Sox working on signing a LF

CWSpalehoseCWS

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

A couple of years at 18 mil plus for someone coming off a significant injury who's batting average when healthy the previous year was .232, no thanks

Yawn.  Who cares about batting average.  Conforto is career .265/.371/.502 hitter against RHP.  He mashes RHP, which is precisely what this club needs.  Is there risk with him being out last year?  Yeah, that's why you'll be able to get him on a shorter term deal.  He's not old.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Kaplan has sources true but he's also been wrong...a lot.

Remember him saying the Cubs were going to sign Pujois? Or that they would not be outbid for Tanaka? Or that Joe Girardi will be the Cubs next manager?

Can't say I recall any of that, but then again he's so annoying I never have watched or listened when he was on the radio.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pham would be OK as the 4th OF / Colas insurance.  Certainly not as the primary OF addition.  

I was giving an example of a primary addition that would get Hahn tarred, feathered and ridden out of town on a rail. 

I am expecting the worst. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yawn.  Who cares about batting average.  Conforto is career .265/.371/.502 hitter against RHP.  He mashes RHP, which is precisely what this club needs.  Is there risk with him being out last year?  Yeah, that's why you'll be able to get him on a shorter term deal.  He's not old.  

I care about someone coming off a shoulder injury (think Bellinger) who put up shitty numbers the year prior to becoming a free agent.  Boras won't agree to an incentive laden deal and will seek the most for his client so there's a 30 million dollar plus risk attached to Conforto.   With the way things are shaking he'll request 18, may end up with 14-15 but the ask will be there.

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

I care about someone coming off a shoulder injury (think Bellinger) who put up shitty numbers the year prior to becoming a free agent.  Boras won't agree to an incentive laden deal and will seek the most for his client so there's a 30 million dollar plus risk attached to Conforto.   With the way things are shaking he'll request 18, may end up with 14-15 but the ask will be there.

OK?  Pay the man 2/$30-35M with an opt out after 2023 if he wants it.  

• Like 1

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

f*** Risk. Do something

Spaceballs Do Something GIFs | Tenor

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was giving an example of a primary addition that would get Hahn tarred, feathered and ridden out of town on a rail. 

I am expecting the worst. 

By "tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail" I assume you mean "nothing will happen and he will be in exactly the same position next November."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yawn, then should we have signed Bellinger instead?

22 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

A couple of years at 18 mil plus for someone coming off a significant injury who's batting average when healthy the previous year was .232, no thanks

I frankly don't love it either, but at this point I'm willing to take a risk with an opt out to give him incentive to bust his a$$.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

By "tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail" I assume you mean "nothing will happen and he will be in exactly the same position next November."

I meant that the torches and pitchforks would be out at 333 W. 35th St. 

That's what the fans would want to do to him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I frankly don't love it either, but at this point I'm willing to take a risk with an opt out to give him incentive to bust his a$$.

Makes sense, if he takes an opt out after 1 year, I thought I read he was looking for a 2 year deal with an opt. out after the second year which adds significantly more $$$ and risk.

2 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Yawn, then should we have signed Bellinger instead?

Sure.  I'd prefer Conforto myself because, like I just laid out for you, he rakes RHP which is a very big need of this team.  But yeah, Bellinger would have been just behind Conforto on my list.  

If the Sox are willing to spend $10 million or so for a year of Gallo or Brantley, you'd think that they'd look at the benefits of spending another $4 million or so for Benintendi.  The issue, of course, is Benintendi will be seeking, and will get, a multi-year deal.  But, dammit, why wouldn't they say, "Well s%*#, let's solve LF for the next four seasons for $14 or $15 million a season?"

But, you know, logic.

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If the Sox are willing to spend $10 million or so for a year of Gallo or Brantley, you'd think that they'd look at the benefits of spending another $4 million or so for Benintendi.  The issue, of course, is Benintendi will be seeking, and will get, a multi-year deal.  But, dammit, why wouldn't they say, "Well s%*#, let's solve LF for the next four seasons for $14 or $15 million a season?"

But, you know, logic.

I will take the over on $14-15M AAV for Benintendi in this market.