Joey Gallo Rumor Thread

Chicago White Sox

How excited would you by his addition?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Select your excitement 1 to 10

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm fairly confident he wont return to form based on research. You don't just give out contracts hoping guys return to form , you put in the work to determine how likely that is.

Keep grinding, the organization appreciates your research.

Also, the likelyhood that Gallo returns to form appears to be a long shot based on 1/10.  Because if he were the same defender and hitter he was at his peak, he would be looking at a massive deal. 

At 1/10 in his age 29 season he is a lottery ticket.  You can be in favor of that dice roll without being certain that he is going to bounce back.  Because the alternative for 1/10 is.....  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But historically, not often

I don't buy into this curse of nl->al or left handed slugger nonsense. Jim Thome was near retirement. High school players never work in chicago, then colson came along.

I think it's fair that our scouting is bad, hence signing jon jay when he had no hips and being surprised his regression didn't come back.

But if Gallo is going to bounce back next year, I don't think it's that much less likely it occurs here. 

But pretty sure our ML scouting is led by hostetler, so no reason to think we'll strike well for gallo.

26 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think the idea is that he improves, but rather just returns to prior levels of production. And if you ask me, that's better than signing another low ceiling type like David Peralta, or spending more money on a worse roster fit like Brantley

Returning to prior levels of production is called improvement when your most recent production is terrible . I don't know why it always has to be old veterans you throw out as choices.

You might think Gallo at 29 in 2023 would have a better shot at a rebound but he's just bad . If you're going to take a shot at his 35HR  .350 OBP  glory days then the downside better be better than .280 OBP 15HRs while playing slightly above average defense (maybe) while K'ing 42% of the time while you have a lot of trouble scoring a runner from 3rd with less than 2 outs because you can't make any contact.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Keep grinding, the organization appreciates your research.

Also, the likelyhood that Gallo returns to form appears to be a long shot based on 1/10.  Because if he were the same defender and hitter he was at his peak, he would be looking at a massive deal. 

At 1/10 in his age 29 season he is a lottery ticket.  You can be in favor of that dice roll without being certain that he is going to bounce back.  Because the alternative for 1/10 is.....  

Lottery tickets do not cost $8-10M. He should be in Japan with Aquino. Gallo is a Hahn purchase . Hahn and Jerry appreciate your support.

The level of excitement for a Gallo would be less than a 5  if there were those choices but the thread maker chose to factiously give you choices of 10 and 9 as a joke  so you're not changing anyones mind  but Gallo would be a joke to a team mired in mediocrity and even a bigger joke to a team supposed to be having parades.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Returning to prior levels of production is called improvement when your most recent production is terrible . I don't know why it always has to be old veterans you throw out as choices.

Because it's the White Sox -- they're either signing someone like Gallo (or worse), or going with internal options

27 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

The general mood of Sox internet was positive last night when the MLB The Show generation was online.  Then early this morning it turned to sour when the crotchety old men awoke to the news.  Now it is swinging back as younger people log back on.  Fascinating. 

Spoken from my own crotchetiness, I think it’s sort of a mood-swingy thing by nature because one can both 1) Understand that Gallo may very well be the best possible realistic move and 2) Hate that that’s a rational and coherent thought.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I've accepted they're just going to have a lineup of guys hoping to bounce back and stay healthy. Worst case scenario, if they're not competitive, they should hopefully have some guys they can move in the summer.

This.  Let's just assume for a second the Sox sign Gallo to 1/$10M and Frazier for $1/5M and otherwise stand pat to stay under their self-imposed $185M payroll limit. 

Sox now have the following players with 1 or 2 seasons of control:

Contolled thru 2023: Grandal, Giolito, Lopez, Gallo, Frazier, Clevinger (mutual option for 24, but effectively only controlled 1 year), Diekman

Controlled thru 2024: Anderson (team option), Lynn (team option), Hendriks (team option), Kelly (team option), Graveman, Leury 

At that point, Sox can basically see how things go April-June 2023, and literally sell off a boatload of pieces with half a season to 1.5 seasons of control if it doesn't go well.  Sure, if it doesn't go well, certainly some of those players are going to be valueless (or close), but other will not be.  Its not the absolute worst case scenario.  

This doesn't even make mention of guys like Cease and Kopech who are controlled through 2025 that would have significant value if Sox decided to blow it up, especially Cease. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I've accepted they're just going to have a lineup of guys hoping to bounce back and stay healthy. Worst case scenario, if they're not competitive, they should hopefully have some guys they can move in the summer.

I'm betting they have a few guys improve, they wind up a few games under .500, but convince themselves that they're in the race because the Wild Card is only like 5 games ahead and don't sell off anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Because it's the White Sox -- they're either signing someone like Gallo (or worse), or going with internal options

True but there are other options but no one wants to hear those either. They'd rather take their chances with expensive physical wrecks than trade for youngsters because some youngsters means "OH no we're rebuilding" when it could also mean an infusion of speed, energy power that you just might produce immediate or future results.

We just saw Cleveland wipe the floor with us with that kind of team and we see TB compete every year despite having guys who arent household names.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This.  Let's just assume for a second the Sox sign Gallo to 1/$10M and Frazier for $1/5M and otherwise stand pat to stay under their self-imposed $185M payroll limit. 

Sox now have the following players with 1 or 2 seasons of control:

Contolled thru 2023: Grandal, Giolito, Lopez, Gallo, Frazier, Clevinger (mutual option for 24, but effectively only controlled 1 year), Diekman

Controlled thru 2024: Anderson (team option), Lynn (team option), Hendriks (team option), Kelly (team option), Graveman, Leury 

At that point, Sox can basically see how things go April-June 2023, and literally sell off a boatload of pieces with half a season to 1.5 seasons of control if it doesn't go well.  Sure, if it doesn't go well, certainly some of those players are going to be valueless (or close), but other will not be.  Its not the absolute worst case scenario.  

This doesn't even make mention of guys like Cease and Kopech who are controlled through 2025 that would have significant value if Sox decided to blow it up, especially Cease. 

Despite you always giving me the TLR emojis and Sacamano just giving me grief in general. It's not very far from my thinking. I'm just not in favor of adding the extra expensive valueless pieces and my way is actually getting a jump start on the rebuild should the likely outcome of not making the playoffs occur in 2023.

I'm just much more optimistic adding young players than adding expensive lottery tickets. I rather have athleticism and speed in the OF rather than bum shoulders and guys under 50% in sprint speed who also have power and years to develop even if they don't contribute right away.

I mean if the end result is going to be a rebuild wouldn't you rather have Outman now than Gallo ? I can't say which one may help the Sox more in 2023 but I know which one will cost a lot less and be around for a lot more years. TLR me baby.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm betting they have a few guys improve, they wind up a few games under .500, but convince themselves that they're in the race because the Wild Card is only like 5 games ahead and don't sell off anyone. 

It'd be pretty tough for this team to be worse than they were last year IMHO. Getting Tony out of the way is going to be immensely helpful. But yeah, key players are going to need to perform better than they did in 22 and stay on the field. 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just much more optimistic adding young players than adding expensive lottery tickets. I rather have athleticism and speed in the OF rather than bum shoulders and guys under 50% in sprint speed who also have power and years to develop even if they don't contribute right away.

I mean if the end result is going to be a rebuild wouldn't you rather have Outman now than Gallo ? I can't say which one may help the Sox more in 2023 but I know which one will cost a lot less and be around for a lot more years. TLR me baby.

Adding young, controllable players isn't free though.  That is what you conveniently ignore in your analysis.  Outman for example would be great to just add to this mix.  But now you lost your closer, or perhaps your SS (in a larger deal).  FAs like Gallo don't cost anything but $.  Sox can't really try to compete, while also trading off some of their best players.  The Sox are sort of boxed into at least giving this thing the ol' college try in 23.  If it fails, they can pivot midseason and/or next offseason.  

Also, for as much as you talk up guys like Outman or even Stone Garrett while bashing what someone like Gallo bring to the table, there is next to no chance those guys accumulate over 15 fWAR that Gallo did during their initial contracts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It'd be pretty tough for this team to be worse than they were last year IMHO. Getting Tony out of the way is going to be immensely helpful. But yeah, key players are going to need to perform better than they did in 22 and stay on the field. 

IMNHO, on paper right now they're worse than last year. They've lost a ton to free agency, they have a tougher schedule, and they outplayed their run differential last year thanks to performance in 1 run games that they may not match. But we've said this already. They need a substantial improvement from multiple guys just to be a couple games under .500 rather than 6-7 games under at the deadline. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

IMNHO, on paper right now they're worse than last year. They've lost a ton to free agency, they have a tougher schedule, and they outplayed their run differential last year thanks to performance in 1 run games that they may not match. But we've said this already. They need a substantial improvement from multiple guys just to be a couple games under .500 rather than 6-7 games under at the deadline. 

That seems terribly pessimistic and ignores a bunch of other factors, but to each their own.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lottery tickets do not cost $8-10M.

I’m imagining one of those scratch off lotto tickets the size of a fricken wall. Ugh, what a pain that would be. Needing a ladder to reach all the scratch off parts. And imagine the clean up!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"...and now we'll hear from the Defense."