Brandon Nimmo resigns with Mets 8yrs 162M

maxjusttyped

2 minutes ago, G13 said:

So you're thinking Jerry made $ last yr?  I was at about 10 games last yr.  Mainly weekend games, none were sold out.

This was before the $billion deal with Apple or the extra $30 million teams got last week. Jerry also has a sweetheart deal on the parking lots. He has plenty to continue his habit of lighting cigars with $100 bills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Look .. should Jerry greenlight deals like this....yes. should it be Brandon Nimmo getting a contract like this...hell no. This is STUPID money. He is a good fielder and makes good contact, but Trout is worth 80 mil a season at this rate

That’s the problem, this is the way the market is heading and Jerry can never compete in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Reinsdorf continuing to own the team given ~everything is a complete waste of everyone's time. He can't sell soon enough.

Jerry will never sell while he is alive because of the tax hit:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/8/29/23325369/jerry-reinsdorf-selling-chicago-white-sox-not-on-his-life

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This was before the $billion deal with Apple or the extra $30 million teams got last week. Jerry also has a sweetheart deal on the parking lots. He has plenty to continue his habit of lighting cigars with $100 bills.

That's also not counting the money made from concessions as well as advertising/marketing deals/sponsorships.

3 minutes ago, G13 said:

So you're thinking Jerry made $ last yr?  I was at about 10 games last yr.  Mainly weekend games, none were sold out.

Of course he made money. There's a lot TV money alone, which has no dependence on gate revenues.

Here's a possible issue. I suspect he made a lot more money during the rebuild years than now. Like 2018 when the Sox had the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball. It wouldn't surprise me if that was one of his most profitable years as a Sox owner. And maybe now he yearning for that, and thus cutting payroll despite the disastrous 2022 season, instead of expanding the payroll to improve the team.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's also not counting the money made from concessions as well as advertising/marketing deals/sponsorships.

It’s no coincidence that the 3 teams that have filed for bankruptcy in recent memory have all immediately been sold and followed that up with big spending sprees. There are no teams that are being sold to cash out because they’re losing money right now. These teams are all making huge profit margins.

29 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Good for the Mets. I'm jealous that we don't have their owner.

An owner like him would never buy a team with a non existing fan base.  The point of owning is to make $.  None of the owners in baseball lose money on purpose just to win.  They're rich, not stupid.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, G13 said:

An owner like him would never buy a team with a non existing fan base.  The point of owning is to make $.  None of the owners in baseball lose money on purpose just to win.  They're rich, not stupid.

The fan base has been molded in to what it is by 42 years of Jerry Reinsdorf's mediocre ownership. The White Sox are a potential goldmine for a new owner if they think outside of the box.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

The fan base has been molded in to what it is by 42 years of Jerry Reinsdorf's mediocre ownership. The White Sox are a potential goldmine for a new owner if they think outside of the box.

Yep it’s why he’s so scared to ever bring in anyone from the outside

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It shouldn’t even take outside the box thinking.  The parking lots sit empty half of the year.  A new owner that allowed entertainment to be built starts pulling in dollars year round.  Put out a consistent winner and the fan base not only supports them, but also grows.  Win consistently and you add playoff revenue regularly.  It’s not rocket science. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Of course he made money. There's a lot TV money alone, which has no dependence on gate revenues.

Here's a possible issue. I suspect he made a lot more money during the rebuild years than now. Like 2018 when the Sox had the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball. It wouldn't surprise me if that was one of his most profitable years as a Sox owner. And maybe now he yearning for that, and thus cutting payroll despite the disastrous 2022 season, instead of expanding the payroll to improve the team.

I said this too. But I was merely speculating like a frustrated fan.

In my view JR has spent adequate money over the years to produce many good seasons.  The FO which includes JR has spent the money in foolish ways is the problem.  The contracts to Leury and Kelly are recent examples of dumb money being spent.  A billionaire hobbyist is a better owner type to have in today's baseball environment than an ownership group.  However, plenty of teams have done well by running a well-managed front office.  In all probability...JR has had too much hands on with the day-to-day player decisions.  

38 minutes ago, poppysox said:

In my view JR has spent adequate money over the years to produce many good seasons.  The FO which includes JR has spent the money in foolish ways is the problem.  The contracts to Leury and Kelly are recent examples of dumb money being spent.  A billionaire hobbyist is a better owner type to have in today's baseball environment than an ownership group.  However, plenty of teams have done well by running a well-managed front office.  In all probability...JR has had too much hands on with the day-to-day player decisions.  

You're not wrong. The FO has spent a lot of foolish money, which really hurts when you have a tight budget.

But the fact that there are teams throwing out HUGE contracts while we are figuring out ways to get creative with trades and hopeful bounce-back candidates because we have to stay at this strict budget of $185M (or whatever it is) is ridiculous. Hahn deserves blame, but JR is the bigger problem by a mile, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You're not wrong. The FO has spent a lot of foolish money, which really hurts when you have a tight budget.

But the fact that there are teams throwing out HUGE contracts while we are figuring out ways to get creative with trades and hopeful bounce-back candidates because we have to stay at this strict budget of $185M (or whatever it is) is ridiculous. Hahn deserves blame, but JR is the bigger problem by a mile, in my opinion. 

This.