Jason Benetti & Steve Stone back - options picked up

South Side Hit Men

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

I can watch on mute. Plenty of podcasts to listen to. But they do suck. Steve Stone has been annoying pompous f*** forever. 

I would LOVE the Sox to pair Jason with pretty much anyone else but Steve Stone.  Having listened to Jason doing tons of other baseball, basketball, and football games I cannot think of a single instance where I thought they were worse than the Jason/Steve combo.  They don't even have the charming oddity combo like a Ed and DJ used to.  You need a guy who is wanting to enjoy himself during the broadcast and Steve just isn't that guy.

I think the best tribute I can pay to Jason is that he is able to sound good with pretty much anyone he sits down with, which I can tell you from experience is NOT easy.

I won't put him on my Mt Rushmore of all time favorites, but he is a very good one.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

People bitched about Hawk. Then the Sox brought in a guy whose style is exactly what they were clamoring. Now they b**** about him. It doesn't matter who is broadcasting Sox games, there is a certain faction that will say whoever it is sucks.

Man I loved Hawk, but once his sight went, it was time.  He just became a caricature of himself.

• Like 4
  • Hawk 1

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

People bitched about Hawk. Then the Sox brought in a guy whose style is exactly what they were clamoring. Now they b**** about him. It doesn't matter who is broadcasting Sox games, there is a certain faction that will say whoever it is sucks.

Agreed, its ridiculous. Every other fanbase clamors about Stone/Benetti but the Sox fans of course whine and complain like always. It makes you wonder if they have ever watched another teams broadcast because there are some AWFUL tandems out there. I am in both the Royals and Cardinals broadcasting regions and the announcing makes you understand how young people cant get into the sport. 

When Stone and Jason are gone and we have to endure Generic PBP/Beckham on a nightly basis maybe then Sox fans will understand what we had.

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Have the Sox announced their signings or replacements?  It has been crickets since Jose Abreu sat out to watch the Sox lose 10-1 during Game 162, and Steve and/or Jason said boo about the dumpster fire they once worked for.

Prolific tweeter Steve Stone completely shut the f*** up 2 1/2 months ago on Twitter.

Stone's silence has been glorious.  He's far from the first public person with a horrendous social media persona, but I can't think of many whose on-line presence is such a striking mismatch with their public/on-air personality.  On the air he presents as this level-headed elder statesman.  On Twitter he rises to every bait, and spends his time down in the mud getting into petty slap-fights with fourteen-year-old trolls. It's so strange. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jason and Steve are at their best when the team is really good. They don't have to try to be stand up comedians. Steve doesnt have to rip Sox fans on Twitter who basically tweet the same things he at least hints of on the telecasts and radio appearances. They just discuss good baseball and have fun that way. They are much funnier when they don't try to fill 2 hours of the broadcast with a routine.

3 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Never liked Benetti with his generic radio voice and style. Steve Stone is 75 years old. That's well passed the time for normal people to hang it up. Time for new announcers.

Aubrey Huff. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

• Balta1701 changed the title to Jason Benetti & Steve Stone back - options picked up