Sox working on signing a LF

CWSpalehoseCWS

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think we're too far off.  I mostly agree with all of this.  I certainly prefer Benintendi and Conforto as well. 

But after those 2, there is a big drop off.  I think Gallo is the best of the rest.  I could see an arugement for Brantley, but I really do want to see the Sox play better defense in 2023.  I don't think Gallo will come here and put up a 4 WAR season.  But I think he could provide 2-2.5 WAR, play solid LF defense, walk a bit and provide some lineup balance.  I too would prefer they Sox have aimed higher and signed Nimmo, but alas...

Gallo would also likely provide Eloy the opportunity to play LF against LHP, shifting someone like Burger (if he's on the roster) or Yaz to DH.  Yaz, as poor as he was in 22, did still hit LHP well.  As much as I'd like Eloy's day in LF to be over, I think he'll get some reps out there.  

Yes, Brantley to me makes Eloy logging a lot of time in LF until he gets hurt, almost a lock. As a hitter, yes, but I'm with you, the team needs to upgrade defense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

Would anybody be mad at signing benentendi?

Not mad. A bit concerned about the long term plan as they already are looking at being worse after 2023 once they lose a couple of starting pitchers, if they have the same spending limitations next year then it will be even harder than this year. But otherwise, at least they filled the OF hole.

Just now, flavum said:

If you can remember “Ben in ten”, it’s a really easy name to spell and pronounce. Just sayin’. 

Yeah, I've never found it to be difficult.  But feels like 25% of this board spelled Engel as Engle for the past 5+ years so Benintendi is a big step up in difficulty. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not mad. A bit concerned about the long term plan as they already are looking at being worse after 2023 once they lose a couple of starting pitchers, if they have the same spending limitations next year then it will be even harder than this year. But otherwise, at least they filled the OF hole.

The Sox have like $75M coming off the payroll in 2024.  They should have plenty of money to spend in 2024, even if $175M is the threshold. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox have like $75M coming off the payroll in 2024.  They should have plenty of money to spend in 2024, even if $175M is the threshold. 

Yeah, but they still don't have replacements for most of those guys. They have 2 starting pitchers under contract, they could easily blow that $75 million on rebuilding their rotation before even worrying about the bullpen or position players. 

At the very least, I'm allowed to be nervous that they win 84 games this year with Benintendi and then have like 3 versions of cueto crewing their rotation next year.