Sox working on signing a LF

CWSpalehoseCWS

9 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Please don’t be Gallo.  Please please don’t be Gallo.  

I wouldn’t be pissed at an outfield of 10D, Robert and Colas.  I’d look forward to seeing that switch to plus defense with a healthy mix of floor and upside.  

Eloy needs to DH

Who is 10D? 

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Looking forward to all of the trash food accounts. 

This generation of fake insider is smart enough to run with the possible "LF" clue and guess someone that can only play LF.  Can't believe none of the usual jokers have taken their shot yet. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Please don’t be Gallo.  Please please don’t be Gallo.  

The one advantage of Gallo is that, while he's likely to be terrible, they'd only be stuck with him for a  year; to that end, I'd prefer Conforto as the 1 year guy. 
Completely uninterested in a multi-year encumbrance with Benintendi.

I kind of hope its Gallo just to see about 75% of this board melt down.  I actually think he's a top 3 FA option at the moment, so I wouldn't be upset.  

Would prefer Beinintendi (don't see it happening) or Conforto (still think that is possible, but certainly prefer Gallo's defense).  Brantley would be the 4th best option, IMO.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I kind of hope its Gallo just to see about 75% of this board melt down.  I actually think he's a top 3 FA option at the moment, so I wouldn't be upset.  

Would prefer Beinintendi (don't see it happening) or Conforto (still think that is possible, but certainly prefer Gallo's defense).  Brantley would be the 4th best option, IMO.  

Gallo's defense hasn't been all that great the last couple of years, and is projected to slide a bit more moving forward. But, at least he will walk to get the OBP to almost .300.

• Haha 1

Benintendi isn’t coming here. He has other options to sign with a team who wants to win and I’m sure that’s what he wants. The Sox front office have to prove to free agents that they want to win. Only players that come here willingly are those near the end of the line or players that need to rehab so that other teams will want them again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Gallo's defense hasn't been all that great the last couple of years, and is projected to slide a bit more moving forward. But, at least he will walk to get the OBP to almost .300.

He is a measurably better OF than Conforto or Brantley.  I think he'd be the best mostly everyday LF defensively we've seen in Chicago in a very long time.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Benintendi isn’t coming here. He has other options to sign with a team who wants to win and I’m sure that’s what he wants. The Sox front office have to prove to free agents that they want to win. Only players that come here willingly are those near the end of the line or players that need to rehab so that other teams will want them again. 

This is probably Benentendi's best chance in his career at a multi year contract that generates a lifetime of wealth for him and his family. I would strongly bet that he will take the biggest contract offer he receives. I doubt that would be from someone who doesn't think they can compete right now, but look if the Rockies decided they wanted him and wanted to pay the most, he's moving to Denver. 

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

This is probably Benentendi's best chance in his career at a multi year contract that generates a lifetime of wealth for him and his family. I would strongly bet that he will take the biggest contract offer he receives. I doubt that would be from someone who doesn't think they can compete right now, but look if the Rockies decided they wanted him and wanted to pay the most, he's moving to Denver. 

This.  95/100 times, player goes to team that offers most money (perhaps with tax implications factored in).  This thought that the Sox can't sign FAs due to being the Sox is a bunch of BS.  They cannot sign major FAs because they rarely have the top offer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

this is ridiculous. The sox have won recently and TLR finally gone and a KC connection Grifol in tow...why wouldn't he expect to win here? WE are very jaded as fans, but if the sox are willing to pay they are very desirable as a city destination, a team with an easy division, and a clear starting opening. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is a measurably better OF than Conforto or Brantley.  I think he'd be the best mostly everyday LF defensively we've seen in Chicago in a very long time.  

The bar isn't too high there. I have no confidence the Sox can fix Gallo enough offensively to make him worthwhile. I would prefer Benentedi, but obviously that is too much for a team with multiple championship aspirations. Conforto would be my second choice, because if he's right, his offense will more than make up for any defense compared to Gallo, and if he's right, the defense could be a wash.

Only worry I have about Conforto is I’ve got him pegged as the last dude to sign… so I doubt it’ll be him.

All smoke signals point to Gallo and I’m kind of “meh” about that…

So I hope it’s Benny. Maybe he has some Griffol connection and our front office boner will finally get wet. 😆

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Only worry I have about Conforto is I’ve got him pegged as the last dude to sign… so I doubt it’ll be him.

All smoke signals point to Gallo and I’m kind of “meh” about that…

So I hope it’s Benny. Maybe he has some Griffol connection and our front office boner will finally get wet. 😆

To me, Conforto is the guy who you could score the biggest, but it's a crapshoot after a year off and surgery, and switching leagues.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The bar isn't too high there. I have no confidence the Sox can fix Gallo enough offensively to make him worthwhile. I would prefer Benentedi, but obviously that is too much for a team with multiple championship aspirations. Conforto would be my second choice, because if he's right, his offense will more than make up for any defense compared to Gallo, and if he's right, the defense could be a wash.

I don't think we're too far off.  I mostly agree with all of this.  I certainly prefer Benintendi and Conforto as well. 

But after those 2, there is a big drop off.  I think Gallo is the best of the rest.  I could see an arugement for Brantley, but I really do want to see the Sox play better defense in 2023.  I don't think Gallo will come here and put up a 4 WAR season.  But I think he could provide 2-2.5 WAR, play solid LF defense, walk a bit and provide some lineup balance.  I too would prefer they Sox have aimed higher and signed Nimmo, but alas...

Gallo would also likely provide Eloy the opportunity to play LF against LHP, shifting someone like Burger (if he's on the roster) or Yaz to DH.  Yaz, as poor as he was in 22, did still hit LHP well.  As much as I'd like Eloy's day in LF to be over, I think he'll get some reps out there.