Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Did anyone tell the Sox it wasn't April Fools day yet?  No one is buying tickets because of this move except maybe Andrew's mom.

image.png

But he’s the richest contract in White Sox history what do you mean people won’t buy tickets to see him play???

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Did anyone tell the Sox it wasn't April Fools day yet?  No one is buying tickets because of this move except maybe Andrew's mom.

image.png

Hahaha holy s%*#, wow.  They really do think we are dumb enough to get excited by an Andrew Benintendi signing…

• Like 1

With those who are in more in tune to the payroll…does the only $8M (11 with bonus) in ‘23 affect how things were projected? If what I’ve read is correct we were like $3-5M away from keeping the payroll the same as last year. Does this put us at more like $5-10M to spend(In theory)? I’m assuming people were factoring his payroll hit at $16M in those projections? 

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Leaves the Sox with one open 40 man spot.  The dollars are kind of strange, but i wonder if this has something to do with how the luxury cap will work with some of the other deals start to reverse from bigger cap hits to bigger dollar hits.

Luxury tax is AAV based, so the structuring of this deal is likely more around cash concerns for this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hopefully saving the $4M next year let’s us fit in a Duvall like acquisition into the payroll.

This was my thought as well — it’s potentially a good sign that they deferred it because it may mean they’re still committed to filling the roster out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

With those who are in more in tune to the payroll…does the only $8M (11 with bonus) in ‘23 affect how things were projected? If what I’ve read is correct we were like $3-5M away from keeping the payroll the same as last year. Does this put us at more like $5-10M to spend(In theory)? I’m assuming people were factoring his payroll hit at $16M in those projections? 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Luxury tax is AAV based, so the structuring of this deal is likely more around cash concerns for this year.

It’s clearly a self imposed limit the White Sox are worried about, they aren’t close to hitting the luxury tax. There’s no reason to backload this in this format if you’re not trying to avoid a payroll limit this year.

In my count, yea this now leaves them a little more than $11 million below last year’s total payroll, whereas a level contract would have left them about $5 million below last year’s payroll.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s clearly a self imposed limit the White Sox are worried about, they aren’t close to hitting the luxury tax. There’s no reason to backload this in this format if you’re not trying to avoid a payroll limit this year.

In my count, yea this now leaves them a little more than $11 million below last year’s total payroll, whereas a level contract would have left them about $5 million below last year’s payroll.

Does Jerry even know the luxury tax exists? Can’t imagine that’s a thought that has ever crossed his mind. Hopefully backloading the deal was the front office trying to squeeze 1 last addition into the budget. 

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

JR could be back loading contracts to also dump as much money as he can on a new owner along with what you said about the current team payroll. He seems like a guy fixated on nickel and diming or a saving a million here a million there into the near future where there is less money committed.

By the time Benny's contract is over 3/4 if not more of the current team won't be under contract.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

35 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Does Jerry even know the luxury tax exists? Can’t imagine that’s a thought that has ever crossed his mind. Hopefully backloading the deal was the front office trying to squeeze 1 last addition into the budget. 

Yes. Had it not been for the new CBA they would have been over the tax line last year.

14 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I have the straight payroll as of right now at ~$180M.  That includes Clevinger's 2024 buyout and Benintendi's signing bonus as 2023 obligations.  It does not include Pollock or Harrison's buyouts that were paid in 2022.  

Of course we'll never know exactly how the Sox account for these things things internally, but they should still have around $10M to spend before getting to last year's final total.  If that is a hard and fast limit (doubt it is), that of course means there would be no room for mid-season additions if it were spent on say Duvall ($7M) and Kemp ($3M) in the coming weeks, to use @Chicago White Sox latest projection. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m disturbed that the guy running this organization thinks the singular form of white sox is “white sock.”

I kind of like White Sock. I was at a game in the late 80s when the team was really bad, and I was sitting behind the White Sox dugout. Russ Mormon was on the team, and he whiffed. He was coming back to the dugout with his head down, and some guy yelled "keep your head up, youre a White Sock" at him. For some reason,, that cracked me up, and I'll never forget it. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Hahaha holy s%*#, wow.  They really do think we are dumb enough to get excited by an Andrew Benintendi signing…

I have nothing against this signing, but I don't understand this marketing.  The offseason can only be described as so-so after a disappointing 2022 season.  This is just another indication of a FO being out-of-touch.

45 minutes ago, Highland said:

I have nothing against this signing, but I don't understand this marketing.  The offseason can only be described as so-so after a disappointing 2022 season.  This is just another indication of a FO being out-of-touch.

I don't have anything against the signing either.  Its just laughable that they are presenting it as something to get excited about.

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yikes

Hahaha

I think Eloy actually does look pretty good going to his left. It's going to his right that he's really bad at. I remember he made a pretty nice play in the Futures game, but that was also a long time ago and he's probably a lot slower and bigger than he was back then. There's also that issue with injuries. 

Edited by chw42

Just now, chw42 said:

Hahaha

I think Eloy actually does look pretty good going to his left. It's going to his right that he's really bad at. I remember he made a pretty nice play in the Futures game, but that was also a long time ago and he's probably a low slower and bigger than he was back then. 

They really don't care about RF defense and or keeping Eloy healthy if they really are going to give him time in RF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

They really don't care about RF defense and or keeping Eloy healthy if they really are going to give him time in RF.

I hope they're just saying this just to keep Eloy happy about not being a full-time DH. 

• Like 3