the realization that the Sox may be trying to force the DH role open for Grandal, and fearing the Sox wouldn’t upgrade enough around the diamond to make up for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I wonder if there was something either management or in the locker room that McCann basically said "thanks but no thanks" to the Sox. Or maybe he feels some type of way that they didn't resign him? 

The two main theories out there are the org is a s%*#-show and he wanted to protect himself and that he was simply bitter that we didn’t bring him back.  Either way, I’m glad the ridiculous Liam for McCann + B/C prospect rumors can die a quick death.

• Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I dont think that is the case. He was bitter that they signed Grandal and not him long term

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the Sox were on his list.  I think he was well liked in the clubhouse, and he was obviously a fan favorite.  He certainly wasn't worth the deal he got from the Mets.  Aside from last season, Grandal was the better option.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The two main theories out there are the org is a s%*#-show and he wanted to protect himself and that he was simply bitter that we didn’t bring him back.  Either way, I’m glad the ridiculous Liam for McCann + B/C prospect rumors can die a quick death.

The reason probably is he is aware one of the teams that would maybe want him is the White Sox. Players with limited no trades many times put the teams most likely to trade for them on the list to basically give them a full  no trade. Then, if they get traded there, they get some concessions. 

For instance, if Bryce Harper had a limited no trade, there would be no reason to put the Pirates or Indians on the list. They would never pick up the contract. But the Mets would probably be on it. And he would want something in return for waiving it. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It never had any legs to me. Never thought they were a match unless Hahn was simply going to get better prospects and maybe Escobar but i didnt want Escobar or McCann especially McCaan. AT least Escobar can hit 20 bombs while he played a mediocre 2nd base.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The reason probably is he is aware one of the teams that would maybe want him is the White Sox. Players with limited no trades many times put the teams most likely to trade for them on the list to basically give them a full  no trade. Then, if they get traded there, they get some concessions. 

I was thinking the same, but then pulled back on that theory just because McCann doesn’t like the type of player who could demand much concessions.  It’s a fair point and more common with star players, who more typically receive these kind of partial no-trade clauses.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was thinking the same, but then pulled back on that theory just because McCann doesn’t like the type of player who could demand much concessions.  It’s a fair point and more common with star players, who more typically receive these kind of partial no-trade clauses.

He makes sense for Baltimore at basically $2.5 million a year. He'll probably play less than he did with the White Sox, but that is probably good for him. He was always a back up at best.

4 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I like this plan, but also fear Jerry will stop after the "Hendriks for Gleyber" part and just pocket the savings instead.

Wouldn’t be horrible. Mark Payton’s zips were so shockingly good I’m kinda interested. Also romy hits the ball hard, and can play any position while colas earns it.

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

I will say that I forgot the Yankees really haven’t signed an infielder which I definitely assumed they would at this point. I kinda think yanks want to upgrade infield d and will pay padres for the privilege of Kim

I think the Yankees are all-in on their young infielders, especially Volpe.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Weird McCann would have the Sox on a five team no trade list. I say that because he had his best seasons there. 

This was what I expected - basically a bunch of money headed to Orioles and presumably the PTBNL is a nobody. 

• Like 1