Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's like me saying I have autism because I hyper focus at times. It isn't the same thing and is an insult to those who really suffer.

There’s also a lot of trauma from growing up through formative years and into adulthood being misdiagnosed.

Dude said it well… both situations aren’t fun and don’t need to be compared.

Chill out and talk about poop or butts.

• Like 2

He's a good signing. But please study his stats a bit before doing handstands. He does not hit for power, just doesn't. He had a good BA with the Royals last season, not with NYY.

Whatever ... he's better than our signings of the past and I don't want to be a jerk, but he's not all that. He's OK though and I'll take it. Welcome Bennie.

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t have much interest in trading Hendriks for catching help. I hope they get a lot more than Danny Jansen if the Jays are the team. 

What else do the Jays have that's MLB-ready that we would want? 

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He's a good signing. But please study his stats a bit before doing handstands. He does not hit for power, just doesn't. He had a good BA with the Royals last season, not with NYY.

Whatever ... he's better than our signings of the past and I don't want to be a jerk, but he's not all that. He's OK though and I'll take it. Welcome Bennie.

He would have hit 29 HRs as recently as 2021 if he was playing his home games at the Rate. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The foodies are complete frauds.  I do think Hendriks gets dealt though.

If it were me, I’d do the following to wrap up the off-season:

• Trade Ramos, Vera/Mena & Sosa/Romy to TB for Lowe
  • Trade Hendriks to TOR for Jansen and a pitching prospect
  • Trade Zavala to TBD team for a live arm with options
  • Sign Adam Duvall to a 1/$7M deal
  • Sign Alex Reyes to a 1/$2M deal

Run with this for next year:

Lineup: 1) Anderson, SS | 2) Benintendi*, LF | 3) Vaughn, 1B | 4) Jimenez, DH | 5) Lowe, 2B* | 6) Robert, CF | 7) Moncada, 3B# | C) Jansen*, C | 9) Colas*, RF

Bench: IF) Gonzalez | OF) Duvall | UT) Garcia# | BC) Grandal#

Rotation: 1) Cease | 2) Lynn | 3) Giolito | 4) Kopech | 5) Clevinger

Bullpen: CL) Lopez | SU) Graveman | SU) Bummer* | MR) Kelly | MR) Diekman* | MR) Reyes | MR) Ruiz/Lambert | LR) Avila

Don’t hate it, but I need a damn good pitching prospect in that Toronto deal. Losing Liam really shows on that pen. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Is this a hint that they are actually shopping him?

They are definitely shopping him. The Sox are currently at a $182 million payroll and they still have 2B, 4th OFer, and possibly another catcher as spots they need to fill. The Benintendi signing makes that pretty clear. However, if they're willing to either salary dump Graveman or Kelly, I'd be ok with that too. 

Biggio isn’t very good

He does get shifted on a lot and hits a lot of singles to the right side so probably even more singles than before. Takes walks so maybe he could get his OBP to up around .350. If he could hit 10 Hrs and keep his slg. at .400 or so a .750 OPS from him wouldn't be bad at all.

Haven't checked on his fielding.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

They are definitely shopping him. The Sox are currently at a $182 million payroll and they still have 2B, 4th OFer, and possibly another catcher as spots they need to fill. The Benintendi signing makes that pretty clear. However, if they're willing to either salary dump Graveman or Kelly, I'd be ok with that too. 

I guess I’m after more confirmation than the internet speculation I’ve seen. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are.  A cost cutting move definitely feels like it’s coming next, and probably soon.  I just hope it’s something that we don’t hate. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Don’t hate it, but I need a damn good pitching prospect in that Toronto deal. Losing Liam really shows on that pen. 

Yes, I’d want a solid pitching prospect that can provide some SP depth.  That being said, Crochet will be back at some point and we can always “argument” the bullpen in season to use a Rick Hahn word.  I think that bullpen can be good enough though, especially if Reyes can bounce back.

The foodies are complete frauds.  I do think Hendriks gets dealt though.

If it were me, I’d do the following to wrap up the off-season:

• Trade Ramos, Vera/Mena & Sosa/Romy to TB for Lowe
  • Trade Hendriks to TOR for Jansen and a pitching prospect
  • Trade Zavala to TBD team for a live arm with options
  • Sign Adam Duvall to a 1/$7M deal
  • Sign Alex Reyes to a 1/$2M deal

Run with this for next year:

Lineup: 1) Anderson, SS | 2) Benintendi*, LF | 3) Vaughn, 1B | 4) Jimenez, DH | 5) Lowe, 2B* | 6) Robert, CF | 7) Moncada, 3B# | C) Jansen*, C | 9) Colas*, RF

Bench: IF) Gonzalez | OF) Duvall | UT) Garcia# | BC) Grandal#

Rotation: 1) Cease | 2) Lynn | 3) Giolito | 4) Kopech | 5) Clevinger

Bullpen: CL) Lopez | SU) Graveman | SU) Bummer* | MR) Kelly | MR) Diekman* | MR) Reyes | MR) Ruiz/Lambert | LR) Avila

This would turn out to be a great offseason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll save my judgement for when we find out who is getting shipped out to accommodate this signing. 

Generally when you hear your team just signed someone to the richest contract in team history you expect better than Andrew Benintendi. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, T R U said:

I’ll save my judgement for when we find out who is getting shipped out to accommodate this signing. 

Generally when you hear your team just signed someone to the richest contract in team history you expect better than Andrew Benintendi. 

To be fair, the contract amount is $75M in the year 2022.

• Like 2