Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

43 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Pearson and Crochet could be a nasty back end of the Bullpen. It sucks that GC isn't going to be back until July or August, but I think the Sox are considering trading Hendriks because of a) his elbow issues and b) They have faith in Crochet being the closer in 2024. 

However, I think that the more likely scenario for the catcher issue is Grandal for Perez in some form. 

The Royals could easily play Grandal at DH/1B while getting out of the last 2 years of Perez and starting Melendez at C. 

The issue with that deal is idk if it could be done straight up because of salary issues or the Sox would have to add because there's a possibility Grandal is just too injured. 

The issue though with that deal is that it makes the Sox more right handed. 

I could be wrong but it sounds like Reyaldo Lopez maybe the guy they turn to for closing. The way the organization talks about him is as a future closer. I know he only has one more year on his deal. 

I think Crochet wants to be a starter and Katz alluded to him being in more of swing role when he gets back whenever that is. 

Looking at his #’s I’m assuming not, but any chance Aaron Hicks could still be a decent 4th OF’er? Was thinking something like this:

Liam and Grandal for Gleyber, Hicks, $12M (makes the Hicks commitment same as $18M for Grandal), and a Yankees SP prospect like Clayton Beeter, Will Warren or Randy Vasquez.

Obviously would leave us needing to find decent C, but the $ would be there to do so

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Looking at his #’s I’m assuming not, but any chance Aaron Hicks could still be a decent 4th OF’er? Was thinking something like this:

Liam and Grandal for Gleyber, Hicks, $12M (makes the Hicks commitment same as $18M for Grandal), and a Yankees SP prospect like Clayton Beeter, Will Warren or Randy Vasquez.

Obviously would leave us needing to find decent C, but the $ would be there to do so

What staring catcher is available in free agency that would only cost us money?

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

fwiw I think the next signing/trade will give us more of a clue on whether we keep Liam Hendriks (assuming he isn't traded next)

if the Sox trade a vet for prospects, Hendriks is almost certaonly gone. if they trade for/sign another long term guy I think it's more likely their plan is to take another shot at it

Sox have to convince teams that trading Hendriks isn't a cost cutting move. In order to do that and preserve that leverage the Sox would have to make another move 1st.

So the Sox must make a move. Either sign someone like Duvall or go after some FA relief pitcher.

That way it may open up better offers for Hendriks that still may end up saving money or getting a better prospect if someone like Duvall or a relief pitcher is already in the fold.

Not a good idea to trade Hendriks unless you get the other pieces 1st.

Then  a Kelly for Escobar trade is more likely and you wouldn't have to move Hendriks.

If Hendriks is moved soon then that will signal to me that it'll be a cost cutting move where they get prospects.

If they get some need pieces 1st you can pay for them with Hendriks savings afterwards and still have prospects.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sox have to convince teams that trading Hendriks isn't a cost cutting move. In order to do that and preserve that leverage the Sox would have to make another move 1st.

So the Sox must make a move. Either sign someone like Duvall or go after some FA relief pitcher.

That way it may open up better offers for Hendriks that still may end up saving money or getting a better prospect if someone like Duvall or a relief pitcher is already in the fold.

Not a good idea to trade Hendriks unless you get the other pieces 1st.

Then  a Kelly for Escobar trade is more likely and you wouldn't have to move Hendriks.

If Hendriks is moved soon then that will signal to me that it'll be a cost cutting move where they get prospects.

If they get some need pieces 1st you can pay for them with Hendriks savings afterwards and still have prospects.

I hope the actual trade is Kelly for Escobar. Makes more sense than anything else. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hope the actual trade is Kelly for Escobar. Makes more sense than anything else. 

Why is Escobar in all these rumors? Sox could have gotten him from the Brewers, but they didn't like the medicals.  I doubt 18 months later, he's suddenly been healed.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

They can't wake up one morning and say "our pen is too expensive" (at least they can't with a straight face). 

I agree with everything you said... but it is possible they did decide to move a reliever to pay for a LF acquisition. 

Earlier this offseason most assumed any major acquisition would need to be matched with at least a partial subtraction.  Now all of the sudden we've just moved past that possibility like it was required to happen prior the Benni deal.  Seems like folks here that were interested in trading Liam for a pre-arb 2B and using the savings to sign a corner OF are all of a sudden against it now that we are halfway through the process. Not sure that is how it works lol. 

Is it possible we are good on payroll and aren't forced to trade one of our expensive relievers?  Sure.  Let's hope so dammit. 

I think Hahn kept adding relievers because they had the money to burn in 21/22/23 before their core started rising in cost, and they found the relievers as the best option amongst the short term contracts.  Not that a loaded bullpen was some long term plan the front office had.  Now that they need the money to fill giant holes, I think it is possible some funds could be or were reallocated. 

Edited by GREEDY

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think the Sox will trade Hendriks, but I do have a suspicion they may want Escobar.  Money is pretty even if the Mets take Joe Kelly.

Escobar is a bad idea.  Josh Harrison got most of the PT at second, and he had a horrible first 30-45 days, possibly due to injury.  After that, he was okay.  In fact, he was about the same as Escobar with a few less homers.  Escobar is another NLer well past 30 who will create a lot of negative posts on SoxTalk in 2023.  Plus, he's expensive.  I would rather play our rookies.

Just now, oldsox said:

Escobar is a bad idea.  Josh Harrison got most of the PT at second, and he had a horrible first 30-45 days, possibly due to injury.  After that, he was okay.  In fact, he was about the same as Escobar with a few less homers.  Escobar is another NLer well past 30 who will create a lot of negative posts on SoxTalk in 2023.  Plus, he's expensive.  I would rather play our rookies.

Escobar actually played in the AL before and was pretty good on the Twins. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't know if the Sox can actually fill all their holes.

It may be just me but I think 2nd base is the last thing on their list.

Still need a 4th OF badly and if relief pitching is moved then we need more relief pitching. And lets face it despite the concentration on improving the roster in 2023 we do need some upper level pitching prospects badly. That should not be ignored nor put off till next year.

To me trading Hendriks 1st is putting the cart before the horse. Too many teams will low ball the Sox unless they are convinced JR is going for it in 2023 and only willing to trade Hendriks for prospects if he fills the other needs 1st.

Convince the other teams you are going for it in 2023 but still have an eye on future needs.

21 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Why is Escobar in all these rumors? Sox could have gotten him from the Brewers, but they didn't like the medicals.  I doubt 18 months later, he's suddenly been healed.

Good question but right now as fans we are in limbo.

We all suspect cost cutting is coming but why spend so much on Benintendi then ?

Also in the Sox favor is that they've rectified past mistakes and are making an attempt to improve OF defense, put Eloy and Vaughn where they belong. Also they got Clevinger.

They have spent but the limbo I speak of is not knowing what's next. Will it be cost cutting or will more past mistakes be rectified.

Maybe Escobar is a past mistake and they know they still need more HR and more LH. Plus we heard thge reason the didnt keep Rodon was medicals too. We never know if what we hear is the actual truth.

For a guy whose meds were supposed to be bad he is playing an awful lot of baseball including killing it in the Venezuelan Winter League now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Still need a 4th OF badly and if relief pitching is moved then we need more relief pitching. And lets face it despite the concentration on improving the roster in 2023 we do need some upper level pitching prospects badly. That should not be ignored nor put off till next year.

To me trading Hendriks 1st is putting the cart before the horse. Too many teams will low ball the Sox unless they are convinced JR is going for it in 2023 and only willing to trade Hendriks for prospects if he fills the other needs 1st.

Convince the other teams you are going for it in 2023 but still have an eye on future needs.

I feel ya. I just think that Ecsobar is overpaid, average on offense, below average D at 2b. If they're going to spend money, I hope it's not on him.

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I personally would move Moncada back to 2B IF we could get Baty.  His bat and health don't warrant being cemented at 3B anymore imo

If health (and it's usually been lower body issues impacting his mobility and stamina) is the issue with Moncada, moving to 2B exacerbates the situation.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why would teams lowball for Hendriks if they want an impact reliever?  This is simple supply & demand and there are no other arms available like Liam and he’s a very reasonable deal.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I feel ya. I just think that Ecsobar is overpaid, average on offense, below average D at 2b. If they're going to spend money, I hope it's not on him.

I think the Sox are still a little light in the HR department if we don't get power from Grandal or Moncada.

So even though I think 2nd base should be the last thing on the shopping list I'd understand getting Escobar but not in a Hendriks trade. I'd prefer the Sox make other moves 1st to fill 4th OF and pick up a relief pitcher or 2 before a Kelly or Hendricks move.