Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

Now that we got Benintendi, can u imagine if we still had Jose?

Lineup: Timmy, Benny, Robert, Abreu, Yoan, Yasmani (not a bad six-some). Now we go with Timmy, Benny, Robert, Vaughn, Yoan, Sheets, Yasmani (lot of pressure on Vaughn and Sheets this season when it didn't have to be that way. Jose woulda been a huge veteran bat.

Cmon Vaughn/Sheets have a nice offseason and show continued improvement and we might have a decent lineup! 

If we could keep our cool and temper I personally think it'd be nice of some of you to explain to me how my lineup with Abreu wouldn't be kick-butt this season compared to the alternative!! Makes no sense except for Jerry's pocketbook. We also need some leadership and Timmy better fill that void. You gotta want to win. Jose did. Cmon Timmy it's your team!!

Card declined. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

Now that we got Benintendi, can u imagine if we still had Jose?

Lineup: Timmy, Benny, Robert, Abreu, Yoan, Yasmani (not a bad six-some). Now we go with Timmy, Benny, Robert, Vaughn, Yoan, Sheets, Yasmani (lot of pressure on Vaughn and Sheets this season when it didn't have to be that way. Jose woulda been a huge veteran bat.

Cmon Vaughn/Sheets have a nice offseason and show continued improvement and we might have a decent lineup! 

If we could keep our cool and temper I personally think it'd be nice of some of you to explain to me how my lineup with Abreu wouldn't be kick-butt this season compared to the alternative!! Makes no sense except for Jerry's pocketbook. We also need some leadership and Timmy better fill that void. You gotta want to win. Jose did. Cmon Timmy it's your team!!

We have Benintendi because we didn’t sign Jose. To have both it means they would have dealt Hendriks or someone else and then needing to deal from the 1B/DH depth.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

We have Benintendi because we didn’t sign Jose. To have both it means they would have dealt Hendriks or someone else and then needing to deal from the 1B/DH depth.

Five years of Benintendi at 15 per year is better than 3 years at 20 IMO for Jose.  Like every aging player, Jose will finally hit a wall and then everyone says the dumb GM should have seen it coming.  We have the pieces to swap Jose with 10-d and have a much better lineup because of it.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m not sure either way, but the fact the white sox thought it was a bad idea to sign Abreu but the Astros thought it was a good idea, favors the argument that it was a good idea on two counts

You are right but the Sox had to clear the deck. Jose gets to play for a winner which he deserves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Five years of Benintendi at 15 per year is better than 3 years at 20 IMO for Jose.  Like every aging player, Jose will finally hit a wall and then everyone says the dumb GM should have seen it coming.  We have the pieces to swap Jose with 10-d and have a much better lineup because of it.  

Benny cannot hit for power. Or does not hit for power. Benni has a lot to prove in Chicago. Some say he's 'just another guy.' My lineup with Jose and Benni is much more productive. It uses what Benni can do. it speaks for itself.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, pcq said:

You are right but the Sox had to clear the deck. Jose gets to play for a winner which he deserves.

Geez. Through this whole ugly tank/rebuild, the Sox were suppoed to be a 'winner." How soon we forget or let Jerry/Hahn off the hook. They've made some bad moves including having a blah pitching staff and weird lineup for The Cell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, greg775 said:

Geez. Through this whole ugly tank/rebuild, the Sox were suppoed to emerge as a 'winner." How soon we forget or let Jerry/Hahn off the hook. They've made some bad moves including having a blah pitching staff and weird lineup for The Cell.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Geez. Through this whole ugly tank/rebuild, the Sox were suppoed to be a 'winner." How soon we forget or let Jerry/Hahn off the hook. They've made some bad moves including having a blah pitching staff and weird lineup for The Cell.

We have not forgotten this. We spend 80% of our board space bitching about it. But there’s 20% remaining for discussion of what actually can happen on the field/in the lineup at this point. No one is letting them off the hook for building a bad roster, but we are understandably happy that they decided to reallocate Abreu’s salary instead of using it as an opportunity to cut payroll, which was reported to be the plan by several legitimate sources. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

but we are understandably happy that they decided to reallocate Abreu’s salary instead of using it as an opportunity to cut payroll, which was reported to be the plan by several legitimate sources. 

Ugh. Happy? I'm sad. ... I promise it's my last comment on the subject as I know my passion is making me repetitive. You have to understand how sad I am over this. Anyhow ... I'll stop now. Bye Jose.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

34 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m not sure either way, but the fact the white sox thought it was a bad idea to sign Abreu but the Astros thought it was a good idea, favors the argument that it was a good idea on two counts

This may be shocking… but our two teams don’t have the exact same roster construction. Wild.. I know

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Benny cannot hit for power. Or does not hit for power. Benni has a lot to prove in Chicago. Some say he's 'just another guy.' My lineup with Jose and Benni is much more productive. It uses what Benni can do. it speaks for itself.

Benni will probably hit as many HR's as Jose.  He is useful in defense, lineup construction, and on the bases.  Cutting the cord with Jose freed up the money for Benni and puts Vaughn in his natural position.  IMO it was time to cut the cord with Jose before he turned into Konerko.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Benni will probably hit as many HR's as Jose.  He is useful in defense, lineup construction, and on the bases.  Cutting the cord with Jose freed up the money for Benni and puts Vaughn in his natural position.  IMO it was time to cut the cord with Jose before he turned into Konerko.

Love Jose and what he did for the WS.  I'm not mad at all with Jose not being paid $20 mil a year.  It was time to put AV in his natural position and let him take off from there.  This also allowed us to sign AB.........ditto to what you said in your post.  This team is in a better position and better constructed now because Jose is not on the team anymore (That is not a knock on Jose).

Just now, 2Deep said:

Love Jose and what he did for the WS.  I'm not mad at all with Jose not being paid $20 mil a year.  It was time to put AV in his natural position and let him take off from there.  This also allowed us to sign AB.........ditto to what you said in your post.  This team is in a better position and better constructed now because Jose is not on the team anymore (That is not a knock on Jose).

As we all know...Jose was Greg's favorite player.  Never fun when they trade one of your favorite players.  I feel they were wrong to trade Madrigal, but the FO does what they think best.  That's probably best since most of us fans don't have the same amount of information on which to base our opinions.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

He wasn't signed for power.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

As we all know...Jose was Greg's favorite player.  Never fun when they trade one of your favorite players.  I feel they were wrong to trade Madrigal, but the FO does what they think best.  That's probably best since most of us fans don't have the same amount of information on which to base our opinions.

It’s been obvious the past decade Rick Hahn and the Chicago White Sox organization do not have the “same amount of information” as at least 25 other MLB franchises.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, MEANS said:

He wasn't signed for power.

That's just not factually true. His expected HR total in 2021 if played at Guaranteed Rate was 29 homers. 

In 4 of his 5 normal'ish seasons, aka not his cup of tea in his 1st year or Covid season .. he'd hit 20'ish homeruns. 

Rubbish that he doesn't have power. 

My point is he was signed for his LH bat (lacking in our lineup), fielding and overall solid play. Sure it would be great to see his power numbers elevate but Eloy/Robert/TA/Moncada/Yaz and to some extent AV is where the power from our lineup should be expected (hopefully return). Chicken Little makes it seem like we looked at Jose v Benintendi and said we like Andrew's power over Jose's. 

We can't complain about the roster construction situation and then still complain when they actually try to correct the issue.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

That's just not factually true. His expected HR total in 2021 if played at Guaranteed Rate was 29 homers. 

In 4 of his 5 normal'ish seasons, aka not his cup of tea in his 1st year or Covid season .. he'd hit 20'ish homeruns. 

Rubbish that he doesn't have power. 

What does this even mean? Benintendi has only hit 20 homers once in his career and that was in 2017. 

You do realize that baseball is not played on paper or spreadsheets, right? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

What does this even mean? Benintendi has only hit 20 homers once in his career and that was in 2017. 

You do realize that baseball is not played on paper or spreadsheets, right? 

Yeah but if all of his home games were played in the pacific time zone on Tuesdays he would have hit 15 more HRS.