WSox listed as interested in Dbacks OFs

southsider2k5

Varsho doesn’t seem like anything special, but is a lefty that hit 27 HR’s and is very solid in the OF. Also can catch but his arm isn’t good enough to stick there apparently…but could have value for us there if Yaz is a complete bust again. 

Also wonder if they are looking to get out of the Marte contract…Marte + Varsho could be an interesting trade package for us. Don’t know what a realistic offer would be tho…Crochett seems like a decent starting point 

Does anyone have any idea what Jake McCarthy would cost? 

Having a hard time gauging his value, as he was not a top prospect and doesn’t have too high of a ceiling. But he’s already had decent MLB success at 24, hits left handed, and obviously has plenty of cheap team control.  

21 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Does anyone have any idea what Jake McCarthy would cost? 

Having a hard time gauging his value, as he was not a top prospect and doesn’t have too high of a ceiling. But he’s already had decent MLB success at 24, hits left handed, and obviously has plenty of cheap team control.  

McCarthy reminds me a little bit of Adam Eaton 

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I’ll take any… especially Thomas

I was surprised at how bad his numbers were last year. I saw he had decent numbers when they played the Sox. He must have really struggled in September.

6 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Varsho doesn’t seem like anything special, but is a lefty that hit 27 HR’s and is very solid in the OF. Also can catch but his arm isn’t good enough to stick there apparently…but could have value for us there if Yaz is a complete bust again. 

Also wonder if they are looking to get out of the Marte contract…Marte + Varsho could be an interesting trade package for us. Don’t know what a realistic offer would be tho…Crochett seems like a decent starting point 

Varsho is nothing special??

He might be the best defensive CF in baseball AND he hit 27 HR. Oh yeah, and he's a lefty. He was worth 4.6 fWAR in 2022. 

If the Sox got him, they could force Robert in to LF, or hell, even let Varsho catch (did I mention he's also a catcher) with Grandal and play CF on the days when he's not catching. 

If you're going to get Varsho + Marte (I would be ecstatic), then you're going to have to start that package around Montgomery....AND Crochet...and couple others.

Varsho is VERY special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He might be the best defensive CF in baseball AND he hit 27 HR. Oh yeah, and he's a lefty. He was worth 4.6 fWAR in 2022. 

If the Sox got him, they could force Robert in to LF, or hell, even let Varsho catch (did I mention he's also a catcher) with Grandal and play CF on the days when he's not catching. 

If you're going to get Varsho + Marte (I would be ecstatic), then you're going to have to start that package around Montgomery....AND Crochet...and couple others.

Varsho is VERY special.

Yeah he's very good and if we could get him for a deal surrounding Montgomery it would be worth it. But I still maintain it's really annoying to get value on a Varsho when so much what you are paying for is reasonable control and not straight up talent. Much easier to grade that on a 1 year basis. He is extremely good, but the control makes you value him so much higher in a trade.

That said, you are absolutely right that if the sox want to change the feel around their team, suddenly having an OF of Varsho/Robert/Colas with a Cespedes as a 4th OF eventually is a dynamite defensive group.

I am frequently surprised with the high valuations some forum members put on players from competing teams.  Those same posters frequently see our own players as hardly worth anything in trade value.  In the old days fans wanted to trade 3 or 4 garbage players for the other team's star player.  

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I am frequently surprised with the high valuations some forum members put on players from competing teams.  Those same posters frequently see our own players as hardly worth anything in trade value.  In the old days fans wanted to trade 3 or 4 garbage players for the other team's star player.  

The grass is always greener. It probably is human nature. Yes a guy passed his prime just might get back to his 2019 level,  or some other guy shoukd be even better than he was in the minors,but there is no way a 28 year old Moncada can possibly be the player he was in 2021.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:26 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Varsho is VERY special.

Had Varsho on my radar last year off season. I know I made at least one post about it. Nice to see he had such a good year

• TLR 2