Joey Gallo Rumor Thread

Chicago White Sox

How excited would you by his addition?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Select your excitement 1 to 10

21 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Gallo aboslutly is an upgrade.. Though he'd be behind Conforto, and Benintendi for me

It’s easy to upgrade from Gavin Sheets pretending to be an RF.  But does it actually help the team win?  Who the hell knows. 

White Sox fans loved Adam Dunn. They are sure to take to Gallo. 

Benetti: "And that's a single through the middle for Moncada and the Sox have the bases loaded with just one out! Here comes Gallo!"

Strike out. Next AB is a roll over and we get zero. Over and over and over. Joey Gallo has hit THREE sacrifice flies in his career. THREE. IN HIS CAREER. 

For a guy that is a three outcome player you'd think he'd hit a warning track fly a bunch getting the guy in ... THREE. 

I'd rather have Sheets and the money in Jerry's pocket  than Gallo. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Doesn't the fact that the Dodgers were interested like 5 months ago make him slightly intriguing?  

I'm just excited to have more than one actual outfielder. 

51 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Holding onto Hendriks is holding onto the dream that this team can still win but its also holding onto an asset that will start declining very soon.

Agree. I actually think Hendriks has a few more years in him, but I agree with you ethos of the post whole heartedly. We've seen the contracts being put forth after this new CBA. It's incentivizes AAV, and thus longer term contracts. The windfall from the Apple deal + selling BAMtech to apple for just under a billion = about $65mm revenue per team. These are all tailwinds for spending and thus far you've seen it. That said, it does not match JR's philosophy of short term contracts. So we are at a crossroads. JR isn't going to sell a team that gives him a dividend each year and increases in value each year because as fans we're mad he pockets the money. Franchises like the Sox are worth a ton of money & he knows as long as he spends a bit more than the A's and Rays and makes it look like he's putting in SOME effort (aka strive for second place) then his franchise returns value. This is not changing. 

The quicker Sox fans come to grips with this, the more healthy and fun it will be to be a Sox fan. The overwhelming odds are that Anderson will be traded. Hendriks will be traded. Giolito will be traded. If you're not going to commit to the spending, you have to commit to the trading and turning over of the franchise. As it stands we're not a good enough team to win it all (unless all breaks correctly) and the runway is short. These guys are leaving and you need something in return other than compensatory picks that are going to take 2-3 years to get to the majors. We don't have enough depth in the minors, we have contracts that are ending, and we're too cheap to resign these guys ... the idea of just going down with the ship just isn't smart. Time to pivot. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Joey Gallo has hit THREE sacrifice flies in his career. THREE. IN HIS CAREER. 

This stat absolutely kills me.  Mr HIT THE BALL IN THE AIR! has 3 career sac flies and Abreu Mr ALL HE DOES IS HIT THE BALL ON THE GROUND has 49 career sac flies.  That's the difference between being a professional run producing hitter and a s%*# garbage time bullshit meaningless stat hitter.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Doesn't the fact that the Dodgers were interested like 5 months ago make him slightly intriguing?  

I'm just excited to have more than one actual outfielder. 

nope. not in the least to be honest. I think if we sign him and check in July on this post you'd be in my camp. Hopefully I am wrong if we sign him .... but check in with Yankees and Dodgers fans. Or even Texas fans by the end...  he's just not good. 

17 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I wouldn't, and we still have Sheets.  The defense trade alone makes it worth it. Gallo, despite his career .199 batting average, is a 10% above league average offesnive contributor.  I don't expect a Gallo to create fan excitement, but we literally have 1 OF on the 40 man roster.  If he's awful, we can still play Sheets.  If he's not, well then...he adds some things the 2022 version of this team was awful at.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

#1 Why is there ambiguity on whether or not this is real info?  What Herbie read was plain as day.  So now that he is back-tracking it can only be that someone impersonated someone in his group chat (feels unlikely) and he was duped, that's it.  Or of course, that isn't "someone who should know", it is someone that acts like they "could know" when they are speculating... and both this asshole and Herbie can suck a bag of dicks. 

#2 Gallo is a legitimate OF so this is an upgrade.  He is also a major dice roll, which I'm OK with due to the majority of our core being kind of in a make it or break it year.  Super unpopular taek but I'm not certain the Sox should be adding any long term contracts this offseason.  

#3 If we are Gallo's best choice I really hope we can tempt him to sign a team option or two.  Even if they are at huge money.  Like for example, if it is 1/10, then we also get a club option for '24 at 18mm and 25' at 25mm.  

#1 Nice

#2 If thinking Gallo is ok because he's an actual OFer pegged to play the OF that's about the lowest bar you have to clear to be happy. Yay, he's not a catcher pretending to be an OF.

#3 Gallo for 1 year would be bad enough, multiple years appalling. Didn't you say the same thing about Bellinger? 

I mean more power to you if you want to think those guys could give you something to consider them playable for long stretches . The Cubs paid for defense and baserunning and  maybe a 30% chance Bellinger will give them more than 2 War if he can hit only slightly better than he has for the last 2 years in their ballpark.

Gallo's huge body is just slowing down rapidly. From 2019 to 2022 his sprint speed went from 69.8 percentile to 46%.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't, and we still have Sheets.  The defense trade alone makes it worth it. Gallo, despite his career .199 batting average, is a 10% above league average offesnive contributor.  I don't expect a Gallo to create fan excitement, but we literally have 1 OF on the 40 man roster.  If he's awful, we can still play Sheets.  If he's not, well then...he adds some things the 2022 version of this team was awful at.  

Whilst that is true, his wages would mean bringing in another player who isn't a long shot reclamation project is even more difficult due to the supposed 180m limit. I'm sure there are OF who can hit and catch out there.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

#3 Gallo for 1 year would be bad enough, multiple years appalling. Didn't you say the same thing about Bellinger? 

Yes.  If you believe enough in the player to buy the lottery ticket, why not try and keep some control in the event your number comes up?  I understand why the player wouldn't want the options, but I don't understand why you or the team wouldn't want them.  

In the event he returns to form, I'm fairly confident that '24 at 1/18 wouldn't be "appalling".  

Just now, Chimpton said:

Whilst that is true, his wages would mean bringing in another player who isn't a long shot reclamation project is even more difficult due to the supposed 180m limit. I'm sure there are OF who can hit and catch out there.

I mean, who?  If the Sox have call it $15M to spend (I am not agreeing with it, just using it as an example), and need to fill call it two spots for sure (2 OFs), maybe a 2B and perhaps a backup catcher...how are you going to do that without some sort of reclamation project?  The options are extremely limited if that is your budget, and there really aren't any OFs that can "hit and catch" that fit into that self-imposed budget. 

2 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Gallo, a .199 lifetime hitter sounds like a perfect fit for this White Sox team.

Believe it or not, the Sox had the third highest batting average in the AL last season.  Batting average isn't the issue.  

• Like 1

Without question, Gallo was better with the Dodgers. His batting average improved from .159 to .160 for the season, thanks to his  .162 average with the Dodgers.  
He was also a much around hitter with the Dodgers, once he was able to escape the pressure of playing in New York.   His OPS improved from .621 to .638, thanks to raking at a brisk .671 in the City of Angels.
There is a concern  that he could be just a south-western guy, raking in humid Texas and sunny LA, while struggling in New York.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, who?  If the Sox have call it $15M to spend (I am not agreeing with it, just using it as an example), and need to fill call it two spots for sure (2 OFs), maybe a 2B and perhaps a backup catcher...how are you going to do that without some sort of reclamation project?  The options are extremely limited if that is your budget, and there really aren't any OFs that can "hit and catch" that fit into that self-imposed budget. 

Yep that is the depressing state that this rebuild has got to, the Sox have to shop in the bargain basement or below to fill the starting 9 let alone fill out the 40 man roster. 

2 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Bennintendi  and Gallo  Are 2 different players. One of our biggest gripes as white sox fans last year was the fact that this team stopped hitting  home runs.

Bennintendi's   Hitting is in the mold of the 22 white sox.

Whereas Joey G gives you the one thing that you did not do last year, and because of that you lost ball games, Home runs.

I'm not saying that Joey G is the next coming but I think hes a very different player than Andrew B and he is the type of player we need right now

Nobody needs a ballplayer that hit .160 last year. And Benintendi is more capable of hitting 19 home runs, Gallo's number last year, than Gallo is of batting .200. Putting the ball in play routinely, with success, still has value.

I agree the ballclub needs more home runs but they absolutely do not need to settle for yet another player that needs a massive rebound year. That's the whole lineup already. They are choosing to settle and that's why it's frustrating. 

Looking back at Gallos stats - hell to the No. I remember again why I never wanted him from Texas and that was when people thought he was good. 

No - unless the shift is going to magically add 75 points to his average and somehow get him to double his contact rate. 

I can see if now they will spend the same as Benitendi or others and it will be on Gallo and Frazier when they could have just gotten the same production as Gallo / Frazier from in house guys and actually had a Benitendi on the roster (you know a legitimately above average player).