White Sox acquire reliever Gregory Santos from SF

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Our AAA pitchers were so bad last year I’m fine if all were churned out. So good.

Right just a depth piece. Pretty sure it doesn't mean a relief pitcher is outgoing soon.

Now if the Sox had spent a couple of mill on a relief pitcher then that might convince me or if they had signed Duvall just to show me any Hendriks move won't be merely the best cost cutting move you can. Make a bold statement. If you want Hendriks then bring your A game. We aren't cost cutting. ( thats the Sox stance in trade negotiating  not me making a statement).

Drag it out with Hendriks. No hurry. we don't need the money .

3 hours ago, heirdog said:

What year was it when Kenny tried to create a super bullpen with like 5 guys that threw 98-100 mph?  Problem was that most of them couldn't actually pitch well.

That was the 2007 season, they all threw hard, got behind in the count, fired a 98 MPH straight fastball and it usually got wacked. 

12 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Earlier in the thread, someone said he was #7 in the Giants system so not a real stretch to believe he'd slot top 10 here.

He was 7 on FGs list last year, he was in the 20s if I recall correctly on Pipeline when the trade went through. FG seems to be the biggest fans of his. 

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

FG had him as the #98 overall prospect two years ago.  They are definitely the outlier on Santos.

Remember fangraphs threw Zack Burdi into the top 100 too. Longenhagen consistently does the dumbest s%*# and it’s extremely hard for me to still care about his writeups.

• Like 3

I'd like to see the Sox go after 1 of these 3 guys who are left. Michael Fulmer, Andrew Chafin and Matt Moore.

Maybe even 2 of them. Then you have the depth needed to trade Hendriks taking 1 or 2 of the 3 decent remaining relief pitchers off the market.

Or you can hold onto Hendriks and trade Kelly/Diekman/Ruiz. I would hope that the money to sign them is less than the Hendriks money but even if it's a little more you have more pieces to trade and alter your payroll any way you want .

Snatch up more relievers and let see the offers come pouring in for our excess. Might be able to resolve 4th OF and 2nd base that way while holding onto our prospects.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd like to see the Sox go after 1 of these 3 guys who are left. Michael Fulmer, Andrew Chafin and Matt Moore.

Maybe even 2 of them. Then you have the depth needed to trade Hendriks taking 1 or 2 of the 3 decent remaining relief pitchers off the market.

Or you can hold onto Hendriks and trade Kelly/Diekman/Ruiz. I would hope that the money to sign them is less than the Hendriks money but even if it's a little more you have more pieces to trade and alter your payroll any way you want .

Snatch up more relievers and let see the offers come pouring in for our excess. Might be able to resolve 4th OF and 2nd base that way while holding onto our prospects.

Would you settle for Carson Fulmer??

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The end result of course being that the white Sox sign this guy then the magic trade proposal for Hendriks never comes and they wind up cutting Santos and that guy they got in the rule V draft because they have so many arms, followed by both of them becoming all star relievers in a few years for other teams.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The end result of course being that the white Sox sign this guy then the magic trade proposal for Hendriks never comes and they wind up cutting Santos and that guy they got in the rule V draft because they have so many arms, followed by both of them becoming all star relievers in a few years for other teams.

I don't know for sure but Ruiz and perhaps Santos have an option or 2 left. I'm not too worried about too much depth because there other are arms that could eventually be DFA'd,  Carlos Pérez, Bennett Sousa, Nicholas Padilla, and Rule 5 pick Nick Avila . Any of the bottom guys could be traded also Ruiz, Diekman, Kelly etc.

Still could trade any at the deadline too if things fall apart again. I know you like that idea more.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know for sure but Ruiz and perhaps Santos have an option or 2 left. I'm not too worried about too much depth because there other are arms that could eventually be DFA'd,  Carlos Pérez, Bennett Sousa, Nicholas Padilla, and Rule 5 pick Nick Avila . Any of the bottom guys could be traded also Ruiz, Diekman, Kelly etc.

Still could trade any at the deadline too if things fall apart again. I know you like that idea more.

Santos has options yes, but Ruiz does not. Ruiz is arb 1 so his contract becomes guaranteed if he makes the opening day roster.