Jason Benetti & Steve Stone back - options picked up

South Side Hit Men

I love Benetti and Stone. I feel in this day and age they are as 'honest' as a duo can be that works for the team. Yeah I guess technically they are housemen but I do think Stone and Benetti are more critical of the team or at least buffoonish plays of the team than most duos.

True Stoney didn't second guess Tony much or blast the training staff for all the injuries and point out how this team appeared to sleepwalk at times and also was poorly constructed. But perhaps Stoney doesn't share those opinions that I feel were pretty obvious. This team was a trainwreck in spite of the .500 record.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I love Benetti and Stone. I feel in this day and age they are as 'honest' as a duo can be that works for the team. Yeah I guess technically they are housemen but I do think Stone and Benetti are more critical of the team or at least buffoonish plays of the team than most duos.

True Stoney didn't second guess Tony much or blast the training staff for all the injuries and point out how this team appeared to sleepwalk at times and also was poorly constructed. But perhaps Stoney doesn't share those opinions that I feel were pretty obvious. This team was a trainwreck in spite of the .500 record.

Can't stand Stone. I don't care how much he knows. I wish he would leave and never return.

• Hawk 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know who else listened to Jason work with Bill Raferty this weekend in the Purdue/MSU game, but it really goes to show that if you put him on the air with the right talent, he is a very good announcer.  That game was excellent to listen to.

Same can be said for Adam Amin, which begs the question who at NBCSC is responsible for all of the gimmicky campy crap on both Bulls & Sox broadcasts.  Stone is less of of buffoon than Stacy King, but both make the respective broadcasts interoperable at times. 

28 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Same can be said for Adam Amin, which begs the question who at NBCSC is responsible for all of the gimmicky campy crap on both Bulls & Sox broadcasts.  Stone is less of of buffoon than Stacy King, but both make the respective broadcasts interoperable at times. 

Stone is on a different level than Stacey King. Stone is super knowledgeable about the game, and there's nobody better to give insight on pitching.

King is an absolute joke. His solution to everything is "feed the ball to the big man in the post". He has zero grasp on modern NBA basketball. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Because of the annoying jingle at every game I WILL NEVER BUY INSURANCE FROM NATIONWIDE, it’s old, tired and annoying. 

I realize that announcers will have to do their share of selling, but you're right. This is truly annoying, and I can't see how it does the sponser any good. It would make me sick if I had to do this every game. I am sure it makes Jason and Stone sick.

21 hours ago, ron883 said:

Stone is on a different level than Stacey King. Stone is super knowledgeable about the game, and there's nobody better to give insight on pitching.

King is an absolute joke. His solution to everything is "feed the ball to the big man in the post". He has zero grasp on modern NBA basketball. 

You're not wrong.  When Stacey actually talks about basketball he's sounds like he knows the game, even if strategically antiquated.  He's just a clown 95% of the time during the broadcast.  Stone still grates on me, even if he is far more tolerable.

41 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Honestly don’t know how it works with announcers, but do both guys have a contract? Is it normal for a team to announce that their broadcasters are coming back? Seems like it would be implied unless theres a bigger issue (like Stone retiring) that we aren’t aware of?

I believe both were at the end of their deals, which was why the OP posed the original question.  We haven't heard either way, which with 4-5 weeks until pitchers and catchers report does feel odd that we still don't know anything.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Honestly don’t know how it works with announcers, but do both guys have a contract? Is it normal for a team to announce that their broadcasters are coming back? Seems like it would be implied unless theres a bigger issue (like Stone retiring) that we aren’t aware of?

MLB broadcasters do work under contract and teams/agents do announce when they are or have signed new contracts. 

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t know this guy specifically but it’s interesting to me to see guys with decent local followings pick up that this is a legitimate possibility:

Bennett is the guy who conducted the GoFundMe for the billboards. Sky is falling is typically his schtick (not that he isn't right in some cases).

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Bennett is the guy who conducted the GoFundMe for the billboards. Sky is falling is typically his schtick (not that he isn't right in some cases).

He’s more blow hard than prognosticator, and kind of an asshat in my experience.  I seriously doubt he knows anything here. 

Last night, after I came across some Twitter discussion indicating that Stone and Benetti might not be back, I texted a good friend of mine who is extremely close to the situation and asked him about it.  In 99% of the situations like this (rumors, breaking news, random Sox chatter etc.) he gets back to me quickly with what he knows.   This time it has been silence.  This might mean something or it might mean everything... who knows.  Thought I would pass it along.

• Balta1701 changed the title to Jason Benetti & Steve Stone back - options picked up