Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He is a little inconsistent and not all the metrics agree from year to year. However, the last 2 years he has had a positive UZR, a positive DRS, and an OAA of 0. Prior to that, UZR didn't like him in 2018-2020 and OAA and DRS didn't like him in 2019 - however none of those were the kinds of deep chasms that the White Sox saw from their corner OFs last year. In general, I get the impression of a guy who has become a stable if unspectacular fielder who won't carry you to wins based on his defense but who won't embarrass himself out there even if he's struggling with something that year. 

OF defensive metrics are often team dependent. It's possible he has gotten better in the last 2 years. It's also possible defensive metrics can't account for years of playing next to JBJ in a great defensive outfield.  With Betts in right, Boston could shade to left. Therefore Benintendi did not catch a bunch of balls that he could have gotten, but JBJ got them instead.  He may have the same problem with Robert, but that doesn't mean he's a bad outfielder.

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

OF defensive metrics are often team dependent. It's possible he has gotten better in the last 2 years. It's also possible defensive metrics can't account for years of playing next to JBJ in a great defensive outfield.  With Betts in right, Boston could shade to left. Therefore Benintendi did not catch a bunch of balls that he could have gotten, but JBJ got them instead.  He may have the same problem with Robert, but that doesn't mean he's a bad outfielder.

As a relevant reminder, coming off of a severe leg injury in 2021, Robert was no longer an elite defensive CF last year. Whether that carries over I offer no guarantees, but it is definitely relevant to that discussion. 

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Just worried about the dollar amount for what seems like an average player at best with no pop in his bat from a team that cries poor constantly. 

People are making him sound like he’s Podsednik at the plate. No reason to think he can’t hit 15-20 homers.  Our lefty hitters have been so bad, but GRF is paradise for a lefty.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

No chance in hell I'd rather do this over ~1 year/13M for Gallo, but ultimately, it'd be nice to see the Sox adding good players even if this isn't a very efficient use of the money.

I’m 100% nervous about giving a four year deal to Benintendi, but at this point I need some something to be excited about for the 2023 season and this helps.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

People are making him sound like he’s Podsednik at the plate. No reason to think he can’t hit 15-20 homers.  Our lefty hitters have been so bad, but GRF is paradise for a lefty.

But I was told that right-center field was a dead zone last year!

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As a relevant reminder, coming off of a severe leg injury in 2021, Robert was no longer an elite defensive CF last year. Whether that carries over I offer no guarantees, but it is definitely relevant to that discussion. 

If there's 1 thing I'm not concerned about at all for 2023, it's Robert's defense. His issues seemed mostly vision related which is scary but you'd think has been cleared up by now.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's almost like they're all total frauds and none of them have actual sources 🙂

Cracks me up, if you're going to spew nonsense on Twitter just for followers, why not set your sights on a bigger demo than hot stove interested Chicago White Sox fans?

• Haha 1

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Signing Benintendi
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic