Joey Gallo Rumor Thread

Chicago White Sox

How excited would you by his addition?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Select your excitement 1 to 10

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

If Adam Dunn could run & play defense like Gallo, he would have been a much better player. For as frustrating as this type of hitter is for some people, Gallo's well rounded enough to still offer value beyond just his bat.

Gallo is fundamentally a good OF . High rating in arm and jumps . Seems to have lost a step or 2. A better RFer than a LF. He didn't fare well in OAA (-5) with the Yankees in LF in 2022 but did much better with the Dodgers (2). Not really enough attempts to make a determination but for the last couple years his OAA has been better in RF. Don't want to go too far back defensively. He's a big guy 6'5" 250 and is down to the 46th percentile in sprint speed when in 2019 he was closer to 70%.

Garbage picking move for a garbage franchise, so it sounds about right. I wish my dad hadn't taken me to that Rangers @ White Sox doubleheader for my first professional sporting event. 

They've had success here and there with their dumpster diving. That's very unfortunate. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Garbage picking move for a garbage franchise, so it sounds about right. I wish my dad hadn't taken me to that Rangers @ White Sox doubleheader for my first professional sporting event. 

They've had success here and there with their dumpster diving. That's very unfortunate. 

It’s shocking how little effort they’re giving right now on the field and off. I had thought they might try and mend fences with the fans a lot more than this. I don’t know how Pedro is going to raise this up. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

It’s shocking how little effort they’re giving right now on the field and off. I had thought they might try and mend fences with the fans a lot more than this. I don’t know how Pedro is going to raise this up. 

I feel like this is my low point as a White Sox fan. And I'm 51 years old. They clearly have zero interest in trying to win a World Series for their fans. Zero.

If this Gallo signing happens, it's just one more kick in the nuts to their fans.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I feel like this is my low point as a White Sox fan. And I'm 51 years old. They clearly have zero interest in trying to win a World Series for their fans. Zero.

If this Gallo signing happens, it's just one more kick in the nuts to their fans.

Same. Low point. Mostly because this team had high expectations. But the suits failing over and over the last number of years to finish their work is like gut punching every year now. Watching them struggle with this endless trash show parade of stumblebums in the outfield is hard because it’s seemingly  their limit of performance. Someone above mentioned how low expectations  have gotten because there are people on  this forum that are cool with this. Yeah Gallo . Could be worse I guess 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I was thinking today about how Jerry's and the white sox's place in baseball was frustrating but made sense when it was largely the yankees/red sox/dodgers that just sucked up all the free agents. They were behaving wildly different than everyone else and when they won it was like "ok" but when they lost there was almost vindication that it shouldn't work. 

But it sure doesn't feel like that anymore. 

It feels like the teams that know they can't do that, and have put all their resources in being able to draft and develop and find talent everywhere that's controllable, and have been super successful.

Then your bigger market teams who both put a bunch of their resources in scouting and development AND using it to target star players and re-sign or get star players in FA.

And then you have the like rockies and white sox. 

It reminds me a bit of college football. You have the blue blood programs that just compete for the best, go after stars, spend a ton on the best coaches and development.

Then you have the teams who aren't that but do an amazing job leveling the playing field by finding the undervalued players and developing them with strength trianing and coaching.

And then you have like Nebraska, who still thinks it's a blue blood but isn't really doing either world well and is just kinda bitter and angry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That said could Joey Gallo work? Sure. It's really not fun seeing what happened to him in NY. 

I've said we needed power and he has power. But, boy, can't you just see a team with him and grandal where they are both equally lost and we are losing our minds?

Big improvement in the OF over what we saw last season.  And plenty of power.  But, he'd have to actually hit the ball in order to tap into the power.  I do think he'd be better away from NY, and the shift rules would be in his favor.  He'd be a very frustrating player to watch at times, though.

I wouldn't hate the move.  Wouldn't love it.

9 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

There's definitely something interesting to me about Benentinedi & Gallo being drastically different hitters, yet they have an identical career OPS+.

Bennintendi  and Gallo  Are 2 different players. One of our biggest gripes as white sox fans last year was the fact that this team stopped hitting  home runs.

Bennintendi's   Hitting is in the mold of the 22 white sox.

Whereas Joey G gives you the one thing that you did not do last year, and because of that you lost ball games, Home runs.

I'm not saying that Joey G is the next coming but I think hes a very different player than Andrew B and he is the type of player we need right now

Last season, the biggest weakness of this team was offense. How does losing their best hitter to free agency and then adding Joey Gallo do anything to strengthen that weakness? That would only leave second base, as a hole to fill, which is not likely to net any significant improvement in scoring runs. The only other pathways to a better offense wold then be better performance from the current core and, or trades. 

26 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Last season, the biggest weakness of this team was offense. How does losing their best hitter to free agency and then adding Joey Gallo do anything to strengthen that weakness? That would only leave second base, as a hole to fill, which is not likely to net any significant improvement in scoring runs. The only other pathways to a better offense wold then be better performance from the current core and, or trades. 

Well he does hit left handed.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He’s just another guy we would be hoping can return to the performance level of his glory days.When you are in your window to compete for multiple championships, don’t you usually try to add more of a sure thing?

That's not the White Sox way.

16 minutes ago, Lillian said:

This is getting worse every day. I think I'm just going to stop posting until the season starts.

I'm amazed at  the amount of blowback I get suggesting upgrades with speed defense and 25 to 28 yrs power bats for depth or as starters. I know they aren't Nimmo but I'm trying to work within whats been reported as the Sox budget.

Go on and be happy when you see Leury, Payton, Reyes , Eloy and Sheets back in the OF. No wonder some are thinking Gallo is acceptable when faced with the rest of the crap we've been hearing about.

I don't think trading Hendriks would signal a rebuild if they got younger but I'd hope they get some LH guys with 6 years of eligibility and ready to step into an MLB lineup today. Having an elite closer on a .500 team is a waste when the team can't hit either. If Eloy has a 40 HR season in him or Robert has a 30/30 year in him it better be this year.

Holding onto Hendriks is holding onto the dream that this team can still win but its also holding onto an asset that will start declining very soon. Tampa Bay would trade him because they trust their player development and scouting enough to take younger guys and develop them. Do that enough and you have a constant influx of young talent at every level ready to step in when your guys get too expensive for you. Depth and youth, thats how TB does it.

I don't know who the White Sox are. Clearly JR is willing to spend more than TB on payroll but has never seen the light about creating a powerhouse system. The Dodgers do it and they are also willing to spend large amounts of money. The Sox are mired in mediocrity because the ownership and FO have no idea how to break the cycle or didn't commit to it before the 1st rebuild started. They are themselves mediocre management.

I'd rather play upside guys who might struggle but eventually become good players than pay multi millions for Gallo and his quickly diminishing skill set.

If this year flops again welcome to another rebuild. Jerry must have made some good profits during the rebuild and wants to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He’s just another guy we would be hoping can return to the performance level of his glory days.When you are in your window to compete for multiple championships, don’t you usually try to add more of a sure thing?

“Glory days”

much like I remember the glory days of his contemporary, Adam Dunn.  So fun it was

#1 Why is there ambiguity on whether or not this is real info?  What Herbie read was plain as day.  So now that he is back-tracking it can only be that someone impersonated someone in his group chat (feels unlikely) and he was duped, that's it.  Or of course, that isn't "someone who should know", it is someone that acts like they "could know" when they are speculating... and both this asshole and Herbie can suck a bag of dicks. 

#2 Gallo is a legitimate OF so this is an upgrade.  He is also a major dice roll, which I'm OK with due to the majority of our core being kind of in a make it or break it year.  Super unpopular taek but I'm not certain the Sox should be adding any long term contracts this offseason.  

#3 If we are Gallo's best choice I really hope we can tempt him to sign a team option or two.  Even if they are at huge money.  Like for example, if it is 1/10, then we also get a club option for '24 at 18mm and 25' at 25mm.  

Edited by GREEDY