Dodgers gonna cut Trevor Bauer now that he’s reinstated (updated 12/22)

JoshPR

Plenty of lessons to be learned from this ordeal.

The least of which (but still worthwhile to tell your kids) is to not be so divisive.  You can't piss off everyone, no matter how special you are.  They will come for you. 

I'd like to see him to go to another country and play.  His niche social media following has to be appealing to another league.  

Edited by GREEDY

53 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Plenty of lessons to be learned from this ordeal.

The least of which (but still worthwhile to tell your kids) is to not be so divisive.  You can't piss off everyone, no matter how special you are.  They will come for you. 

I'd like to see him to go to another country and play.  His niche social media following has to be appealing to another league.  

Plenty of lessons and none of them in this post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • TLR 1

any type of topic like this is always a lightning rod. Any time there's a perceived GOOD V BAD it's human nature, especially, amongst peers to make sure it's known you're on team GOOD. 

What I'd offer is we're all human, we all make mistakes. I understand what Bauer has done is abhorrent, and to me, it's hard to look the other way. I'd have a really hard time giving him a second chance based on his (public) lack of apology and accountability. Even if found not guilty the actions he was accused and guilty of in the public opinion are just down right gross regardless if the women played any role in it. 

That said, i know there are many that dislike Daryl Boston based on his past doings. I'd ask how is his past really much different than Bauer? How to you justify being a fan of the Sox still with him, but with Bauer would not? 

Some team will take a chance on him ... he will get booed and the blowback will be huge. Time will pass and it will be an afterthought in due time. Soon he'll just be known as D. Boston, Ozuna, Chapman, Osuna, etc. etc. 

I dont think it makes sense for the Sox as we're not trying to win at all costs already, so why start now with Bauer? But agree with some of the teams being thrown around ... Mets, Rangers, Padres, Rockies, maybe even Twins, Angels, Brewers, maybe a team like Reds or Pirates for trade bait. Don't think the list is long of teams that will take the blowback, but definitely think some team will roll the dice. 

13 minutes ago, he gone. said:

any type of topic like this is always a lightning rod. Any time there's a perceived GOOD V BAD it's human nature, especially, amongst peers to make sure it's known you're on team GOOD. 

What I'd offer is we're all human, we all make mistakes. I understand what Bauer has done is abhorrent, and to me, it's hard to look the other way. I'd have a really hard time giving him a second chance based on his (public) lack of apology and accountability. Even if found not guilty the actions he was accused and guilty of in the public opinion are just down right gross regardless if the women played any role in it. 

That said, i know there are many that dislike Daryl Boston based on his past doings. I'd ask how is his past really much different than Bauer? How to you justify being a fan of the Sox still with him, but with Bauer would not? 

Some team will take a chance on him ... he will get booed and the blowback will be huge. Time will pass and it will be an afterthought in due time. Soon he'll just be known as D. Boston, Ozuna, Chapman, Osuna, etc. etc. 

I dont think it makes sense for the Sox as we're not trying to win at all costs already, so why start now with Bauer? But agree with some of the teams being thrown around ... Mets, Rangers, Padres, Rockies, maybe even Twins, Angels, Brewers, maybe a team like Reds or Pirates for trade bait. Don't think the list is long of teams that will take the blowback, but definitely think some team will roll the dice. 

I would say it doesn’t matter, we don’t choose who they hire or sign.  I hate that Boston has that ugly monster following him around and would rather him be somewhere else.  I would absolutely loathe if they looked the other way here too

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would say it doesn’t matter, we don’t choose who they hire or sign.  I hate that Boston has that ugly monster following him around and would rather him be somewhere else.  I would absolutely loathe if they looked the other way here too

Worth noting that on his Twitter feed she shared a made up George Soros quote about controlling people as bravely telling the truth, and the White Sox owner who just got a humanitarian award might now be the sort who takes kindly to antisemitic Twitter rumor mongering. 

7 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I would believe someone would take a shot at him until I imagine the press conference. What GM is gonna sit at a table a tell the world “This is our guy”? Also, I imagine there are players who simply won’t play with him.

You don't do press conferences for dudes you sign the the MLB minimum.  

Ya, PR would be in overdrive. LIkely a spin of second chances, "changed man", did our research, lean on the not guilty verdict, short leash, etc. This isn't the first rodeo of a sexual deviant needing cover ... These organizations are well versed in how to play public. 

27 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Ya, PR would be in overdrive. LIkely a spin of second chances, "changed man", did our research, lean on the not guilty verdict, short leash, etc. This isn't the first rodeo of a sexual deviant needing cover ... These organizations are well versed in how to play public. 

Surely you aren’t referring to the White Sox organization being well versed in how to play public 

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

This is a wonderful attempt at a whataboutism, but for the record, MLB suspended him for two years because of what they found in their investigation.  I really hate Boston being included in the stories he was included it, but let's not pretend the background information for both is on the same level, nor was the level of what was turned up.  But for the whatabout record, they could have fired Boston the day that story came out, and I would have been thrilled.

• Like 1

The reaction to domestic violence has slowly then rapidly changing over the past fifty years. While the Sox have a proud record on some social issues, they lagged behind in their reaction to Boston. I would hope if the same situation happened today the reaction would be different and more in tune with today's societal values. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

You don't do press conferences for dudes you sign the the MLB minimum.  

Whoever signs Bauer is going to have to do a press conference, and probably many of them.  You might even have a better chance at this if you had someone who was more willing to show any amount of contrition or even that they learned a lesson in all of this.  But the victim blaming attitude here is going to make it nearly impossible for a team to sell Bauer to its fanbase.  These owners got rich by understanding risk and the like, and I just don't see the return and negative externalities of Trevor Bauer being worth it to MLB teams in this current form.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Whoever signs Bauer is going to have to do a press conference, and probably many of them.  You might even have a better chance at this if you had someone who was more willing to show any amount of contrition or even that they learned a lesson in all of this.  But the victim blaming attitude here is going to make it nearly impossible for a team to sell Bauer to its fanbase.  These owners got rich by understanding risk and the like, and I just don't see the return and negative externalities of Trevor Bauer being worth it to MLB teams in this current form.

I was referring to an introductory press conference.  I would wager that whoever signs Bauer, does not to an introductory press conference.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I was referring to an introductory press conference.  I would wager that whoever signs Bauer, does not to an introductory press conference.  

I really think they will have to do so, otherwise the pressure on the rest of the organization's personel and players getting hounded with questions around Bauer will be too much.  Think of all of the other players getting the TLR questions when TLR disappeared, except times a 100.  If you sign Bauer, you will have to get your ass kicked publicly and must have him and the organization be able to publicly justify this signing, which is exactly why I think no one will do it.

• Like 2

Exactly. While any team would like to quietly sign him and fly under the radar it will be national headlines. And the news organizations aren't going to assign their team ass kissing sports reporter to the story, it will be there news reporters who don't care about hurt feelings or access to inside information or locker room access. 

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a wonderful attempt at a whataboutism, but for the record, MLB suspended him for two years because of what they found in their investigation.  I really hate Boston being included in the stories he was included it, but let's not pretend the background information for both is on the same level, nor was the level of what was turned up.  But for the whatabout record, they could have fired Boston the day that story came out, and I would have been thrilled.

That can be your opinion. I don't think anything is black and white and we don't know Trevor personally and tend to think it's a complex issue/question with a lot of imperfect arguments that we tend to justify as humans. 

Historically you tend to be more black and white on issues than I am. Just differencing of opinions. 

17 minutes ago, he gone. said:

That can be your opinion. I don't think anything is black and white and we don't know Trevor personally and tend to think it's a complex issue/question with a lot of imperfect arguments that we tend to justify as humans. 

Historically you tend to be more black and white on issues than I am. Just differencing of opinions. 

The MLB investigations aren't opinion, they are fact. 

Trevor Bauers suspension, and Daryl Boston's lack there of aren't opinion, they are fact.

My opinion is I want neither around my team or anyone important to me.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

Is this what being a "conservative" looks like? 

Right, so no one in MLB holds & expresses extreme views at the other end of the spectrum? Pretty sure I've seen plenty of questionable tweets from MLB personnel, particularly during the summer of 2020 and specifically as it relates to overarching, toxic, and unfair opinions of law enforcement. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1