Rumor: TLR will (NOT*) be present for ST *update

ChiSox59

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No one is asking a guy like Leury to be a gold glove shortstop, you’re asking him to not be so bad that he costs you every game he plays.

There are stats for that. His career WAR is 2.9  after a disaster year in 2022 (like most of the team) is that any good for a role player? 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

There are stats for that. His career WAR is 2.9  after a disaster year in 2022 (like most of the team) is that any good for a role player? 

A replacement level player is by definition 0 WAR per season. Leury has played 10 seasons (wow). That means, on average, he is a 0.3 WAR per season player. 

He is, effectively, on average, within error of a replacement level player for his career. That's a guy who, overall, you should have a decent chance of replacing with comparable production midseason by picking a guy up on waivers. Overall, no, that is not good enough for a role player.

From 2017-2021, a 5 (ok 4.5) year stretch, he put up 5.8 WAR. That...is acceptable for a role player. It's not Chris Taylor who is an excellent utility player, it's not an average starter on a medium team ~(2 WAR per year). But for a backup, playing part time, getting some value out of being able to play at difficult positions, that's a tolerable role player. 

That isn't a guy who should be batting 2nd or 3rd on anything other than a 55 win team. That isn't a guy who should be batting 3rd while your recent #3 draft pick bats 7th. That isn't a guy who is so important you can't afford to put him on the IL when he's banged up. That isn't a guy who you need to get in the lineup every day because he's so important that he needs at bats to get out of his slump. 

• Like 3

No argument. Tony misplayed him a lot. I believe Tony was in nostalgic land batting him 3rd. Since it helped Fisk break out of a slump he thought it would be magic again. Silly manager. 

This will be an early indicator of our new manager. I'm hopeful it will get better with Tony gone.

Out of the 100 or so games he played last year how many involved him being in a position like batting 3rd that we both acknowledge was a huge mistake? Or pretty much any outfield position. Basically he's a guy that should be playing about 60 to 75 games at 3rd, SS, or 2nd. 

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Out of the 100 or so games he played last year how many involved him being in a position like batting 3rd that we both acknowledge was a huge mistake? Or pretty much any outfield position. Basically he's a guy that should be playing about 60 to 75 games at 3rd, SS, or 2nd. 

Wasn't Garcia also fighting back soreness most of last year, with no real chance to rehab or recover from it? 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Wasn't Garcia also fighting back soreness most of last year, with no real chance to rehab or recover from it? 

Cairo said he wasn't playing because of back soreness. 

I think of the many things that Tony made worse while here, turning Sox fans against Garcia should be on the list. He's playing at the MLB level because he works hard, stays healthy, and does whatever he's asked without complaining. 

I'm thinking about a Bulls player Granville Waiters. Fans chanted his name to come in during garbage time and he'd get a standing ovation for scoring. Garcia should never be an everyday player and Tony forcing that on us was a travesty for Leury. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Cairo said he wasn't playing because of back soreness. 

I think of the many things that Tony made worse while here, turning Sox fans against Garcia should be on the list. He's playing at the MLB level because he works hard, stays healthy, and does whatever he's asked without complaining. 

I'm thinking about a Bulls player Granville Waiters. Fans chanted his name to come in during garbage time and he'd get a standing ovation for scoring. Garcia should never be an everyday player and Tony forcing that on us was a travesty for Leury. 

Couldn't agree more with all of this. Leury is the longest tenured player currently and we should be rooting for him to be on a winner. Forcing him into an everyday role made him wear the hole in the lineup and shoulder the scorn from the fan base. Not fair to him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Couldn't agree more with all of this. Leury is the longest tenured player currently and we should be rooting for him to be on a winner. Forcing him into an everyday role made him wear the hole in the lineup and shoulder the scorn from the fan base. Not fair to him.

True but he's got what 18 million reasons to 'put up' with it.

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It would be difficult for me, is that what you're going with here?

I think there are a whole lot of players who could do that, but they're good enough at their current positions that you don't want them to.

Could Tim Anderson do that? Probably. If he had a couple months to work on outfield, could he be at least as good as Pollock in the OF? Probably. He doesn't have the frame for 1b or for catcher, but anywhere else? Sure. With enough practice, could Robert play everywhere other than C and maybe SS? Heck, there's a decent chance that this time next year I'll be saying that Robert has to be moved out of CF.

With most guys who have the physical tools to do this, you want them working specifically on one position to try to be excellent at one position rather than good at several. 

There are probably about as many guys who are truly elite at being utility guys as there are who are truly elite at other positions. 

Blasphemy, TA is a C in my heart

20 hours ago, Texsox said:

Should we expect the same level of performance from a "positional versatility" guy playing center for example than a non versatile position player? 

I think Garcia is put in a crap position and is doomed to fail. Like Vaughn, I value their willingness to do whatever the team needed them to do. Garcia should be playing once or twice a week at most. Tony kept putting him in positions to fail and anger fans. 

Leury was used too much and played too much.  If paid and used appropriately his name would never be mentioned except to be a good guy to have around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2022 at 2:54 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Turns out this was just a rumor and not accurate.

Hahn addressed this in his media availability yesterday and I quote "I don't suspect you'll see him (TLR) here - perhaps we can get him out to come sit and watch a game or something....to enjoy some ball."

Pretty blunt and clear.  

• Like 1

• ChiSox59 changed the title to Rumor: TLR will (NOT*) be present for ST *update
22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hahn addressed this in his media availability yesterday and I quote "I don't suspect you'll see him (TLR) here - perhaps we can get him out to come sit and watch a game or something....to enjoy some ball."

Pretty blunt and clear.  

Hopefully all involved reevaluated and came to their senses.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Grifol had said it would be happening (well before the fake insider tweet) so I’m wondering if TLR’s health issues just haven’t been getting any better

Or someone above Grifol came to their senses and nixed it.  Either way, just stay away forever please TLR...

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty blunt and clear.  

I read the Merkin version of this and it sounded so weird (ongoing treatments) that I thought that there was a typo and they were talking about Liam rather than Larissa.