Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

What - Gallo is straight trash.  Such a flawed player. You can tell me its okay his power will bounce back but Andrew is coming off multiple solid seasons and is just a good / solid all around player. Is he a superstar, no, but he's a good player, a quality hitter, a good baserunner, has speed, etc.  He's just a flat out solid all around ball player.  

So much better than what the Twins did.  

Compare Gallo and Benentendi OPS+ and then step away from the computer this is a great move 

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

The only thing he doesn’t provide the Sox needed was power, but I’m optimistic he can give them 15-20 homers.   I’m excited that this likely guarantees Eloy as DH.

Yep.....at GRF he definitely can give them more power than he's shown...and the upgrade defensively in LF from Eloy is massive. Eloy at DH only should hopefully be able to play 120+ games even with some inevitable injuries. If he can play 120+, he should go back to 30+ HRs...esp with this staff emphasizing power over contact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Compare Gallo and Benentendi OPS+ and then step away from the computer this is a great move 

I'm fine with either player, but their career OPS+ is separated by 1 point. For as drastically different as their skillsets are, they have essentially been the same calber of hitter during their career. Some people just get overly fixated on low batting averages & lots of strikeouts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I'm pretty sure I saw Twins fans lamenting the Twins for being cheap and not signing Benintendi for a few extra million per year. The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess. 

I go back to - and he did just sign with the Sox - so he clearly will just break. But he's 28, signed through age 33 ish - and pretty much his entire career he has been a solid baseball player.  He has also had some well above average seasons at the plate - and was once an extremely highly touted prospect. 

This seems like just an all around solid move and clearly addresses a major void (garbage outfield range/defense), poor baserunning (Benitendi is a solid / fast baserunner), and getting a left handed bat (who is a solid hitter).   

24 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Any potential 2B targets out there worth trading for? Considering Hahn was presumably dangling prospects for Murphy?

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lowe would be a perfect fit to round out the lineup. Doubt it happens, but like seeing him suggested.

Fathom on the money as usual, Lowe would be the guy to target if the Rays would be willing to trade for him a package led by anyone other than Colson.

41 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

it's fine. he's fine, the guarantee is fine. it's just fine.

This sums it up well. The only difference I would go on to say is - I didn't expect fine (but I am sure the Sox have a new surprise and they are going to dump 35M in payroll in another day and create 4 new holes haha).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I go back to - and he did just sign with the Sox - so he clearly will just break. But he's 28, signed through age 33 ish - and pretty much his entire career he has been a solid baseball player.  He has also had some well above average seasons at the plate - and was once an extremely highly touted prospect. 

This seems like just an all around solid move and clearly addresses a major void (garbage outfield range/defense), poor baserunning (Benitendi is a solid / fast baserunner), and getting a left handed bat (who is a solid hitter).   

Ding ding ding we have a winner. What do we have for him Johnny? 

At least Gallo was a 1 year commitment so if he sucks they can just walk away. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Hawk 1