Want to Impress me Jerry and Rick? Sign Conforto to complete the Outfield

AJ'S Cousin

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t think we could squeeze Benintendi, seems incredibly unlikely that we can fit him and Conforto into the payroll.

You can if you trade Hendrik's ( I don’t recommend doing it or trade Moncada.). If the Sox God Forbid are out of it at the trade deadline they're going to trade him. We can get by with closer by committee. Lopez, Graveman, Crochet ( if healthy). Hendriks value may never be higher than right now. We are not going to win the WS this, we’ll be better and might make the playoffs or even win the division. We need to see what Burger can do also. You don’t know which Moncada you’ll get. Trade him then to afford Conforto or tell Moncada to go back to 2nd base and play Burger at 3rd. Elvis is my solution for 2nd if he’d agree to do it on a 2 year deal. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Do you think Bellingers drop off after a right shoulder injury has suppressed Confortos after a right shoulder injury?

I think Conforto with an opt out contract ( which rumor has it that that’s what he wants ) tells me he’s pretty confident his shoulder may be ok. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t think we could squeeze Benintendi, seems incredibly unlikely that we can fit him and Conforto into the payroll.

Agreed. And I wouldn’t even want to. I want to sign an IF/OF so that we can see what we have in Colas.  I’d feel differently  if Conforto wasn’t coming off the injury. He’s not a sure thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

they 100% should sign Conforto. it's the right move to make.

Guranteed one of Roberts/Beni/Colas gets injured for a decent bit + colas is completely unproven. People here saying Colas *needs* to be our starting OFr are ridiculous. Guy is unproven as can be. He needs to earn it first and will get plenty of chances in the MLB to do so as our 4th OF

The only way Colas could've had a better year than did was K less and walk more. He was a guy who was 23,  unranked, over hyped, rusty as hell, adjusting to yet another culture he had never been in before and in A+.

How did he respond ? Only by getting stronger and stronger as the year progressed in a year that would have left mere mortals mentally and physically exhausted . The guy is a real beast. He does need to play and often. No one should underestimate what he accomplished in just one season and how rusty he was and how nomadic his life has been and how spectacularly he rose above it.

Corlas , Corlas , Corlas !!! 😉😅

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Give me a Profar / Drury type that won't block Colas by playing both infield and outfield.

I think these are the best FA options. Unlikely Sox don’t make a trade at this point and I’m guessing this role is filled via that, whatever it may be. Also Profar has played so little IF recently that it concerns me a bit, but otherwise love that fit.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think these are the best FA options. Unlikely Sox don’t make a trade at this point and I’m guessing this role is filled via that, whatever it may be. Also Profar has played so little IF recently that it concerns me a bit, but otherwise love that fit.

Well, the alternative is Leury Garcia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am sure Jerry is swimming around in his money pool thinking...

"I have everything in life... except the approval of AJ's Cousin.  I am SUCH A FAILURE!"

he's absolutly correct. He will not have my approval. and i'm sure he stays up nights thinking what could I do to get AJ'S cousins approval? I gave him my advice for the upcoming season if he wants my money. I also told him to sell the F in team to a Steve Cohen type. 😀

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

And let's not be so anal on spelling, we type fast, are watching the Bears lose or the World Cup etc.  Colas/Corlas, we all know what we mean. i still spell Grandahl wrong and Vaughn and Hendriks and sometime type Hendricks. Who cares, we're out to fun. 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

he's absolutly correct. He will not have my approval. and i'm sure he stays up nights thinking what could I do to get AJ'S cousins approval? I gave him my advice for the upcoming season if he wants my money. I also told him to sell the F in team to a Steve Cohen type. 😀

Been nice knowing you.

5 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

people saying no in this thread are the same that will complain in gaame threads when roberts is out for a 10 day span every month and colas is batting .200 thaat the CWS have no depth

Or Eloy taking his annual several week in season sick day vacay with Mom. Or Clevinger and Kopech both hitting 180 IP.

$206M gives the Sox a chance to legitimately contend for a championship. Play well the first few months and they’ll draw well and have the revenue at the deadline to cover a season ending injury, DFA deadweight and/or add a player or two who can contribute in October.

That is what Sox fans should want after  four years of s%*#, three years of tanking, and the last three years with no depth and no playoff success or legitimate chance.

If Benintendi is one piece out of a half dozen total new quality pieces, this is something Sox fans could really get behind. If they are merely swapping out Abreu for Clevinger and 10D, may as well tank and target 2025 because you’re still just treading water while the top teams are widening the gap over what you bring each season.

Eloy MLB + Minors Games Played

• 2019 (22) 127
  • 2020 (23) 55 (2 Playoff ABs)
  • 2021 (24) 67
  • 2022 (25) 101

Clevinger (1st) + Kopech (2nd) Total MLB + Minors IP (MC innings + MK)

• 2019 (133 + 0)
  • 2020 (42 + 0)
  • 2021 (0 + 69)
  • 2022 (123 + 119)

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The only way Colas could've had a better year than did was K less and walk more. He was a guy who was 23,  unranked, over hyped, rusty as hell, adjusting to yet another culture he had never been in before and in A+.

How did he respond ? Only by getting stronger and stronger as the year progressed in a year that would have left mere mortals mentally and physically exhausted . The guy is a real beast. He does need to play and often. No one should underestimate what he accomplished in just one season and how rusty he was and how nomadic his life has been and how spectacularly he rose above it.

Corlas , Corlas , Corlas !!! 😉😅

Agreed!  Also, need to use our kids a bit to save the money for the needs the system can't fill.  It is after all a combination of trades, free agents and system promotions.  

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Or Eloy taking his annual several week in season sick day vacay with Mom. Or Clevinger and Kopech both hitting 180 IP.

We don't really know any of these pro athletes on a personal level and we don't need to.  Feel free to project failure but I'd say you are way off base with your snippy comments about Eloy and predictions on IP by Kopech and Clevinger.  I think Eloy will continue to hit like he did after he came back from surgery and I suspect that Kopech comes back a lot stronger after having his leg repaired.  There is no reason to mess with those guys.

1 hour ago, tray said:

We don't really know any of these pro athletes on a personal level and we don't need to.  Feel free to project failure but I'd say you are way off base with your snippy comments about Eloy and predictions on IP by Kopech and Clevinger.  I think Eloy will continue to hit like he did after he came back from surgery and I suspect that Kopech comes back a lot stronger after having his leg repaired.  There is no reason to mess with those guys.

No reason to mess with those guys? These guys continue to miss like half the season.

49 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No reason to mess with those guys? These guys continue to miss like half the season.

This, season after season. I think Kopech has a good chance of pitching well through 20-25 starts if his knee is ready next Spring. The problem is if you don't get a solid #3-#4 starter, you are hoping instead of being proactive across the entire staff.

There were a million posts here last year lamenting the lack of depth for good reason, and not much has been done to shore things up if substantial signings are over at this stage. I'm resigned to accept the $19M Hahn spent on mid level catching at this point, and wouldn't send Hendriks to Toronto for a catcher, or frankly anywhere unless you are planning to tank.

That said, the Sox still do not have:

• A starting ML 2B
  • "Colars" who barely played above A Ball and will be 24. Expect some growing pains, and you have no backup if he needs to be sent down to regroup, nor a good OF to play behind him. Benintendi can't shift to RF with his arm, so if Robert or Colas are out, or resting/DHing, you're stuck with Leury or Billy Hamilton, and neither have a major league bat at this stage, Leury can't field either, so there's that.
  • Banking on 300 + IP out of Clevinger and Kopech, when 133 IP is the max between the two of them the past four years. @Tray - These aren't "predictions", these are observations of their actual past performance.
  • Have a lot of dead money in the bullpen, and not much to help at Charlotte (for SP or RP). Not much 2023 hitting help in the minors once Colas makes the jump. Martin/Lambert is the depth at SP,

This is why it's imperative to strike NOW, in the offseason, with Free Agency and or a trade of one of your two DHs/1B, and shore up the known holes at 2B, OF, SP and RP. This half ass bullshit the past three off-seasons have brought fans to the point of giving up on 2023 (including a substantial number of season ticket holders).

Either give it a legitimate shot, or pawn everything you can to have a solid core in 2025-2026, because you're not going to draw many fans if you're muddling to 80-85 win season, and thus be stuck in the same no playoffs/not much money available for 2024 plan. They don't have 72 games against the horseshit Central to fall back on anymore with the balanced schedule. They will be exposed without adding a solid RF capable OF who is also at least average ML starter at hitter, a solid starting 2B, another solid SP (3-4) , and the capacity to DFA and pick up replacements as needed for their shitty TLR/RH RP and Leury signings.

Edited by South Side Hit Men