6 Years Since Chris Sale Trade

LittleHurtCG

To me, Sale had anger management problems that he sometimes brought to the mound with him. This trade was, and is, still fine with me.

As with White Flag Trade, the tank showed again that the Sox failed to develop young players, and that is one reason they had to trade for young players on other teams. If the team doesn't want to spend mega bucks on free agents, they have to spend it on developing a farm system and building from within.  Are they doing that? 

17 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

No. Like you said they could have signed Charlie Morton and found a way to get a guy like Ervin Santana a couple years earlier and while he was still good. 

So your payroll is $50 million higher, so a $160-$170 million payroll? $12 million for Turner, $14 million for Cruz, $13.5 million for Santana, and $8 million for Morton, and that's probably a wild card team and Cleveland still outguns them? Yup.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So your payroll is $50 million higher, so a $160-$170 million payroll? $12 million for Turner, $14 million for Cruz, $13.5 million for Santana, and $8 million for Morton, and that's probably a wild card team and Cleveland still outguns them? Yup.

Cleveland likely outguns them in 2017 for sure. 2018 is another story as the division was wide open. Sox get in and anything can happen as Boston doesn't have Sale. 

6 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Cleveland likely outguns them in 2017 for sure. 2018 is another story as the division was wide open. Sox get in and anything can happen as Boston doesn't have Sale. 

Ervin Santana had an ERA of 8 in 2018. You are paying him $13.5 million.

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm fine with re-tooling as well. Even a soft rebuild where they're getting MLB ready young talent is fine. If they wanted to blow the whole thing up, I wouldn't care. 

No more tanking. It is not the way. Losing 95 plus games only to draft guys like Nick Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn doesn't work. 

4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

No more tanking. It is not the way. Losing 95 plus games only to draft guys like Nick Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn doesn't work. 

No, tanking is the way. It is the best way. 

Tanking>>>>>>>Mediocrity. 

Tanking gives the fanbase hope, even if misguided. Mediocrity crushes all hope. You are arguing for more mediocrity and I can't agree with that ever. Things have to get worse before they get better. 

If at first you don't succeed, tear it down and try again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

They couldn't put a winner on the field with Sale, and haven't been able to since trading him and others for massive hauls.  Its almost as if they are just really bad at this all around.

This, they really need to Fire Hahn and have KW resign. 

Also if Jerry is going to have such a budget operate like the Rays or A's goddammit. Pick a lane. 

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This, they really need to Fire Hahn and have KW resign. 

Also if Jerry is going to have such a budget operate like the Rays or A's goddammit. Pick a lane. 

I agree Hahn and Co needs fired... But nothing will change until Jerry is dead.  I mean the team is sold.

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, tanking is the way. It is the best way. 

Tanking>>>>>>>Mediocrity. 

Tanking gives the fanbase hope, even if misguided. Mediocrity crushes all hope. You are arguing for more mediocrity and I can't agree with that ever. Things have to get worse before they get better. 

If at first you don't succeed, tear it down and try again. 

Tanking is a legit option if you know how to draft, scout the international market, and develop players. The Sox cannot do any of that well therefore tanking is not an option for them. 

Another tank job by the Sox will only give the gullible fanbase hope. 

1 hour ago, Highland said:

To me, Sale had anger management problems that he sometimes brought to the mound with him. This trade was, and is, still fine with me.

As with White Flag Trade, the tank showed again that the Sox failed to develop young players, and that is one reason they had to trade for young players on other teams. If the team doesn't want to spend mega bucks on free agents, they have to spend it on developing a farm system and building from within.  Are they doing that? 

Chris Sale was an absolute stud. Miss watching that guy pitch every day on the South Side. Best Sox pitcher I've ever watched in person. 

1 minute ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Tanking is a legit option if you know how to draft, scout the international market, and develop players. The Sox cannot do any of that well therefore tanking is not an option for them. 

Another tank job by the Sox will only give the gullible fanbase hope. 

And yet you expect the White Sox to perfectly scout veterans to the point that they know exactly when Ervin Santana will turn to dust. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Chris Sale was an absolute stud. Miss watching that guy pitch every day on the South Side. Best Sox pitcher I've ever watched in person. 

And in your world, he gets TJS, we get nothing for him, and lose him as a free agent.  Seems way better.

1 hour ago, Highland said:

100%

Sox cannot develop younger guys.

Their success stories are almost always top tier prospects unless it's a pitcher, I give them credit there I guess

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The tank also got them half of this team which wouldn't be here, and they would have still sucked.

You have no idea on whether or not they would have sucked if they never tanked.  Things could have been much different if a new front office and scouting team was brought in. 

Again, they tanked a whole freaking season only to draft Nick freaking Madrigal. Lmao. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And in your world, he gets TJS, we get nothing for him, and lose him as a free agent.  Seems way better.

Sorry you can't see any alternatives. That seems to be the problem with many of the hardcore tankies. They don't seem to understand that baseball isn't yet played on spreadsheets and prospect ranking aren't gospel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

You have no idea on whether or not they would have sucked if they never tanked.  Things could have been much different if a new front office and scouting team was brought in. 

Again, they tanked a whole freaking season only to draft Nick freaking Madrigal. Lmao. 

You're pretending like a new front office wouldn't have improved the rebuilds too. Unfortunately that's not a valid path.

The two paths are: Continue to do what they are doing and trust that Rick Hahn can turn a 75 win team with a barren minor league system and a high (for them) payroll into a winner through his skill at acquiring veterans.

Trust that Rick Hahn can complete a rebuild.

The second option actually got them into the playoffs 1 and a half times! The former led to such wonderful moves as trading away Semien, Bassitt, and some other SS while having James Shields's contract become the worst contract on two different teams.