Want to Impress me Jerry and Rick? Sign Conforto to complete the Outfield

AJ'S Cousin

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

The starting OF is already complete but I’d like to see them get a RHH 4th OF to platoon for Colas against lefties. Bonus points if it’s someone who’s OBP oriented. 

They need a back up outfielder, but Colas does not need to be platooned. Check out his splits, he destroys lefties.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

They need a back up outfielder, but Colas does not need to be platooned. Check out his splits, he destroys lefties.

Maybe not so much a straight platoon but a guy who can fill in on a day where you might have a more favorable matchup. Like sit Benintendi or Colas against a lefty.

Edit: plus, I'm sure there's plenty of left-handed bats who struggle against lefties in the MLB that hit well off them in the minors. It's good to have insurance.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Biggest thing is finding someone that if they have to start for two weeks in a row, it won’t kill the offense.  I hate the offensive depth on this roster.  Almost wish they didn’t sign Hamilton, as he shouldn’t be a legit option at this time.

Hell, do they have anyone we can confidently say can play decent enough CF defense for a couple weeks?

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Biggest thing is finding someone that if they have to start for two weeks in a row, it won’t kill the offense.  I hate the offensive depth on this roster.  Almost wish they didn’t sign Hamilton, as he shouldn’t be a legit option at this time.

I love it if he's in AAA.  He's such a good guy to have around the clubhouse.  My guess is if he's settling for milb deal in December, he didn't have many options.  But I totally agree with you -  there should be multiple options used before we resort to giving Billy Hamilton an actual 26 man roster spot. 

I like Kevin Pillar; he should be pretty cheap but he certainly cannot play IF.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

How is Colas CF defense?

We're not sure, but worth noting that the White Sox originally said that Avisail Garcia could be their long term CF when they acquired him and that lasted a couple of days, so probably should be skeptical about putting him there at first.

In theory I agree. I don't care how many articles are written about Colas, Championship worthy teams don't go into the season with a giant question mark in Right Field. I don't care how talented he may be or what he turns out to be. There are definite gaps in his resume and we've had more than enough history with Robert and Eloy to know there will need to be AB's for others in the OF (even with Eloy at DH). Someone like Conforto fits the short term duration, the cost, & also the OBP that this team really needs (imo). 

I'd love to trade someone like Kelly if money truly is a concern and bring in Conforto. That said some other options that I'd also like to consider (in order) that are more realistic. 

Tyler Naquin (Lefty)

Brian Anderson (OF and 3B backup)

Trade for Edward Olivares

Tommy Pham

None are sexy, all bring something to the table that Sheets does not. 

Colas is ready. Watch the highlights across 3 levels, look at the production...and remember he already played in Japan. He is NOT a developmental player...he is an asset they paid handsomely for to move thru the system very fast. His swing is beautiful and even if he only hits .225, his power and ability in the field will best anything they have internally or left on the open market that is realistic (they all have question marks). Embrace Corlas, Colas or Cola...it will all be refreshing in the end. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I don’t think the infield depth is all that bad, especially if we add a LH 2B to the mix and push guys like Sosa & Romy into bench roles.  It’s really our OF depth that is the problem and possibly catcher depending on how cooked Grandal really is.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think the infield depth is all that bad, especially if we add a LH 2B to the mix and push guys like Sosa & Romy into bench roles.  It’s really our OF depth that is the problem and possibly catcher depending on how cooked Grandal really is.

Sosa is still young enough to where I don't want to stick him on the bench quite yet. Rather see him get every day reps in the minors than that. Romy turning 27 late next season is a guy I'd be ok with being an MLB utility player/platoon 2B next year, especially since he has experience all over the field.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

What is this based on, internal scouting reports? 

External scouting reports.  Here is what Baseball America said about his defense in their latest top 10 list:

He has the instincts and reads to play center field, but his plus arm and below-average speed will steer him toward a future in right field. 

Here is what Baseball Prospectus said in their top 10:

Right field is the natural landing spot for Cólas, both because of team need and because–-though he is capable of handling center in a pinch—his speed and arm are average to above-average more than they are spectacular.

This is aligns with what I’ve read elsewhere.  Good reads / routes make up for his average speed and would allow him to fill in at CF, but realistically he’s a RF in the long-run.

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sosa is still young enough to where I don't want to stick him on the bench quite yet. Rather see him get every day reps in the minors than that. Romy turning 27 late next season is a guy I'd be ok with being an MLB utility player/platoon 2B next year, especially since he has experience all over the field.

Fully agree.  If we add a veteran 2B, Romy should get first crack at a bench role with Sosa getting a little bit of time in AAA.  He’s getting up there in age and is a more versatile player.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

We're not sure, but worth noting that the White Sox originally said that Avisail Garcia could be their long term CF when they acquired him and that lasted a couple of days, so probably should be skeptical about putting him there at first.

And yet avi in CF is nowhere close to the equivalent of Sheets or Vaughn. Heck - Rob Mackowiak in CF was not even bottom 3 of horrendous defensive decisions this regime has made. They regularly show an utter disregard for defense. 

On 12/18/2022 at 9:50 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

The problem is if you don't get a solid #3-#4 starter, you are hoping instead of being proactive across the entire staff.

I would like to see them to add Michael Wacha.  He was effective in the AL East last year when healthy.  You can never have enough starting pitching IMO.

Edited by Good Guys