Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

I just posted in another thread about going after some of the better arms left on the relief market to perhaps trade from excess in order to resolve, 2nd base and 4th OF. The names I came up with were Michael, Fulmer Matt Moore or Andrew Chafin.

The I discovered that MLBTR has an article covering the remaining relief pitchers on the market. I originally took my info from a November article I read on the 10 best remaining relief pitcher and those 3 were the only ones left on the list.

So there are others listed in the MLBTR headine story.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

In 2019, Gleybar hit 38 HR. In 2022 he hit .257/.310/.451 with 24 homers, 76 RBI and 10 stolen bases in 140 games.  He is only 26 years old and will come with 2 more years of control before he hits FA. His numbers are better than Vaughn's and a few other players we have, and the power numbers look enticing. There might be some better trade suggestions out there but this one looks like a fair deal for both teams.

Like any player who hits FA, he might be too expensive to re-sign, but for two years, he holds down second base.  Hahn can then try to figure out the Closer role with Katz and look for another catcher in case Grandal's back injuries prove insurmountable.

Edited by tray

2 hours ago, tray said:

In 2019, Gleybar hit 38 HR. In 2022 he hit .257/.310/.451 with 24 homers, 76 RBI and 10 stolen bases in 140 games.  He is only 26 years old and will come with 2 more years of control before he hits FA. His numbers are better than Vaughn's and a few other players we have, and the power numbers look enticing. There might be some better trade suggestions out there but this one looks like a fair deal for both teams.

Like any player who hits FA, he might be too expensive to re-sign, but for two years, he holds down second base.  Hahn can then try to figure out the Closer role with Katz and look for another catcher in case Grandal's back injuries prove insurmountable.

I'd rather have a long term controllable pieces. 

I hope the Correa thing with NYM falls apart so Cohen will need to make another splash PR wise to save face. We could nab Mauricio as the headline piece who could end up at SS/2B/3B and has a great arm plus very good power esp from the left side. Between him and Montgomery, we'd be in a strong position to eventually deal Moncada and Anderson to keep replenishing talent with young cost controlled savages waiting to replace them.

We can probably also add a good secondary piece in a useful MLB player like Guillorme who can help right now or maybe a young pitching prospect since we will need more arms soon.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

3 hours ago, tray said:

Did Vaughn kick your puppy or something?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

After the Eovaldi signing, the Rangers look like they have a clear need for a guy like Hendriks.  

... and we could use their 'blocked' up-and-coming 2B.

DO IT RICK 

(and get Sale at 50 cents while you're at it)

Just now, shago said:

... and we could use their 'blocked' up-and-coming 2B.

DO IT RICK 

(and get Sale at 50 cents while you're at it)

Are you talking about Duran? He just seems like another 2B that's similar to what we got (let's hope one hits kinda guy).  Jung would have to be the ask.  But again, many here have cemented Moncada into 3B 

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Are you talking about Duran? He just seems like another 2B that's similar to what we got (let's hope one hits kinda guy).  Jung would have to be the ask.  But again, many here have cemented Moncada into 3B 

Dunno, Duran even after being called up early did pretty darn good. Jung also has a shoulder and leg injury, not to mention a Texas homegrown fav, but I hear ya. Either work for me, plus payroll room to add another SP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/mlb/rangers/.amp/news/texas-rangers-ezequiel-duran-2022-40-man-roster-breakdown-analysis

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

After watching the free agent market I can confidently say that Chris Sale won't be cheap.  There is no reason for him to be cheap anymore.

Don't think that's true, rumors yesterday on MLB that Boston is considering eating half his contract, which makes sense to me, mentioned Dodgers, Rangers and the Sox as potential suitors. There was also an interesting discussion around making him a closer a la Smoltz / Eck, which given this thread is also interesting food for fodder...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shago said:

Dunno, Duran even after being called up early did pretty darn good. Jung also has a shoulder and leg injury, not to mention a Texas homegrown fav, but I hear ya. Either work for me, plus payroll room to add another SP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/mlb/rangers/.amp/news/texas-rangers-ezequiel-duran-2022-40-man-roster-breakdown-analysis

Why would another legit SP sign with the Sox? The rotation is full. They’d be looking at bullpen duty, most likely. Now, the Sox should be bringing in several milb type guys for insurance in Charlotte; I do not understand why Hahn hasn’t started that project because they need basically an entire rotation. But that’s different. 

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

After watching the free agent market I can confidently say that Chris Sale won't be cheap.  There is no reason for him to be cheap anymore.

Sale will absolutely come cheap, Boston would have to eat some contract.  He has a total of 47 innings over the past 3 seasons.  I'd totally be on the phone if they wanted to eat a ton of the contract.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why would another legit SP sign with the Sox? The rotation is full. They’d be looking at bullpen duty, most likely. Now, the Sox should be bringing in several milb type guys for insurance in Charlotte; I do not understand why Hahn hasn’t started that project because they need basically an entire rotation. But that’s different. 

I don't think our ambulance squad of Old Meat, Clevinger, and MK plus a serious question mark with Lucas is full, but call me nuts. May not be a 'legit' SP, but need another arm and agree with your comment about Charlotte, but welcome to Hahn World. Guy's an idiot.

7 minutes ago, shago said:

Don't think that's true, rumors yesterday on MLB that Boston is considering eating half his contract, which makes sense to me, mentioned Dodgers, Rangers and the Sox as potential suitors. There was also an interesting discussion around making him a closer a la Smoltz / Eck, which given this thread is also interesting food for fodder...

Boston would eat half the contract to get a gigantic return.  Seeing what pitchers are getting paid in this off season, Chris Sale under $20 million and on a short term deal has a ton of value.  If there are multiple teams interested, that is only going to increase the bidding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Boston would eat half the contract to get a gigantic return.  Seeing what pitchers are getting paid in this off season, Chris Sale under $20 million and on a short term deal has a ton of value.  If there are multiple teams interested, that is only going to increase the bidding.

I'd agree with this take. If Sale, even with injuries, came to market this season 2/55mm is very fair deal. Look at what Rodon got after ONE year of success and stigma of injury. Still got 2/44. Sale had a routine surgery nowadays (TJS) and then got hit with a comebacker and some bad luck. 

39 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sale will absolutely come cheap, Boston would have to eat some contract.  He has a total of 47 innings over the past 3 seasons.  I'd totally be on the phone if they wanted to eat a ton of the contract.  

He has a full no-trade clause and I don't see any way he'd want to come back to Chicago given the drama he dealt with while he was here.

33 minutes ago, shago said:

I don't think our ambulance squad of Old Meat, Clevinger, and MK plus a serious question mark with Lucas is full, but call me nuts. May not be a 'legit' SP, but need another arm and agree with your comment about Charlotte, but welcome to Hahn World. Guy's an idiot.

Conveniently leaving out our best pitcher in Cease.  The Sox are not signing a SP that is better than Cease, Lynn, Giolito, Kopech or Clevinger.  In fact, there aren't even any left that are better.  

We also don't really have any room in the bullpen because most of our relievers are on MLB deals or out of options.  So that leaves milb deal guys, which certainly should be a focus. 

22 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I'd agree with this take. If Sale, even with injuries, came to market this season 2/55mm is very fair deal. Look at what Rodon got after ONE year of success and stigma of injury. Still got 2/44. Sale had a routine surgery nowadays (TJS) and then got hit with a comebacker and some bad luck. 

The difference is obviously Rodon has pitched 317 innings over the last 3 seasons (2 years of success, not 1) and Sale has pitched 47

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

After the Eovaldi signing, the Rangers look like they have a clear need for a guy like Hendriks.  

Worth noting that Spotrac has the Rangers payroll counting arbitration at just under $216 million. The tax line this year is $233 million, and there's always some money spent during the season when guys go on the IL, so Hendriks basically would push the Rangers up to and likely over the tax line unless they had a way to send money out somewhere. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conveniently leaving out our best pitcher in Cease.  The Sox are not signing a SP that is better than Cease, Lynn, Giolito, Kopech or Clevinger.  In fact, there aren't even any left that are better.  

We also don't really have any room in the bullpen because most of our relievers are on MLB deals or out of options.  So that leaves milb deal guys, which certainly should be a focus. 

There's always room. You never have too much pitching. If they can't go on the DL or minor leagues, if they are good enough you are afraid to lose them, they should be tradeable. 

4 hours ago, T R U said:

The difference is obviously Rodon has pitched 317 innings over the last 3 seasons (2 years of success, not 1) and Sale has pitched 47

I referred to the contract that Rodon got after 2021. He had pitched 172IP over 3 years. He got a six year deal after two seasons of relative health. 

Basically choose your fighter. Rodon coming into the 2022 season off his 132IP with the Sox in 2021 and lingering shoulder concerns at 2/44 or Sale coming off his 3 year stretch at 2/55. Which do you choose? I'd personally go with Sale who has many 200ip+ seasons under his belt.