Jason Benetti & Steve Stone back - options picked up

South Side Hit Men

Again this is what I was told about this situation from one of my multiple sources in the "State of the Sox" story:

“Jason Benetti’s deal with the Sox is up, the Sox hold the option for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. He went to Fox to negotiate that deal with them after he was told to do it and then come back to the Sox and they’d work something out. Jason wanted to get the deal done with the Sox first and then go to Fox or ESPN or whoever. Turns out when he came back to the Sox and said that he needs 40 days off so he can do the Fox work he was told, ‘no, that’s not happening.’ So I don’t know what’s going to happen to him or Steve Stone.”  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Again this is what I was told about this situation from one of my multiple sources in the "State of the Sox" story:

“Jason Benetti’s deal with the Sox is up, the Sox hold the option for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. He went to Fox to negotiate that deal with them after he was told to do it and then come back to the Sox and they’d work something out. Jason wanted to get the deal done with the Sox first and then go to Fox or ESPN or whoever. Turns out when he came back to the Sox and said that he needs 40 days off so he can do the Fox work he was told, ‘no, that’s not happening.’ So I don’t know what’s going to happen to him or Steve Stone.”  

Sox continue to find ways to f*** up things that are good.

• Like 2

A lot of posts here seem to feel that everything is under the Sox's control.

In a year or two, Jason will be gone anyway and it won't be the Sox fault.  His network career will quite naturally take precedence for him. 

In a year or two, Stone will be gone anyway  and it won't be the Sox fault.  Retirement beckons - likely when Jason leaves.  He's three months younger than I am and the thought of that much travel time wouldn't be something that I'd accept these days and I doubt if he's in better shape and health than I am.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What’s the difference to him?

"Kasper said he contacted McCarthy and Kenney on Monday to lay out “this crazy idea.”

“Len sent me a text and said, do you have the time to talk,” Kenney said. “We talk a lot so I didn’t really expect anything significant. But when the first words out of his mouth were, ‘Are you sitting down?’ I immediately went to his health. He’s got something significant going on with his family. So I was relieved when all he said was, ‘Hey, I think I want to go chase my dream.’”

I wanted to paint the picture of the great game of baseball on the radio like he did for me growing up,” Kasper said. “I want to call postseason games. I want to be behind the microphone to call a World Series."

https://theathletic.com/2239770/2020/12/04/len-kasper-cubs-white-sox/

Clearly there's a pretty big one at this stage of his career. There aren't going to be many sports broadcasters in the world who would prefer the White Sox radio gig to Cubs PbP on TV.

Edited by maxjusttyped

35 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

"Kasper said he contacted McCarthy and Kenney on Monday to lay out “this crazy idea.”

“Len sent me a text and said, do you have the time to talk,” Kenney said. “We talk a lot so I didn’t really expect anything significant. But when the first words out of his mouth were, ‘Are you sitting down?’ I immediately went to his health. He’s got something significant going on with his family. So I was relieved when all he said was, ‘Hey, I think I want to go chase my dream.’”

I wanted to paint the picture of the great game of baseball on the radio like he did for me growing up,” Kasper said. “I want to call postseason games. I want to be behind the microphone to call a World Series."

https://theathletic.com/2239770/2020/12/04/len-kasper-cubs-white-sox/

Clearly there's a pretty big one at this stage of his career. There aren't going to be many sports broadcasters in the world who would prefer the White Sox radio gig to Cubs PbP on TV.

I have no proof, but those are all great things to say if you want to leave your current employer quietly without rocking the boat.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have no proof, but those are all great things to say if you want to leave your current employer quietly without rocking the boat.

By all indications Marque wanted him back but Kasper is the one who wanted to leave. Even if that weren't the case, which seems unlikely to me for a variety of reasons, I'm sure if he could have landed another TV gig elsewhere if that' what he really wanted to do.

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

By all indications Marque wanted him back but Kasper is the one who wanted to leave. Even if that weren't the case, which seems unlikely to me for a variety of reasons, I'm sure if he could have landed another TV gig elsewhere if that' what he really wanted to do.

Not without leaving Chicago. 

33 minutes ago, pcq said:

The Manning Bros. with special guest Bill Walton. Love it. Baseball is dead anyway.

I think you are underestimating the pitch clock. I think it's going to make the game a lot better. I also think it's going mess with projecttions. It's going to really throw some players off and really help others.

• Balta1701 changed the title to Jason Benetti & Steve Stone back - options picked up