Fangraphs Top 26

PolishPrince34

Thompson, Kelly, and Dalquist haven’t made the jump. I agree with what they said on Thompson his secondary pitches haven’t progressed and the lack of curveball bite has been disappointing. Also, shocking how Sox haven’t been able to improve Kelly’s fastball spin rate to make it play up more. Dalquist isn’t even mentioned.  I was most high on him when they drafted Dalquist  because how athletic he was and room to grow into his body. I do think Fangraphs might not be up to date on Mena and the progress he made. 

Edited by PolishPrince34
-

Always good to get another viewpoint…but longenhagen gets the least live looks of any of these guys and much less of a scouting network than law. 

That said if you take the negative on Sox system you are more likely to be right. Yet not sure a Sox fan that follows their prospects will learn anything for his writeups. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They always have such an odd list.  Vera at #10 with 4 pitchers ahead of him, especially Santos?

The one that really jumps out is Ryan Burrowes at #14.  That is an out of no where ranking.

I just don’t believe in ranking definite relievers that high 

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Remember Ramos was 1 on this last year ahead of Colas and Montgomery. Always a contrarian.  Saying Colas is a platoon player is just lazy.  

Colas write up was surprising based on what we saw. People still haven’t adjusted to Sosa’s swing changes either. Ryan Burrowes is a name to watch. 

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just don’t believe in ranking definite relievers that high 

Colas write up was surprising based on what we saw. People still haven’t adjusted to Sosa’s swing changes either. Ryan Burrowes is a name to watch. 

You'd have to be talking about a pretty sure fire reliever to consider it.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

People still haven’t adjusted to Sosa’s swing changes either. Ryan Burrowes is a name to watch. 

Are you Sosa > Popeye?  I have a hard time deciding that one myself. Popeye's second half surge caught my attention, and I like the aggression with which he plays.  I think both end up at 2b (although Sosa could also play 3b).  Discounting the fact that Ramos could end up at 2b, if you had to keep one and trade the other, who would you pick?

29 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Are you Sosa > Popeye?  I have a hard time deciding that one myself. Popeye's second half surge caught my attention, and I like the aggression with which he plays.  I think both end up at 2b (although Sosa could also play 3b).  Discounting the fact that Ramos could end up at 2b, if you had to keep one and trade the other, who would you pick?

I like Sosa better because I believe in the swing changes that have created power. Rodriguez could end up the better player for sure but he's more volatile due to the approach at the plate. I think both are big leaguers though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 2:43 PM, Eminor3rd said:

That's a brutal writeup on C Perez

I think it’ll end up being wrong. He was actually excellent at throwing runners out until last year. Using the total stolen bases should keep in mind Charlotte had the worst pitching staff in the INtL league AND the new pickoff rules were in effect.

I know his arm has been considered below average, but hanging a 30 on it…I doubt they’d spend time on a catcher with a 30 arm.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the Dodgers list it continues to amaze me how the Sox completely ignore the catchers position.  The Dodgers have 6 catchers on their top prospect list  including their top prospect.  The Sox have one and he's a 26 year old backup.  The Dodgers also have an excellent catcher on the MLB team, have used catchers to aquire top talents in trades and they used their top pick in the draft last year on a catcher.  Maybe one of the Sox new analysts can write Hahn an algorithm to help him better understand the importance of the catchers position. 

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Looking at the Dodgers list it continues to amaze me how the Sox completely ignore the catchers position.  The Dodgers have 6 catchers on their top prospect list  including their top prospect.  The Sox have one and he's a 26 year old backup.  The Dodgers also have an excellent catcher on the MLB team, have used catchers to aquire top talents in trades and they used their top pick in the draft last year on a catcher.  Maybe one of the Sox new analysts can write Hahn an algorithm to help him better understand the importance of the catchers position. 

The Dodgers and Pirates are the exception. 

Catching is really dire across baseball, Sox included. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 10:17 AM, PolishPrince34 said:

The writeup on Kath wasn’t good. Also, Fangraphs are down on how we are developing our younger arms and in the organization. 

Sorry I'm late jumping in on this, but this was the biggest surprise on the list to me other than maybe how low Vera was. Kath went from a 40+ to a 35+ based on his performance in A ball in which he was almost two years younger than the competition. The AA experiment was a failure and the strikeouts were horrendous, but thats quite the drop. 

In general going from one 45+ and four 45 grade players to a 55, 50, and four 45 grade players is pretty solid. Hopefully Schultz becomes the pitcher this system desperately needs. 

• 1 month later...