White Sox pick Nick Avila in Rule 5

southsider2k5

Just now, bmags said:

lotta players picked this year. I think teams finally realized the penalty is...not very exorbitant.

seemed to me like there was just a gentleman's agreement not to select anyone (which the union wouldn't be happy about) considering it cost $50k and you get half the money back if the player is returned. (it's now $100k/$50k under the new CBA)

Not much info on Avila, but I’ll take it. Cheap arm with some upside to possibly eat some innings in the 5th/6th inning…the Ruiz role. Looks like he was tried as a starter at 1 point, so even with the lack of innings so far I imagine he’s got some ability to stretch out and throw multiple innings.

“A Modesto native, Avila has been a breakout reliever prospect this season. After starting the year at High-A, Avila earned a promotion to Double-A and he has been even more effective for Richmond. Between both levels, Avila is sporting an incredible 0.79 ERA with 50 strikeouts (13 walks) and 13 saves in 45.1 innings (40 appearances). Avila features multiple fastballs that hover in the mid-90s alongside an eclectic assortment of breaking balls that have done an excellent job keeping opposing hitters off balance. He was selected as the best reliever in the Northwest League by Baseball America and will likely need to be added to the Giants 40-man roster this offseason. Otherwise, another team would likely select him in the Rule 5 draft.”

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/.amp/prospects/sf-giants-prospects-casey-schmitt-nick-swiney-baseball-america-tools

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not much info on Avila, but I’ll take it. Cheap arm with some upside to possibly eat some innings in the 5th/6th inning…the Ruiz role. Looks like he was tried as a starter at 1 point, so even with the lack of innings so far I imagine he’s got some ability to stretch out and throw multiple innings.

“A Modesto native, Avila has been a breakout reliever prospect this season. After starting the year at High-A, Avila earned a promotion to Double-A and he has been even more effective for Richmond. Between both levels, Avila is sporting an incredible 0.79 ERA with 50 strikeouts (13 walks) and 13 saves in 45.1 innings (40 appearances). Avila features multiple fastballs that hover in the mid-90s alongside an eclectic assortment of breaking balls that have done an excellent job keeping opposing hitters off balance. He was selected as the best reliever in the Northwest League by Baseball America and will likely need to be added to the Giants 40-man roster this offseason. Otherwise, another team would likely select him in the Rule 5 draft.”

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/.amp/prospects/sf-giants-prospects-casey-schmitt-nick-swiney-baseball-america-tools

Nice find, got nervous from his college write-up that he was another sinkerballer reliever. Like that he's a strike-thrower.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Alright competition for a long-relief role. Does Lambert still have options? If so, having him in AAA as SP depths at least helps, even if he's like #7 on the depth chart.

Yes, Lambert still has options.

Assuming Ruiz makes the big league roster, Lambert is presumably #8 on the depth chart.

Hendriks/Lopez/Graveman/Kelly/Bummer/Diekman/Ruiz (that's 7). Lambert with options is 8, this guy has a spot if:

• someone gets hurt,
  • Someone gets traded
  • or they carry an 8 man pen to open the season
  • or they move on from Ruiz, pretty sure that arbitration deals aren't guaranteed so it could be this guy vs. Ruiz
  • Bummer I believe technically has an option also. 

Obviously Crochet will fit into the mix at some point, but July 1 would still be fast compared to a lot of TJS guys, so I fully expect them to try to have him around in May or June because that's how they act.