Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who you talking about?  Gary Sanchez?

Who I was thinking of. Someone like Sanchez, Roberto Perez, or Jason Castro platooned with Seby/Carlos Perez could potentially keep us afloat if the rest of the lineup is good. Obviously could also blow up and be a complete black hole…but then again if/when Grandal gets hurt we are in the same boat.

The reports coming out seem to be pointing in the positive direction for Grandal, but we’ve also all seen players with positive reports in the off-season fall flat. Unfortunately with Grandal we are at the mercy of our front office making a smart informed decision on his health and ability to bounce back and be a useful catcher for at least 80+ games. Not sure how he’s useful to us if he can’t do that. 

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would teams lowball for Hendriks if they want an impact reliever?  This is simple supply & demand and there are no other arms available like Liam and he’s a very reasonable deal.

Look, the whole world knew we were selling Sale/Eaton/Quintana.  When you have a commodity people want, your desperation doesn't matter, because teams needs and competition matter more.  Even if the Sox are being required by Jerry to cut dollars, Liam Hendriks still makes the back end of every single bullpen in MLB a lot better.  Teams will bid for that, because there is no one out there for only dollars who is even close to that level.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would teams lowball for Hendriks if they want an impact reliever?  This is simple supply & demand and there are no other arms available like Liam and he’s a very reasonable deal.

I thought I explained that part. It is not always simple supply and demand making trades is like playing poker. If you think you opponent has a weak hand for whatever his tells are then you have a different strategy. Jerry's tell is that he is cheap.

If the other GM's know Jerry has a weak hand because he wants to cut salary the offers may not be as good because all the Sox want to do is cut salary. If JR says sorry he's unavailable right now and picks up some guys before trading Hendriks it makes his hand look stronger.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Now this is more like it 😎.  Obviously completely ridiculous, but people should spread this over Twitter to see those fucking Mets fans squirm.

I don't know where this is from, but if we get the #1 prospect in baseball PLUS someone else for Hendriks, i will drive his ass to Ohare in the middle of this blizzard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought I explained that part. It is not always simple supply and demand making trades is like playing poker. If you think you opponent has a weak hand for whatever his tells are then you have a different strategy. Jerry's tell is that he is cheap.

If the other GM's know Jerry has a weak hand because he wants to cut salary the offers may not be as good because all the Sox want to do is cut salary. If JR says sorry he's unavailable right now and picks up some guys before trading Hendriks it makes his hand look stronger.

It doesn’t matter if you have to move a piece if five other teams are eager to acquire said piece.  For a player as attractive as Liam, the poker element only works on margins.  You should be able to get a quality return regardless of how your hand is positioned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know where this is from, but if we get the #1 prospect in baseball PLUS someone else for Hendriks, i will drive his ass to Ohare in the middle of this blizzard.

I’m guessing the guy photo-shopped, but would love to see Mets fan react to that after convincing themselves they’d get Liam for McCann & filler.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It doesn’t matter if you have to move a piece if five other teams are eager to acquire said piece.  For a player as attractive as Liam, the poker element only works on margins.  You should be able to get a quality return regardless of how your hand is positioned.

We will see. You think he'll be moved soon , I don't. Now if you get McNeil and Alvarez  that's another story ! lol

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Now this is more like it 😎.  Obviously completely ridiculous, but people should spread this over Twitter to see those fucking Mets fans squirm.

Yeah, not buying this AT ALL.  If this is the return, it would be for Hendriks + Eloy.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Much like poker you play the GM and owner as much as you play your hand. It's a balancing act and the fact the Hahn has sucked at his job for a long time doesn't particularly sway me that other teams aren't playing him.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It is more like collecting versus playing a game with fixed options.  In this game there is only one Liam Hendriks, and everyone wants him.  Most want him enough that they will be willing to pay up for him.  You play all of those offers against each other.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Was that from a TV broadcast? Which producer let them put that trade proposal up? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is more like collecting versus playing a game with fixed options.  In this game there is only one Liam Hendriks, and everyone wants him.  Most want him enough that they will be willing to pay up for him.  You play all of those offers against each other.

Or if 3 teams are bidding on him and all making what Hahn considers to be inadequate offers what makes you confident that if JR is really looking to cut payroll that he just won't tell Hahn , "Which offer is the best as far as talent and cost savings go ?'' ANd  Hahn says this one  and JR says "fine take that one".

The 1st round of talks should be Hahn and JR saying no to everyone. It shouldn't be done quickly and if @Chicago White Sox thinks he's going to be traded soon it doesn't match up.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sox have to convince teams that trading Hendriks isn't a cost cutting move. In order to do that and preserve that leverage the Sox would have to make another move 1st.

So the Sox must make a move. Either sign someone like Duvall or go after some FA relief pitcher.

HA ! Santos isn't exactly who I had in mind. Money must be spent. But it is a step in the right direction.