Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

I don’t get all the hate. f*** of ya’ll Debbie Downers. Go start a pity party thread and keep bitching there.

Solid move.

No question.

Benny is a pretty good  no. 2 hitter on this team.

TA + Benny+ Robert  is a great top of the order....Benny and the Jets.

Eloy could have a lot of RBI as clean-up hitter behind them.

I like this deal, it’s aggressive, and the Sox should be aggressive right now. I’m not gonna s%*# on them.

I will, however, say this:

1. If this comes on the heel of dumping a different useful player to make the money work, then it’s a wash.

2. It would be nice if, for once, the Sox started spending their “big money” at the top of the market instead of the middle. I say this not because guys like Benintendi aren’t good or that they don’t need someone like him, but because from a resource allocation standpoint, you get a lot more value for your money at the top. One of the hallmarks of this current spending window is the the Sox love to pay market rate on a per WAR basis — the average-ish players tend to fall right in the $9M/WAR range, while your $30M+ Bryce Harpers are way ahead of that, sometimes $4-7M/WAR or something. When it comes to setting a spending strategy, this is a really easily modeling problem, and it seems like most teams have solved it, but our team hasn’t thought to look into it.

Again, good on them for putting the money in to patch the hole. I remain unconvinced they know how to patch holes, generally, but I’m happy that they showed today that they’re still trying. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
Bruce Harper
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I like this deal, it’s aggressive, and the Sox should be aggressive right now. I’m not gonna s%*# on them.

I will, however, say this:

1. If this comes on the heel of dumping a different useful player to make the money work, then it’s a wash.

2. It would be nice if, for once, the Sox started spending their “big money” at the top of the market instead of the middle. I say this not because guys like Benintendi aren’t good or that they don’t need someone like him, but because from a resource allocation standpoint, you get a lot more value for your money at the top. One of the hallmarks of this current spending window is the the Sox love to pay market rate on a per WAR basis — the average-ish players tend to fall right in the $9M/WAR range, while your $30M+ Bryce Harpers are way ahead of that, sometimes $4-7M/WAR or something. When it comes to setting a spending strategy, this is a really easily modeling problem, and it seems like most teams have solved it, but our team hasn’t thought to look into it.

Again, good on them for putting the money in to patch the hole. I remain unconvinced they know how to patch holes, generally, but I’m happy that they showed today that they’re still trying. 

Yeah - I would like them to follow this up by making a nice trade for a cost controlled guy that fills a need. Lowe, Ketel Marte, Chisholm…go back and give up some prospects and make one more big move. I will caveat risk with any of them given the cost. 

Or JR could just spend a bit more - give Segura a 1yr deal and use the minor league chips for something else / hold on reserve for deadline. Not saying Segura is super splashy either. But he is solid and adds versatility. 

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

The signing is OK if they are trying to win over the next few years (hopefully they will be).

The Sox need Benintendi's more consistent OBP more with the players they have. Even though he can only play LF, the good aspect of this is Eloy won't be playing LF regularly barring a season ending injury to someone. Hopefully he can retain his motivation now that he has five years banked, because the Sox had too many unmotivated money in the bank players last season.

Still would have preferred keeping the one player who always stayed motivated and on the field (Abreu), and moved Eloy for Pablo Lopez or another quality starter and would be fine going with Benintendi and Segura at 2B to adequately cover the lineup, with C the hopefully positive ?.

Position Player (Salary /Proj FGDC fWAR) Salary amounts from Fangraphs (Actual/Estimates) 

Hitters ($114.1M / 25.3 fWAR)

1. SS Anderson ($12.5M / 3.0)
  2. LF Benintendi ^ ($15M / 2.3)
  3. CF Robert ($9.5M / 4.0)
  4. 1B Abreu ($19.5M / 2.5)
  5. 3B Moncada # ($17.8M / 2.5)
  6. DH Vaughn ($0.7M / 2.3)
  7. RF Colas ($0.7M / 1.9)
  8.  C Grandal #/ Zavala (Combined $19.0M / 3.1)
  9. 2B Segura ($12M / 2.6)

3B/DH Burger ($0.7M / 0.7) 2B/SS/OF Garcia # ($5.5M / 0.2) OF J. Bradley Jr. ^ ($1.2M / 0.2)

Pitching ($87.8M / 16.6 fWAR)

1. Cease ($5.3M / 3.3)
  2. Lynn ($18.5M / 2.8)
  3. Giolito ($10.8M / 2.0)
  4. Pablo Lopez ($5.6M / 2.8)
  5. Kopech ($2.2M / 1.1)
  1. Hendriks ($14.3M / 1.9)
  2. Bummer ^ ($3.8M / 0.9)
  3. Graveman ($8.0M / 0.5)
  4. R. Lopez ($3.3M / 0.5)
  5. Diekman ^ ($3.5M / 0.2)
  6. Kelly ($9.0M / 0.5)
  7. Ruiz ($1.0M / 0.0)
  8. Michael Fulmer ($2.5M / 0.1)

Total 2023 $201.9M / 41.9 fWAR

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m the same way.  I think there is a mistake element signing someone of his stature to a long-term deal, but at this point any useful player that only costs will have me excited for now.

Finally some good news about a good LH outfielder.  Not worried about the contract. Sox finally acting like a major market team.

5 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

It really seems like the main reason he's down on the Sox as even contending for a wild card (aside from the 2B situation) is that he thinks Gavin Sheets is the primary DH

Yeah I found that too be very weird when reading. Like sure, I probably wouldn't be thrilled about the position either if Gavin was the primary DH, so it's a good thing that he isn't. 

• Like 1

Well I'm going to have to eat a little crow here. I didn't think Jerry was going to throw around any of his nickels this off-season. Benintendi is far from the impact player this team needs, But he does fill a void. A high OBP guy hitting before Eloy and Robert (if our new hitting coaches can resurge their power), could lead to a lot of 2 and 3 run homers, something we saw precious little of last year.

14 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Well I'm going to have to eat a little crow here. I didn't think Jerry was going to throw around any of his nickels this off-season. Benintendi is far from the impact player this team needs, But he does fill a void. A high OBP guy hitting before Eloy and Robert (if our new hitting coaches can resurge their power), could lead to a lot of 2 and 3 run homers, something we saw precious little of last year.

It’s going to be interesting to see what we do next.  I hope Hahn isn’t done yet and that we don’t have to move salary to make Benintendi fit.  I’d love to see us add a LH hitting 2B and possibly a catcher to mix.  Be nice to go into the season without any major holes for once, even if depth is still lacking in certain areas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Are there rumors of Madrigal coming back?

No and I think the front office soured on Madrigal pretty quickly once he entered the organization and Hostetler lost influence.  As such, I doubt they would ever bring him back.  Sounds like he’s a weird clubhouse guy too.

• Like 1

Listen:

- I’m happy that the Sox aren’t just going to pocket $30 million to pay back shareholders for 2020. 
- I’m happy that outfield defense is not compromised and Eloy is not going back. 
- I think his defense is being underrated and overrated. I think there are some extremely weird effects of measuring green monster stuff in Boston. In two years since, seems like he’s neutral. Totally fine. Upgrade for Sox from deep underwater to sea level, but our outfield defense hasn’t moved to a strength yet.

The lack of power is a huge issue for me. We left the Astros series seeing us fail offensively in two games where we had tons of hits. The only game we scored enough was led by power.

They signed Josh Harrison.

Last year we routinely strung games with LOTS of hits, all singles, and a terrible offense. 

Add Benintendi.

This org is power starved. It is priced out of power in all positions except 1B/DH, and it can’t add there because it has a bunch of 15 home run hitting 1B/DH.

This is where you all see me saying weird things like I was pro going after Sean murphy and not liking benintendi.

He flips catcher to being top 5 offensively and defensively.

But Benintendi was to 5 in LF wRC+ last year. It’s a real upgrade. It cost just money. All that is good.

I just can’t stand outfielders that can’t send it to the seats unless they are elite defensively.

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

“go back and give up some prospects and make one more big move.”

If we’re never really “at the table” for big-time FAs, trading our prospects and/or cost-controlled you guys (eg. Vaughn) is a bad idea for the long term of the Sox. Unfortunately, I think we’ll have to deal guys like Moncada/Robert/TA as they approach the end of their deals and hope our minor league players/trade recipients can step up and fill in.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Listen:

- I’m happy that the Sox aren’t just going to pocket $30 million to pay back shareholders for 2020. 
- I’m happy that outfield defense is not compromised and Eloy is not going back. 
- I think his defense is being underrated and overrated. I think there are some extremely weird effects of measuring green monster stuff in Boston. In two years since, seems like he’s neutral. Totally fine. Upgrade for Sox from deep underwater to sea level, but our outfield defense hasn’t moved to a strength yet.

The lack of power is a huge issue for me. We left the Astros series seeing us fail offensively in two games where we had tons of hits. The only game we scored enough was led by power.

They signed Josh Harrison.

Last year we routinely strung games with LOTS of hits, all singles, and a terrible offense. 

Add Benintendi.

This org is power starved. It is priced out of power in all positions except 1B/DH, and it can’t add there because it has a bunch of 15 home run hitting 1B/DH.

This is where you all see me saying weird things like I was pro going after Sean murphy and not liking benintendi.

He flips catcher to being top 5 offensively and defensively.

But Benintendi was to 5 in LF wRC+ last year. It’s a real upgrade. It cost just money. All that is good.

I just can’t stand outfielders that can’t send it to the seats unless they are elite defensively.

This is a very fair and honest take.  Benintendi is not a perfect fit for us, but at the same time he does add much needed lineup balance and fills a massive hole with 2+ win production.  In terms of free agency, the only player available at the moment I think would have been a better singing was Conforto and he comes with more risk plus you have the Boras factor that could drag things out.

I’m not doing cartwheels in the streets over this and I definitely wish our LF was more of a power bat, but this move makes us better and we still have our prospect currency to make another move to enhance the offense.