BA White Sox Top 10

DirtySox

The White Sox top 10 prospect list has been updated at Baseball America today. This list will soon be invalidated after Rick trades the top guys since the owner doesn't want to spend money during the "championship window."

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1026/chicago-white-sox/organizational/#110560

1.) Colson Montgomery

2.) Oscar Colas

3.) Bryan Ramos

4.) Noah Schultz

5.) Sean Burke

6.) Cristian Mena

7.) Peyton Pallette

8.) Norge Vera

9.) Jose Rodriguez

10.) Lenyn Sosa

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

Sharing the writeup on my guy Mena before he gets traded. 😥

6. Cristian Mena | RHP
Born: Dec 21, 2002
Bats: R Throws: R
Ht.: 6'2" Wt.: 170
Signed By: Marino De Leon
Minors: 2-6 | 3.80 ERA | 126 SO | 38 BB | 105 IP

Track Record: Mena signed with the White Sox for $250,000 during the 2019 international signing period, but his pro debut was delayed until 2021 by the pandemic. He impressed observers in the Arizona Complex League that season, paving the way for a breakthrough 2022. No other White Sox minor league pitcher has taken as big of a jump forward as Mena, who started the year at Low-A Kannapolis and finished in Double-A as part of the organization's 'Project Birmingham' initiative to provide personalized instruction to its brightest prospects. Mena was one of five teenage pitchers to log at least 100 innings in 2022. His 3.80 ERA and strikeout rate of 29% were bettered only by the Phillies' Andrew Painter, the BA Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

Scouting Report: Mena has added 40 pounds to his lanky 6-foot-2 frame since signing and increased the zip on his fastball. His heater ranges from 90-96 mph and sits 92-94 with good life. He has feel for the pitch and gets swings and misses up in the zone. His best offspeed pitch is a potentially plus curveball that he uses more than his fastball. His curve typically sits in the low 80s but can reach a few ticks higher. It shows 11-to-5 shape. During the 2022 season, Mena added a slider in the 83-86 mph range with sharpness and depth. It projects as at least a solid-average pitch and could trend up when he adds enough velocity to get more separation from his curveball. Mena is being encouraged to increase the usage of his average 87 mph changeup, which he throws with good arm speed and splitter-type break. His high three-quarters delivery is clean and repeatable, but he overthrows at times and comes off the ball.

The Future: There is still a lot of growth ahead for Mena, but he has a complete package of pitches that he throws for strikes and a drive to improve. He'll head back to Double-A Birmingham to start 2023.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 55. Curveball: 60. Slider: 50. Changeup: 50. Control: 50

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Here's Vera. The late season velocity drop I noticed was mentioned here as well.

Norge Vera | RHP

Born: Jun 1, 2000

Bats: R Throws: R

Ht.: 6'4" Wt.: 185

Drafted/Signed: Cuba, 2021.

Signed By: Marco Paddy/Ruddy Moreta/Doug Laumann.

Minors: 0-3 | 3.31 ERA | 52 SO | 31 BB | 36 IP

Track Record: The son of a Cuban baseball star by the same name, Vera signed with the White Sox in 2021 for $1.5 million. He began his career in the Dominican Summer League in 2021 and dominated much younger opponents but also missed time with arm fatigue. His 2022 season started late because of a lat injury, but he finally got on the mound in late May at extended spring training. Vera pitched his first official game in the U.S. on June 9, with 2.2 scoreless innings for Low-A Kannapolis. After seven more outings in Low-A, he moved to High-A Winston-Salem for two games before finishing the season with three starts for Double-A Birmingham.

Scouting Report: When healthy, Vera dominates with a plus-plus fastball with excellent life and extension. It sits 95-96 mph and peaks at 99. The ball explodes out of his hand, gets good carry and can seem invisible to hitters. Vera's velocity dropped to the low-to-mid 90s late in the season. The issue most likely stems from being out of action for so long, both before and after starting pro ball. His slider is a future above-average pitch that needs to be tightened and thrown with more conviction. It sits in the 82-86 mph range but needs to be harder. Vera rarely uses his mid-80s changeup, which is more of a downer pitch that lacks good action. With further refinement, the pitch could get to average. Vera pitches with a free and easy delivery which is inconsistent when he gets across his body and doesn't use his back side. At other times he gets high with his arm, but overall he has shown good feel for fixing issues.

The Future: Vera will spend the offseason in Arizona working out at Chicago's complex. How he looks in the spring will determine where and when he begins the 2023 season. He projects as a starting pitcher but could also thrive in a late-inning relief role.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 70. Slider: 55. Changeup: 50. Control: 45

Edited by DirtySox

Last freebie.

Bryan Ramos | 3B
Born: Mar 12, 2002
Bats: R Throws: R
Ht.: 6'2" Wt.: 190
Drafted/Signed: Cuba, 2018.
Signed By: Ruddy Moreta/Doug Laumann/Marco Paddy.
Minors: .266/.338/.455 | 22 HR | 1 SB | 462 AB

Track Record: Ramos has been younger than his competition everywhere he's played since starting his pro career at age 17 in the Rookie-level Arizona League in 2019. He spent most of 2022 at High-A Winston-Salem, where he hit .272/.350/.471 with 19 home runs and showed impressive mastery of the strike zone with 40 walks and 71 strikeouts in 99 games. He finished the year with 21 games at Double-A Birmingham. Ramos' season had its ups and downs, with a very strong April followed by a month in which he struggled before getting back into a groove for the rest of his time in High-A. Ramos' body has evolved over the last three years as he has added 35 pounds to his 6-foot-3 frame while staying lean and athletic.

Scouting Report: Ramos' hit tool projects as above-average, but he still has plenty of development ahead. He gets overly aggressive and chases pitches, and he sometimes tries to pull pitches he should be driving to right-center field. Ramos makes loud enough contact to project above-average power and has proven he can handle high velocity. Ramos' biggest strides have come with his defense at third base. His improved body has been a contributing factor, and he has made strides with his hands, footwork and arm strength as well. He's adept at coming in on balls and making plays down the line, while his arm should reach above-average. Ramos is a capable defender at second base but fits best at third base. Ramos is a below-average runner but not a base clogger. He's also shown excellent makeup and has worked diligently to learn English.

The Future: In 2023, Ramos will return to Double-A Birmingham, where he will again be young for the level. He projects as a solid-average regular in the big leagues.

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 55. Power: 55. Speed: 40. Fielding: 50. Arm: 55

Edited by DirtySox

couple things from the chat.

One, I love the way BA's writers write. Tired of the overly sarcastic tone of so many of the prospect guys (law, longenhagen). Really miss kevin goldstein.

Anyway:

Wilfred Veras is now exclusively corner OF.

Enjoyed this on Jacob Burke:

James (Chicago):

• Bill, do you have outfielder and recent 11th rounder Jacob Burke ranked in the 11-30 range? Thanks.

Bill Mitchell: James, the final 11-30, plus the extra bonus of the 31-40 list, will be finalized before the Handbook goes to press, but Jacob Burke should be in there somewhere. Drafted his past year out of Miami and paid an over-slot bonus, the comment I got on Burke is that he plays like his hair's on fire. A very interesting guy.

Don (Illinois):

• What causes some scouts to think Jose Rodriguez of the White Sox is more a utility players as oppose to a starting player at SS/2nd base since he is young for every league he has been in ?

Bill Mitchell: Don, see my answer to the previous question. It's more a question of bringing together the total game on a daily basis. Scouts notice that he's sometimes nonchalant on defense and he needs to keep developing his hittability, so there's still room for growth. But as you said, he's been young for every level so keep monitoring him as he develops.

With another draft and international class.m, the Sox system will be pretty interesting come July. It takes about 3 or 4 years to rebuild a farm, and the upcoming draft will be Shirley’s third full draft as Scouting Director and I’m very pleased by him and Marco Paddy. I just wished they could’ve drafted and developed guys like this during the rebuild.

Edited by Joshua Strong

• 2 weeks later...

I keep reading this and picking up new nuggets. I do think the BA guys are right, I really have expectations that come the draft in mid-july we are talking about a system suddenly strong in some high end pitching. It is also a real defining year for rodriguez/sosa/romy/perez to show they can sustain some of this success at higher levels with more scrutiny.

I really do like Shirley as a drafter, but we still know nothing. I do think he drafts guys that can hold prospect value longer for trades, which while Hostetler at times got us that depth, so many of his picks were considered maxed out by the time they hit A ball.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bmags said:

I keep reading this and picking up new nuggets. I do think the BA guys are right, I really have expectations that come the draft in mid-july we are talking about a system suddenly strong in some high end pitching. It is also a real defining year for rodriguez/sosa/romy/perez to show they can sustain some of this success at higher levels with more scrutiny.

I really do like Shirley as a drafter, but we still know nothing. I do think he drafts guys that can hold prospect value longer for trades, which while Hostetler at times got us that depth, so many of his picks were considered maxed out by the time they hit A ball.

We recorded a podcast with Bill Mitchell that will drop next Tuesday and it's pretty informative with info from instructs. He raved about Schultz and the pitching in general is much better with some real sleepers that have been signed internationally. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We recorded a podcast with Bill Mitchell that will drop next Tuesday and it's pretty informative with info from instructs. He raved about Schultz and the pitching in general is much better with some real sleepers that have been signed internationally. 

awesome!

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Schultz is such a wild card right now.  He is the type of guy that takes a system from middling to top, if he gets to his potential.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This was great. Love hearing a lot of plus makeup in the next group. Mena and Ramos sound like they’ll get out every ounce of talent they have

10 hours ago, bmags said:

This was great. Love hearing a lot of plus makeup in the next group. Mena and Ramos sound like they’ll get out every ounce of talent they have

We stopped recording and I asked about Ryan Burrowes. BA loves him as do the Sox. He’s finishing up his schooling in Panama and heading to Arizona. He had good things about Arnold Prado and Godwin Bennett too. I wish we were still recording. 

On 12/23/2022 at 9:47 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Sosa reminds a bit of Semien in that regard.  Marcus obviously had much better patience, but he put up some massive numbers in AA and never cracked a top 100 list to my knowledge.

Feels like there just wasn't enough of an emphasis put on minor league production & plate discipline a decade or so ago. I can't imagine you'd see a middle infielder (even if no one had him sticking at SS) putting up a 167 wRC+ in AA at 22 and not cracking a top 100 list.

• Like 1