Xander to the Padres - 11yrs 280M

maxjusttyped

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Where is the money coming from?  Is there a secret meth lab under Petco Park?

Baseball franchises are insanely profitable right now. 

League wide the average revenue is more than $10 billion. That’s at least $330 million yearly per team on average. A team filling its park will generate quite a bit more than that.

The costs of running a ballpark have risen a little but revenues have doubled in like 10 years. The true breakeven point therefore for most teams has to be 70% or 80% of their revenue going to players. 

If the Padres have a full ballpark and playoff games it isn’t crazy at all to think they’re still profitable with a $300 million payroll.

Teams that have payrolls less than $200 million are for the most part just printing money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Xander to the Padres - 11yrs 280M
8 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Now that SS market is moving, let's see if TA trade takes off.

I don't think it was a coincidence that article came out yesterday with the Sox poo pooing the Anderson trade. A SS going to a non-SS needy team definitely just upped TA's value. It also probably moved his value into that 8/200mm range as an extension. (total guess) God knows the Sox aren't doing that. There's absolutely no rush to trade him with 2 years left, but I'd be all ears if the right offer came around. That said, next year's class is weak. very weak. It's basically Amed Rosario and nothing else. You probably also see Machado opt out and cash in again. Enjoy Anderson's last year here, cause he's as good as gone before his contract ends. 

(this is not what I want, but I have to be a realist as a fan. I can't continue to be bitter that the Sox are bottom feeder/tier franchise. Otherwise every signing is sad/mad feelings. This franchise is Oakland and once we all accept that the better so we can discuss reality)

This deal makes sense for Bogaerts if it is structured so there isn't much money due to him at the backend.  

When Xander is 38 the only thing in the world that he can't buy is control of his destiny.  Hopefully he got 4/50 or something for that final stretch, so he has some flexibility in the event he is performing at either extreme end of the spectrum. 

4 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

One thing about this though is that their outfield defense would suck. Tatis and Soto aren’t good defensively. I guess it doesn’t matter that much when you can outslug everyone. 

I know we said this, but they're probably slightly more confident.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Baseball franchises are insanely profitable right now. 

League wide the average revenue is more than $10 billion. That’s at least $330 million yearly per team on average. A team filling its park will generate quite a bit more than that.

The costs of running a ballpark have risen a little but revenues have doubled in like 10 years. The true breakeven point therefore for most teams has to be 70% or 80% of their revenue going to players. 

If the Padres have a full ballpark and playoff games it isn’t crazy at all to think they’re still profitable with a $300 million payroll.

Teams that have payrolls less than $200 million are for the most part just printing money.

I agree. Mostly, I was just making a joke.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:44 PM, Tony said:

Gonna be an awful deal in come 2028-2029, but if the Padres can get a WS or two…you make that deal every day. Props to the Padres for actually pushing the chips to the center of the table. All you can ask for from ownership. 

I think you have to look at the total dollars, subtract a couple years, and see what the real average per year is. I'm other words do you want to spend, for example, $280,000,000 and spread it over 8 or 11 years? 

Look at these contracts and some of u balked at what was gonna be reasonable dollars for my guy, Abreu. Xander is 30, folks. That means he goes til 41. Jose is 36 in late Jan.

Folks, u need players like Jose A with HISTORY to win anything of note. Me thinks "some" Sox fans are way too engrossed in analytics. If not how do u justify them paying Xander thru age 41 season?

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Look at these contracts and some of u balked at what was gonna be reasonable dollars for my guy, Abreu. Xander is 30, folks. That means he goes til 41. Jose is 36 in late Jan.

Folks, u need players like Jose A with HISTORY to win anything of note. Me thinks "some" Sox fans are way too engrossed in analytics. If not how do u justify them paying Xander thru age 41 season?

The Padres don't.  They look at it trying to get a World Series win within a few years.