TA likes ominous tweet: The trade Anderson thread

5 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Tony LaRussa's hiring was perfectly emblematic for the vast levels of failure that are The Chicago White Sox. 

I really thought it couldn’t be that bad.  Young hungry team, change the game, Renteria’s game 3.  

It was worse.   Destroyed everything.  I’ve been the apologist for decades, 109 wins etc.  They broke me this year.

TLR killed all the spirit or at least it looks that way.  

• Like 8
  • TLR 1

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

As I said in the threads about Gio and Liam, it would be great if the Sox could pull that off, but there isn't even a peep that the Sox have been talking to the FA SS's, and no reason to believe they have.

I know - it is too bad - cause if they were willing to go on one of these shortstops - they could make a massive step forward for this club. Take whichever will take the shortest tenure contract (since we know JR is not going 6-10 years with anyone.  

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

What if the market for 9-11 year deals is done and all that is left is a 5 year deal.  The beauty of having this many free agent shortstops out there is at some point the # of teams that are willing to do this might be reduced.  

The second highest bidder always sets the market. 

The Sox should be taking advantage of this market and strongly consider selling Anderson, but I think there is zero chance it actually happens.  Even if he’s a monster in the clubhouse (which I’m not quite sold on yet), I can’t see the front office losing both faces of the franchise in the same off-season.  That would be the ultimate PR nightmare and goes against their desire to actually compete next year.

14 hours ago, Tony said:

Why are we acting like he isn’t part of the organization anymore? “When Kenny ran things…”

He’s Hahn’s boss. If he wanted a better scouting department and training staff, he could have it. 

I mean this is probably right but enough people have been 'promoted to avoid firing' in this org I'm not even sure

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox should be taking advantage of this market and strongly consider selling Anderson, but I think there is zero chance it actually happens.  Even if he’s a monster in the clubhouse (which I’m not quite sold on yet), I can’t see the front office losing both faces of the franchise in the same off-season.  That would be the ultimate PR nightmare and goes against their desire to actually compete next year.

I only want to mention that there was such disbelief Clevinger's behavior in 2020 was a big deal but we are talking about rumors the sox want to trade tim cause he let the team down getting a like 2 game suspension for arguing with an ump.

And it's believable! I am not a high level athlete (but I did do well in basketball last night) but seems reasonable these players who only have a short time in this league care a lot about making the playoffs and get annoyed when team leaders esp may not be pulling in the same direction.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I only want to mention that there was such disbelief Clevinger's behavior in 2020 was a big deal but we are talking about rumors the sox want to trade tim cause he let the team down getting a like 2 game suspension for arguing with an ump.

And it's believable! I am not a high level athlete (but I did do well in basketball last night) but seems reasonable these players who only have a short time in this league care a lot about making the playoffs and get annoyed when team leaders esp may not be pulling in the same direction.

I’m with you…I’m still unclear what makes him such a bad teammate.

10 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I really thought it couldn’t be that bad.  Young hungry team, change the game, Renteria’s game 3.  

Things change so quickly. Sox during the tank job/rebuild were acquiring pieces that presumably set a helluva great set of core players and Sox were fashionable again and thought highly of. Now they get rid of a stud like Abreu who is not heartbroken at all leaving this mess and guys like TA may be happy to get out as well. Now the Sox are a shambles as u said and pretty much a dull laughingstock with so so many holes on the roster to fill before this team can compete for anything.

Tony did set the tone for the zombielike play and non urgent play on a daily basis. However, Hahn and Kenny built this monstrocity of a roster. The team has no strengths (possible strength is starting pitching which means nothing in the era of five innings and shower time) and has dumped the best player on the team by far. As it turned out RR should still be the manager. The front office fell for the cliche he is good in helping young teams rebuild but can't win in the playoffs. Stupid. The new Tony had no chance of even getting to the playoffs much less win there.

Oh boy the Sox stink. Maybe new manager has a clue.

Edited by greg775

Alright so if I trade Timmy + Hendriks from the dodgers here would be what i'd go for:

I have sox around 177 now. If you trade TA+Hendriks that puts you at 150. In this scenario, we still are allowed to spend $30M, but realistically blowback could be harsh and Jerry could cap at like 165, but in this, we'd say 180.

Trade TA + Henriks to LAD
Receive Vargas, Pepiot, Rushing, Amaya

Fairly certain people will hate this, but I think Vargas likely best prospect we can get. We actually have a decent amount of pitching growing in system, but high end bats are not. Vargas is one. 

Pepiot should be available this year. Amaya should get you a strong defensive SS/2b with reasonable contact.

I would play Vargas in LF/1b and deal with same B.S. we always do. I know, but this is my plan.

The right thing would then be to go after swanson. But the white sox thing will be bad. I'm guessing Segura for 2nd, leaving Amaya as SS. He's an improvement defensively over TA, but I think we'd be lucky to get 95 wRC+ out of him and re-signing Mendick is probably smart.

If they did the right thing:
Lineup
Robert
Moncada
Eloy
Vaughn
Vargas
Grandal
Segura
Amaya
Colas

That looks like it could be a top 6 offense in AL if you have regression. And the thing is if sox don't have regression they are already screwed. 
Vargas is closest we could get to equalizing TAs bat.

If the team makes hay, it needs to be in pitching.

A staff of Cease, Lynn, Giolito, Kopech, Clevinger with Pepiot moved into 6th starter depth, and eventually a bullpen piece in 2nd half is much better to get through year.
The bullpen now is fully reliant on Lopez being good. 

Basically this is every bit the same "lightning in a bottle" team, except the potential that Vargas has the high end bat so few of our guys have lived up to. 

Looking at this, I'd say no. And if I'm Dodgers, I'd say no to lux. Muncy / TA / Lux  infield is what you need now that you aren't talking about moving Betts to 2b.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What video?

Sox put out a twitter promotional video of when TA was announced an all star and it's just him sitting in the locker room in dead silence until Abreu by himself claps and wlaks over, with the rest begrudgingly clapping after.

edit: said dugout earlier, meant locker room.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I will say the All Star video was extremely weird.

It was bad and hard to read all at the same time.  We could see on TV how segregated the team was.  It wasn't even just Tim, it looked like 1960s Birmingham  in the dugout all of the time.  The video could meant something about TIm, or it could have meant something about the team.  Thanks to our wonderful local media and their incredible research and reporting, we get to speculate, just like we do with all of the TA is a bad person stuff.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was bad and hard to read all at the same time.  We could see on TV how segregated the team was.  It wasn't even just Tim, it looked like 1960s Birmingham  in the dugout all of the time.  The video could meant something about TIm, or it could have meant something about the team.  Thanks to our wonderful local media and their incredible research and reporting, we get to speculate, just like we do with all of the TA is a bad person stuff.

Our local media is so fucking pathetic. I can't believe all the softball questions Rick gets now a days. Let him fucking have it and hold him and the organization accountable for their failures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Alright so if I trade Timmy + Hendriks from the dodgers here would be what i'd go for:

I have sox around 177 now. If you trade TA+Hendriks that puts you at 150. In this scenario, we still are allowed to spend $30M, but realistically blowback could be harsh and Jerry could cap at like 165, but in this, we'd say 180.

Fairly certain people will hate this, but I think Vargas likely best prospect we can get. We actually have a decent amount of pitching growing in system, but high end bats are not. Vargas is one. 

Pepiot should be available this year. Amaya should get you a strong defensive SS/2b with reasonable contact.

I would play Vargas in LF/1b and deal with same B.S. we always do. I know, but this is my plan.

The right thing would then be to go after swanson. But the white sox thing will be bad. I'm guessing Segura for 2nd, leaving Amaya as SS. He's an improvement defensively over TA, but I think we'd be lucky to get 95 wRC+ out of him and re-signing Mendick is probably smart.

Lineup
Robert
Moncada
Eloy
Vaughn
Vargas
Grandal
Segura
Amaya
Colas

That looks like it could be a top 6 offense in AL if you have regression. And the thing is if sox don't have regression they are already screwed. 

A staff of Cease, Lynn, Giolito, Kopech, Clevinger with Pepiot moved into 6th starter depth, and eventually a bullpen piece in 2nd half is much better to get through year.

Basically this is every bit the same "lightning in a bottle" team, except the potential that Vargas has the high end bat so few of our guys have lived up to. 

Looking at this, I'd say no. And if I'm Dodgers, I'd say no to lux. Muncy / TA / Lux  infield is what you need now that you aren't talking about moving Betts to 2b.

If you're trading them TA + Hendriks, I want Cartaya+.  Full stop at anything less.

Cartaya + Pepiot/Stone + Outman.

Gives us C of the future (who is blocked by  Will Smith in LAD), a rotation option for 2023 and an OF option for 2023.  Also frees up $25M ($40M in total) to figure out 1 more OF spot, SS and 2B.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You guys allowed a down season to really slant your views of a video that had nothing odd about it at all:

Odds are they found out earlier. Everyone is clapping, no one is mad. The locker room isn't segregated. Jaysus guys. The team was down at that time too and Tim wasn't going to treat an individual achievement as some all-ending celebration.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Our local media is so fucking pathetic. I can't believe all the softball questions Rick gets now a days. Let him fucking have it and hold him and the organization accountable for their failures. 

You can see how people defend him here, especially the part-time Sox internet personalities.  So I'm not surprised that the full time pros treat him similarly.  

It is honestly a decent life lesson.  Being affable and unassuming can take you a long way in this world and even more so: it gives you longevity.  

No clue if Rick has given the blogger types scoops over the years or if it is just that he has been kind to them in passing (he has been great anytime I've ran into him)... but they all, uniformly love the guy.  They will throw a little dig in print at an individual mistake (Leury) thinking it shows they are fair and balanced, but they aren't fooling anyone. 

If something bad happens:  Jerry Sucks

If something good happens:  Rick Hahn did it again dancing meme

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Lineup
Robert
Moncada
Eloy
Vaughn
Vargas
Grandal
Segura
Amaya
Colas

The problem with the Sox isn't spending but how they have allocated their budget.  I was having the same thought process but went a little different and bigger.

To Dodgers:  TA, Liam, and Gio      There is no way Gio resigns with the Sox and Dodgers looking for more SP with Buehler out for the year.  This drops our payroll to about 139.

From Dodgers:  Busch can play second and left handed, Pepiot as you noted, Gavin Stone as a second pitching prospect, and give me Outman as another LH bat who can play any OF spot defensively.  The trade analyzer says the return is actually a little light but I would be thrilled and wouldn't do it if LA either.  We would get younger and add some LH bats.  Probably need another starting pitcher if a youngster isn't ready right away but with the extra ten million and a hole at short could you go bigger and go for Correa with Swanson as fall back?  Montgomery would look good in maybe two years possibly at third for Moncada if he doesn't improve?