BA White Sox Top 10

DirtySox

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Feels like there just wasn't enough of an emphasis put on minor league production & plate discipline a decade or so ago. I can't imagine you'd see a middle infielder (even if no one had him sticking at SS) putting up a 167 wRC+ in AA at 22 and not cracking a top 100 list.

It’s really wild when you look back on it, although I do think there was a bias against the Sox system at the time with the mainstream publications.

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We stopped recording and I asked about Ryan Burrowes. BA loves him as do the Sox. He’s finishing up his schooling in Panama and heading to Arizona. He had good things about Arnold Prado and Godwin Bennett too. I wish we were still recording. 

I had trouble hearing the name you all were talking about in the DSL who he said had a weird altuve like body, was that chappelli?

• 3 weeks later...

From A Dozen Key Takeaways From This Year's Top 10 Rankings.

9. The White Sox have the most international free agents among their Top 10 Prospects

Hall of Famer Minnie Miñoso, baseball’s first Black Latino star, spent the prime of his career with the White Sox in the 1950s. Miñoso was Cuban, and the White Sox continue to feature a Cuban presence to this day. Jose Abreu, Jose Contreras, Luis Robert, Alexei Ramirez and Yoan Moncada are all 21st century examples.

The trend extends to Chicago’s farm system, where outfielder Oscar Colas, third baseman Bryan Ramos and righthander Norge Vera are Cubans who headline the organization’s six international free agents in the top 10, the most of any team.

The other three are righthander Cristian Mena and shortstop Jose Rodriguez from the Dominican Republic and shortstop Lenyn Sosa from Venezuela.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/a-dozen-key-takeaways-from-this-year-s-top-10-prospects-rankings/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Hawk 1

It is amazing. It's why it's hard to figure out what to think of the current grade of our scouting/intl/pd. It actually does feel different, and hopefully that leads to much more success.

I think 2018, as Robert was about to clearly blow thru the system, it was rare to get any of our international classes into A+. 

If you look at like our 2013/2014/15 classes (we'll just uh, ignore that one guy), they were bad in DSL and then awful in Arizona. You'd be pumped about Amado Nunez and then he'd struggle to put up a .500 OPS. Adolfo we kept hoping on and he would barely play for 4 years.

Hey this franklin reyes guy sounds awesome whoa 440 ops. Such was life.

I feel like that's why Lenyn stuck out like he did. We hadn't seen anyone just hang in there as a younger prospect.

The outlier was Carlos Perez ho-hum climbing up the system.

• Like 3

Hell if I know where to put this, but Fegan had an insightful piece today with Andy Barkett quotes on Benintendi, Romy, and Colas. Pulled out the Colas stuff. Whole article is worth a read though.

Being of Cuban descent himself, Barkett began the discussion of Oscar Colás by emphasizing there’s no overstating the adjustment the 24-year-old outfielder underwent throughout his first season in affiliated baseball. Colás’ performance seemed to tick up as the year went on, even as he was promoted to face higher levels of competition. From learning how to deal with American umpires to arranging to have his family nearby or even figuring out how his compensation would work, Barkett suggests Colás’ on-field play improved as his off-field situation grew more settled.

“(Winston-Salem Dash manager) Lorenzo (Bundy) did an amazing job,” Barkett said. “Holding him accountable to the point of ‘Do you want to go to Double A? Do you want to move up? Well, you need to do this every day.’ (Colás) would come in his office after every game, and they would go over a checklist. ‘Did you do this today? Did you do this today?’ It wasn’t about getting two hits. It was like, ‘Did you go to the cage and prepare? Did you do your outfield work?’”

Ultimately, Barkett is high on Colás’ long-term potential to be an impact player, stating there is an above-average hit tool within him alongside what is more plainly obvious above-average power and throwing strength. He is wary of over-coaching or interfering with a player who is comfortable and confident when he’s being aggressive. For example, while he has talked to Colás about not over-rotating in his leg load to get to inside pitches, he thinks the problem mostly resolved itself when Colás hit a low-and-inside pitch “like 9 million feet” and realized he didn’t need to spin that hard to reach it and drive it.

Similarly, he sees other developmental hurdles for Colás working themselves out on their own for the most part but thinks he will have to get through some periods of struggle for that to take place.

“There’s so much bat speed and there’s so much ability there that he’s kind of like an outlier,” Barkett said. “To get Oscar to follow a game plan, I don’t think he’s there yet. He’s just so good that he’s like: ‘Yeah, that’s the game plan. Fine. Give me the bat — I’m gonna kill this guy.’ There’s a lot of dudes that are like that, and that’s OK. That works for him. So until that stops working, I think that he’s going to — he’s gonna go out there and compete. He believes that the club in his bag is better than that ball that guy is throwing. That’s kind of where he is right now. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

And so speaking from a hitting coordinator/player development standpoint, Barkett thinks it would be helpful if Colás got more than the 33 plate appearances he has under his belt at Triple A. He’s at peace with the idea of it not happening as well.

“But if you’ve got to put him in the big leagues to help the team win,” he said, “the coaching staff that’s in place there, I trust those guys to help him grow, and I think that he could do it if that’s the need.”

https://theathletic.com/4093648/2023/01/18/white-sox-andrew-benintendi-oscar-colas-romy-gonzalez/

Edited by DirtySox

I'm super excited about Colas don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure these quotes paint him in the greatest light? I don't love reading about a need to hold him accountable and about how he's not there yet regarding following a game plan. Perhaps that's something that comes with age, maturity, and experiencing failure? Would love to hear some counterpoints though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm super excited about Colas don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure these quotes paint him in the greatest light? I don't love reading about a need to hold him accountable and about how he's not there yet regarding following a game plan. Perhaps that's something that comes with age, maturity, and experiencing failure? Would love to hear some counterpoints though.

I think it probably goes to a different type of structure in Cuba around the professionals than what is seen in MLB.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think if he fails we'll look back on it. But I read it as a guy who was eager to prove he could be in the bigs by beating up on some A ball pitcher, while sox lower level instructors were trying to impress on him that what will prove he can get there is showing he can handle the major league routine. And that it was hard for him to see the value in that (vs game reps) when he was able to do things so easily. 

So, yeah, he's probably gonna strike out 40 % of the time then we'll see whether he's capable of adjusting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Wonder if it ties into his negative comment last year.  Could be something where he was too good for the levels he was at, but the Sox viewed him as having holes he needed to fix and he disagreed.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I think if he fails we'll look back on it. But I read it as a guy who was eager to prove he could be in the bigs by beating up on some A ball pitcher, while sox lower level instructors were trying to impress on him that what will prove he can get there is showing he can handle the major league routine. And that it was hard for him to see the value in that (vs game reps) when he was able to do things so easily. 

So, yeah, he's probably gonna strike out 40 % of the time then we'll see whether he's capable of adjusting.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Wonder if it ties into his negative comment last year.  Could be something where he was too good for the levels he was at, but the Sox viewed him as having holes he needed to fix and he disagreed.

It’s why I don’t think we need to see him in Charlotte. He’s going to destroy that league and not improve on the things he struggles with 

• Like 3

Baseball America sent out PDF’s to people who purchased the handbook. White Sox are ranked 28th which is obviously not great. Here’s the top 30: 

1. Montgomery 
2. Colas 
3. Ramos 
4. Schultz 
5. Burke 
6. Mena 
7. Pallette 
8. Vera
9. Rodriguez 
10. Sosa 
11. Cannon 
12. Thompson 
13. Simas 
14. Kelley 
15. McDougal 
16. Cespedes 
17. Veras 
18. Kath 
19. Sprinkle 
20. Mieses 
21. Stiever 
22. Bilous 
23. Burrowes 
24. Yolbert 
25. Tatum 
26. Hernandez 
27. Chapellí 
28. Schweitzer 
29. Dalquist 
30. Hackenberg 

I just don’t know if it’s possible for this front office to get our farm consistently in top 15 given their market size restrictions and just lack of effort to maximize those limited resources.

Only sell offs will get them on top ten.

But luckily we have a larger market size which will allow us to spend on big payrolls!

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just don’t know if it’s possible for this front office to get our farm consistently in top 15 given their market size restrictions and just lack of effort to maximize those limited resources.

Only sell offs will get them on top ten.

But luckily we have a larger market size which will allow us to spend on big payrolls!

Yeah agreed. They don’t get extra picks which hurts but they’d probably draft guys like Wes Kath and Andrew Dalquist with the picks anyway 

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah agreed. They don’t get extra picks which hurts but they’d probably draft guys like Wes Kath and Andrew Dalquist with the picks anyway 

At least if they missed it wouldn’t have meant punting on picks 5-10, which is what hurts so much more if Kelly, kath, dalquist are duds.

And honestly it was less kath as Macdougal that stressed that 2021 budget so hopefully he comes back as a dude.

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Baseball America sent out PDF’s to people who purchased the handbook. White Sox are ranked 28th which is obviously not great. Here’s the top 30: 

1. Montgomery 
2. Colas 
3. Ramos 
4. Schultz 
5. Burke 
6. Mena 
7. Pallette 
8. Vera
9. Rodriguez 
10. Sosa 
11. Cannon 
12. Thompson 
13. Simas 
14. Kelley 
15. McDougal 
16. Cespedes 
17. Veras 
18. Kath 
19. Sprinkle 
20. Mieses 
21. Stiever 
22. Bilous 
23. Burrowes 
24. Yolbert 
25. Tatum 
26. Hernandez 
27. Chapellí 
28. Schweitzer 
29. Dalquist 
30. Hackenberg 

I said after this past draft and I’ll say it again. It takes 4 years to rebuild a farm system, the Sox are in the midst of that process.

I am very curious to see where they rank post draft after having the 15th pick. I also think that Mena and Ramos will be top 100 prospects at the season’s end. 

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

1. Montgomery 
2. Colas 
3. Ramos 
4. Schultz 
5. Burke 
6. Mena 
7. Pallette 
8. Vera
9. Rodriguez 
10. Sosa 
11. Cannon 
12. Thompson 
13. Simas 
14. Kelley 
15. McDougal 
16. Cespedes 
17. Veras 
18. Kath 
19. Sprinkle 
20. Mieses 
21. Stiever 
22. Bilous 
23. Burrowes 
24. Yolbert 
25. Tatum 
26. Hernandez 
27. Chapellí 
28. Schweitzer 
29. Dalquist 
30. Hackenberg 

Atlanta and Milwaukee ranked below them?