Joey Gallo Rumor Thread

Chicago White Sox

How excited would you by his addition?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Select your excitement 1 to 10

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Looking back at Gallos stats - hell to the No. I remember again why I never wanted him from Texas and that was when people thought he was good. 

No - unless the shift is going to magically add 75 points to his average and somehow get him to double his contact rate. 

I can see if now they will spend the same as Benitendi or others and it will be on Gallo and Frazier when they could have just gotten the same production as Gallo / Frazier from in house guys and actually had a Benitendi on the roster (you know a legitimately above average player).

I don’t think shift rules will help this guy. There are no rules for outfielders shifting. They just play one of them in the short RF most teams played a 2B when there were no restrictions. If the guy hits a flyball, chances are it’s gone or a can of corn so the other 2 OF can easily cover the rest of the OF for a hitter of his ilk. 

7 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Whilst that is true, his wages would mean bringing in another player who isn't a long shot reclamation project is even more difficult due to the supposed 180m limit. I'm sure there are OF who can hit and catch out there.

There are or were but when I suggested them and keep suggesting them all I get are TLR emojis from the guy you're talking to. Of course my guys were depth pieces who would've cost next to nothing but Gallo had a good season but odd statistically  as recently as 2021 so even though 2022 was putrid and Gallo's giant body is slowing down at a rapid pace he's worth more ?

I don't get it either but its basically using career stats to support arguments for guys like Gallo, Bellinger and Conforto but the prices to find out if they are as bad as they have been most recently is very high.

Gallo is just aging rapidly and slowing down.

Bellinger is still slim and sleek and athletic but can't hit very well now due to a bad shoulder.

Conforto had a bad year then was out with injury for another year that was rumored to be from a drunken fall at a party.

If I had to chose between the 3 probably would pick Conforto based on who I think among those 3 was likely to help the Sox the most due to how well Conforto hit ( recent past) RHP but if Bellinger got $17.5M for 1 yr whats Conforto going to get ? $22M ?

The Sox won't even give MLB contracts to better depth pieces in the OF .$720K is too much when you can sign worse guys to minor league contracts.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Believe it or not, the Sox had the third highest batting average in the AL last season.  Batting average isn't the issue.  

It's fascinating. The Sox were one of the highest batting average teams in the league with one of the lowest strikeout rates and the most singles, but fans have convinced themselves that what they need are more low-strikeout contact-first guys

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Without question, Gallo was better with the Dodgers. His batting average improved from .159 to .160 for the season, thanks to his  .162 average with the Dodgers.  
He was also a much around hitter with the Dodgers, once he was able to escape the pressure of playing in New York.   His OPS improved from .621 to .638, thanks to raking at a brisk .671 in the City of Angels.
There is a concern  that he could be just a south-western guy, raking in humid Texas and sunny LA, while struggling in New York.  

Those Dodger numbers are "padded" (can you pad stats so atrocious?) from hitting at least 1 home run off a position player.  I'm not sure how many position player pitchers he dominated in NY. 

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can see if now they will spend the same as Benitendi or others and it will be on Gallo and Frazier when they could have just gotten the same production as Gallo / Frazier from in house guys and actually had a Benitendi on the roster (you know a legitimately above average player).

Joey Gallo: 752 career games, 15.1 fWAR

Andrew Benintendi: 745 games, 13.1 fWAR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are or were but when I suggested them and keep suggesting them all I get are TLR emojis from the guy you're talking to. Of course my guys were depth pieces who would've cost next to nothing but Gallo had a good season but odd statistically  as recently as 2021 so even though 2022 was putrid and Gallo's giant body is slowing down at a rapid pace he's worth more ?

I don't get it either but its basically using career stats to support arguments for guys like Gallo, Bellinger and Conforto but the prices to find out if they are as bad as they have been most recently is very high.

Gallo is just aging rapidly and slowing down.

Bellinger is still slim and sleek and athletic but can't hit very well now due to a bad shoulder.

Conforto had a bad year then was out with injury for another year that was rumored to be from a drunken fall at a party.

If I had to chose between the 3 probably would pick Conforto based on who I think among those 3 was likely to help the Sox the most due to how well Conforto hit ( recent past) RHP but if Bellinger got $17.5M for 1 yr whats Conforto going to get ? $22M ?

The Sox won't even give MLB contracts to better depth pieces in the OF .$720K is too much when you can sign worse guys to minor league contracts.

You get TLR emojis because it’s all you say. Move on dude. No one wants to hear you measure your electronic scouting penis anymore. It’s unbearable. Stone Garrett is gone and Aquino signed in the NPB because he’s awful. No one on Sox talk is impressed by your self acclaimed scouting greatness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Why is there this thought that Gallo will come to the White Sox and get better? How often do players come here and improve?  

I don't think the idea is that he improves, but rather just returns to prior levels of production. And if you ask me, that's better than signing another low ceiling type like David Peralta, or spending more money on a worse roster fit like Brantley

Gallo on a 1/$10 million deal for example really does not do anything for me

Fans need to ask themselves if the player repeated their 2022 performance, would we be happy? Hell no.

Typical White Sox to rely on a lightning in a bottle if everybody remains healthy and has a resurgent season we can possibly win the central

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's fascinating. The Sox were one of the highest batting average teams in the league with one of the lowest strikeout rates and the most singles, but fans have convinced themselves that what they need are more low-strikeout contact-first guys

The general mood of Sox internet was positive last night when the MLB The Show generation was online.  Then early this morning it turned to sour when the crotchety old men awoke to the news.  Now it is swinging back as younger people log back on.  Fascinating.  

If my budget is 12 million and I can't go longer than 1 year... why not?

If you want to just argue Jerry should spend more that is fine.  Don't get it twisted, everyone here is with you.  I'd like to hear from the people that prefer moves that are comparable in length and/or spend.  For me, with these constraints it is a Gallo dice roll or trading for a pre-arb option.  You can't just go with Eloy, Robert and Colas.  The high end for games played would be 400 amongst those three.  Need a 4th real option.  

Edited by GREEDY
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

47 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Yes.  If you believe enough in the player to buy the lottery ticket, why not try and keep some control in the event your number comes up?  I understand why the player wouldn't want the options, but I don't understand why you or the team wouldn't want them.  

In the event he returns to form, I'm fairly confident that '24 at 1/18 wouldn't be "appalling".  

I'm fairly confident he wont return to form based on research. You don't just give out contracts hoping guys return to form , you put in the work to determine how likely that is.

Bellinger shoulder issues but still slim and sleek and athletic likely to stay good defensive player and good baserunner for at least a couple more years. Shoulder makes it highly unlikely he finds his bat again but still useful in other ways . But pretty high premium price for a slight chance he finds offense again.

Gallo :He will never be as good as he was defensively because he is much slower now. Sure he's got good instincts in the OF  but no longer has the athleticism/speed required to use his good fundamentals to have any defensive rebound. He's a giant of a man. He's slowed down in all aspects.

Plus is Gallo really a lottery ticket at $8-10M for a year ? He's more like buying cigarettes, expensive and nasty habit, likely to kill your budget when combined with your constant purchase of buying smokes.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

The general mood of Sox internet was positive last night when the MLB The Show generation was online.  Then early this morning it turned to sour when the crotchety old men awoke to the news.  Now it is swinging back as younger people log back on.  Fascinating.  

If you want to just argue Jerry should spend more that is fine.  Don't get it twisted, everyone here is with you.  I'd like to hear from the people that prefer moves that are comparable in length and/or spend.  For me, with these constraints it is a Gallo dice roll or trading for a pre-arb option.  You can't just go with Eloy, Robert and Colas.  The 3 high end for games played would be 400 amongst those three.  Need a 4th real option.  

If all the White Sox have left to spend is $12 million then they need to be asking themselves whether they have any path to competing at all. This isn’t going to be any easier next offseason when Giolito, Clevinger, Lynn, Lopez, and Gallo (if brought in) are all gone, we will be talking about how to find 3 starters, a starting LF, and almost certainly bullpen help for about $50 million. Less than $10 million a player for 60% of a starting rotation is a mess! 

Maybe going with Gallo is the correct move and hoping for the best, but if they’re sitting around .500 and a few games back at the trade deadline; they have to be aggressive in clearing payroll and restocking even if they’re closer than you’d like to be if they called it quits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

This is pretty funny but also probably somewhat accurate. I'm in my 20s and most of the people I talk to love the idea of signing Gallo, which is definitely not indicative of the larger sample of White Sox fans

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think the idea is that he improves, but rather just returns to prior levels of production. And if you ask me, that's better than signing another low ceiling type like David Peralta, or spending more money on a worse roster fit like Brantley

Fair. But how many players do we already have whom we hope return to career norms? Grandal? Moncada? Giolito? Robert and eloy staying healthy. Now add another we "hope" gets back to normal. Why not get a Nimmo or Benintendi who are still playing solid ball? If that meant relying on Sosa and a veteran crapshoot at 2nd fine. I'd rather one of those 2 outfielders than signing multiple reclamation projects. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Fair. But how many players do we already have whom we hope return to career norms? Grandal? Moncada? Giolito? Robert and eloy staying healthy. Now add another we "hope" gets back to normal. Why not get a Nimmo or Benintendi who are still playing solid ball? If that meant relying on Sosa and a veteran crapshoot at 2nd fine. I'd rather one of those 2 outfielders than signing multiple reclamation projects. 

I agree that they should just sign more certainty, particularly with Nimmo. But if they're constraining themselves to low/mid-level options, I just prefer a higher ceiling (Conforto would be fine too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Gallo on a 1/$10 million deal for example really does not do anything for me

Fans need to ask themselves if the player repeated their 2022 performance, would we be happy? Hell no.

Typical White Sox to rely on a lightning in a bottle if everybody remains healthy and has a resurgent season we can possibly win the central

The Sox refuse to up their payroll to cover their bad spending. They also have no pipeline of minor league talent. The lighting in a bottle approach of 2006 to 2016 is back.  Better get used to it as it is the only way a franchise like the Sox can ever be succcessful. 

8 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

If you want to just argue Jerry should spend more that is fine.  Don't get it twisted, everyone here is with you.  I'd like to hear from the people that prefer moves that are comparable in length and/or spend.  For me, with these constraints it is a Gallo dice roll or trading for a pre-arb option.  You can't just go with Eloy, Robert and Colas.  The high end for games played would be 400 amongst those three.  Need a 4th real option.  

Lol this is so so so true.  + 1 million