Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t think so. When Bob tweets Sox related things he is usually right.

He's fed information and will often tweet stuff (like his latest) that gets the message across.  And I think, as other posters have said, the Sox are saying "If you want Hendriks, you need to blow us away."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd HATE most blue jays trade with Jansen as the main (only).  BUT, a Jansen plus Biggio plus duvall plus Alex Reyes (name your 3 million reliever), would be much more beneficial imo than just Hendriks. All theoretical names obviously, but you absolutely could improve the team by dealing him.

Pearson would be a great secondary piece.  Prospect stock is way down right now, but move him to the bullpen and let him work with Katz and you may have a bullpen beast.

• Like 1

fwiw I think the next signing/trade will give us more of a clue on whether we keep Liam Hendriks (assuming he isn't traded next)

if the Sox trade a vet for prospects, Hendriks is almost certaonly gone. if they trade for/sign another long term guy I think it's more likely their plan is to take another shot at it

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What if you could trade Hendriks to the Jays for Jansen & Pearson and then use the $10M in savings for Duvall and other things?  To me, that would likely make the team stronger overall.  And don’t get me wrong, Hendriks is a beast, but the dude’s arm could blow up any minute and I think we have other options that can be capable in that role.

How about the Sox just keep Hendricks and sign Duvall and those other things? JR has the $$$. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Notice he said their goal is to bounce back and win the AL Central….ahh I remember the good ol days when it was WS Title aspirations 

They've never had WS aspirations. It's always been "Make the playoffs and hope for the best." One year that got them a title, so now they think it can happen again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

fwiw I think the next signing/trade will give us more of a clue on whether we keep Liam Hendriks (assuming he isn't traded next)

if the Sox trade a vet for prospects, Hendriks is almost certaonly gone. if they trade for/sign another long term guy I think it's more likely their plan is to take another shot at it

What if they don’t do anything else? :)

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Still have the second most expensive bullpen in the league (and league history?) I think either Hendriks or Kelly goes before Opening Day.  

Putting major resources into the pen was an intentional decision of the FO and has been its practice from day 1.   It's not only FA$, but also trade capital and draft choices focused square on the pen.  They can't wake up one morning and say "our pen is too expensive" (at least they can't with a straight face). 

As one who is not convinced of the great depth of this pen, I say keep Joe Kelly at this point; these relievers are up and down, and if he's up this season, we'll need him; if not, DFA him in June.
Escobar's defense is no longer sound, at least per Fangraphs; but if they want him, his  price should be about what McCann's was (whose defense is sound).

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

4th OF, bullpen (I like a cheap Alex Reyes deal), or even a 2B like Segura.  Got to get an impactful piece for him that can help in 2023 and ideally a live arm with options that can potentially help offset the loss in the bullpen.  I think Pearson has a legit shot at being a high leverage reliever so when combined with a guy like Jansen I think you have to consider it, especially if helps in other areas.

Pearson and Crochet could be a nasty back end of the Bullpen. It sucks that GC isn't going to be back until July or August, but I think the Sox are considering trading Hendriks because of a) his elbow issues and b) They have faith in Crochet being the closer in 2024. 

However, I think that the more likely scenario for the catcher issue is Grandal for Perez in some form. 

The Royals could easily play Grandal at DH/1B while getting out of the last 2 years of Perez and starting Melendez at C. 

The issue with that deal is idk if it could be done straight up because of salary issues or the Sox would have to add because there's a possibility Grandal is just too injured. 

Another issue with that deal is that it makes the Sox more right handed. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd be content.  Got our #5 starter with lots of upside, got an actual outfielder. didn't dump anyone. Got rid of the 1B logjam

Yea.  This is closer to the team that SHOULD be on the field to see what they’ve built here.  

I think Rodon walking was a huge mistake.  Competing shouldn’t be the goal.  Domination is what it looked like we were building 

30 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd be content.  Got our #5 starter with lots of upside, got an actual outfielder. didn't dump anyone. Got rid of the 1B logjam

They desperately need outfield depth. If not, get ready to see way too much Sheets, Hamilton and Leury out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • TLR 2

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

What if they don’t do anything else? :)

Then they are de facto tanking. This team currently ranks mid level across The MLB. 

Hahn wasted $50M during the tanking years (Herrera, the Roids suspended catcher, Machado’s friends and family, etc.), so will chalk up the 10D signing to typical Kenny / Hahn obsession (see Kimbrel, twice).

IF THIS is their budget ceiling, they may as well have sold off anyone that could get prospects back to contribute starting in 2025-2026 when their perennial underperforming core is gone, because they aren’t drawing many fans next year with their reduced season ticket base, nor are they competing beyond the horseshit AL Central.

Could get decent returns for Tim, Liam, Eloy, Cease, Kopech if they had a competent FO. They don’t, so there’s that.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1