Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

Here's something to think about when it comes to Benintendi and his power.

In 2021, Benintendi hit 17 homers while playing half of his games in KC's giant stadium. His expected HR if he played his games at GRate was 29. 

Last year, Benintendi hit only 5 homers while playing mostly in KC and a month in Yankee Stadium. Despite a career high BA, his ISO while in KC was only .078. Half of his career ISO. Once he moved to Yankee Stadium, his batting average dropped but his power went back to his career norms with a .149 ISO.

It's very evident that Benintendi altered his approach in KC to play to its spacious dimensions. I don't think the drop in power last year was because he lost his power. It was just him tailoring his approach to fit the ballpark he was playing in. I think he goes back to being a 20 home run guy if he plays half of his games at the Rate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chw42 said:

In 2021, Benintendi hit 17 homers while playing half of his games in KC's giant stadium. His expected HR if he played his games at GRate was 29. 

Last year, Benintendi hit only 5 homers while playing mostly in KC and a month in Yankee Stadium. Despite a career high BA, his ISO while in KC was only .078. Half of his career ISO. Once he moved to Yankee Stadium, his batting average dropped but his power went back to his career norms with a .149 ISO.

It's very evident that Benintendi altered his approach in KC to play to its spacious dimensions. I don't think the drop in power last year was because he lost his power. It was just him tailoring his approach to fit the ballpark he was playing in. I think he goes back to being a 20 home run guy if he plays half of his games at the Rate. 

Could it be that he was working with people in KC who had a "hit the ball on the ground" philosophy, and that Grifol was among them? 

• TLR 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Also probably got the good baseballs in NYC playing with Arson Judge. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Could it be that he was working with people in KC who had a "hit the ball on the ground" philosophy, and that Grifol was among them? 

His GB% did go up in KC last year. Then when he got traded, it went to the lowest of his career. 

It was definitely a change in approach. FWIW, his splits since he joined KC have favored his numbers on the road by quite a bit. Kaufmann was definitely holding him back. 

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No one else really to sign for 2B. Unless you grab Segura I guess.

Jean Segura is projected to get $12-13 million a year. There's no way that's happening for the Sox. There's a better chance of them bringing back Andrus to play 2B. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

They are loaded though and are a proven winner.  Sox, not so much.

It makes me think we gotta overpay for him. I think 4 years and $15 million a year is probably what his market is. The Sox might have to pay a few extra million to get him here. 

Edited by chw42

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Sign a second basemen next and shut the whiners here up.

I wouldn't call Sox fans whiners. I'd call them smart and accountable fans who have been subject to the worst franchise in baseball for countless decades. They are rightfully skeptical & upset. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chw42 said:

It makes me think we gotta overpay for him. I think 4 years and $15 million is probably what his market is. The Sox might have to pay a few extra million to get him here. 

Ya, he's stuck in that middle ground like Avi Garcia was a few years ago. He's a solid back and affordable to almost every franchise thus driving his overall cost. I'm w/ you on the 4/60 deal. He's probably worth closer to 4/48mm.

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

His GB% did go up in KC last year. Then when he got traded, it went to the lowest of his career. 

It was definitely a change in approach. FWIW, his splits since he joined KC have favored his numbers on the road by quite a bit. Kaufmann was definitely holding him back. 

Yeah, but that "lowest of his career" number was in only 131 plate appearances, so I'm uncertain how much weight to give to it. 

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It makes me think we gotta overpay for him. I think 4 years and $15 million a year is probably what his market is. The Sox might have to pay a few extra million to get him here. 

I tossed out 4/$70M .  I agree that we'll have to overpay a touch.  

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Signing Benintendi
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic