To be a fan...

Lip Man 1

I know this has been discussed here, along the lines of would you give up on the Sox? Could anything drive you away? Etc. 

I thought this was very well written trying to describe the emotions of the fan base after last season and why things may be different now:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/12/29/23529472/2022-the-year-that-broke-chicago-white-sox-fans

• Like 1

Could all this be a scheme to move the Sox to another city when the lease is up on GRF. Piss off the fans and watch attendance plummet to Oakland A's and Tampa Bay levels, and JR's heirs and partners sell to someone in another city, they would probably get more money from another city and buyers than they would if someone that bought the team while keeping them in Chicago. Nothing surprises me with the track record of Reinsdorf, I trust him as far as I can throw him. I'm sure some will say that the AL wouldn't allow the Sox to leave Chicago, well there is no AL anymore, it's MLB where money talks and BS walks. Let's face it, the Sox are not a premier franchise, a mediocre record down through the years with 3 WS Championships, very sad. The fans aren't exactly tearing down the walls to watch the team, the Sox drew 2 million last year for the first time since 2011, again sad. The Sox are one of the few MLB franchises that have never drawn 3 million fans in a season, pretty sad for the 3rd largest market in the country. Chicago is a Cub town and probably has 60-65 % of the Chicago market and at least half of the Illinois market who they share with the Cardinals, there are very few Sox fans in Illinois outside the Chicago metro area, the Sox market share is probably comparable to Cincinatti and Pittsburgh. All that and Chicago will probably be passed by Houston and Dallas by 2030 as 3rd largest metro area in the country while Chicago loses population. Other cities in the sun belt continue to grow, places like Charlotte, San Antonio and Nashville will be ripe for a MLB franchise. 

All that being said, it would pain me to see the Sox leave Chicago, I've been a fan since 1952 with many great memories but just think of the memories that Yankee, Dodger, Red Sox and Cardinal fans have.

BTW This new seating plan is the most insane configuration I've ever seen, who was the genius behind that.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I know this has been discussed here, along the lines of would you give up on the Sox? Could anything drive you away? Etc. 

I thought this was very well written trying to describe the emotions of the fan base after last season and why things may be different now:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/12/29/23529472/2022-the-year-that-broke-chicago-white-sox-fans

The endless bitterness here could drive me away. Whatever news comes out, some people are always extremely critical. Baseball is my main interest but I am spending more time following Bills football, who believe it or not still upset a lot of their fans but are 12-3 #1 AFC seed so far. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Could all this be a scheme to move the Sox to another city when the lease is up on GRF. Piss off the fans and watch attendance plummet to Oakland A's and Tampa Bay levels, and JR's heirs and partners sell to someone in another city, they would probably get more money from another city and buyers than they would if someone that bought the team while keeping them in Chicago. Nothing surprises me with the track record of Reinsdorf, I trust him as far as I can throw him. I'm sure some will say that the AL wouldn't allow the Sox to leave Chicago, well there is no AL anymore, it's MLB where money talks and BS walks. Let's face it, the Sox are not a premier franchise, a mediocre record down through the years with 3 WS Championships, very sad. The fans aren't exactly tearing down the walls to watch the team, the Sox drew 2 million last year for the first time since 2011, again sad. The Sox are one of the few MLB franchises that have never drawn 3 million fans in a season, pretty sad for the 3rd largest market in the country. Chicago is a Cub town and probably has 60-65 % of the Chicago market and at least half of the Illinois market who they share with the Cardinals, there are very few Sox fans in Illinois outside the Chicago metro area, the Sox market share is probably comparable to Cincinatti and Pittsburgh. All that and Chicago will probably be passed by Houston and Dallas by 2030 as 3rd largest metro area in the country while Chicago loses population. Other cities in the sun belt continue to grow, places like Charlotte, San Antonio and Nashville will be ripe for a MLB franchise. 

BTW This new seating plan is the most insane configuration I've ever seen, who was the genius behind that.

I know back in was in 1988 or 87 when Illinois almost lost them to St Pete, I was ready to become a Brew Crew fan w a mild interest in the Florida White Sox

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Relocating and rebranding to where they aren’t even the White Sox anymore, maybe. Even then I’d probably still be a fan.

Could be the team name is a jinx. Maybe Chicago Browns.

18 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You said that money talks and BS walks. Do you really think the White Sox are not making money?  JR would have sold years ago if the team was losing money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

You said that money talks and BS walks. Do you really think the White Sox are not making money?  JR would have sold years ago if the team was losing money.

I didnt say JR was losing money, I'm saying MLB could care less if the White Sox moved and MLB would capitalize on a move with new merchandising in a new city.

• Haha 1

I completely dropped the Blackhawks after them protecting a molester.   I was following less than ever anyway, but that was a line I couldn't cross.  Packed up my gear in a box, quit watching and listening to games, etc.

The hire of TLR got me watching and going to fewer games than I had ever gone to in the past.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I completely dropped the Blackhawks after them protecting a molester.   I was following less than ever anyway, but that was a line I couldn't cross.  Packed up my gear in a box, quit watching and listening to games, etc.

The hire of TLR got me watching and going to fewer games than I had ever gone to in the past.

Just curious, are there many Sox fans in your neck of the woods, at one time it was a huge Sox area as was NW indiana.

Moving out of the Chicago area is the only thing that would make me stop being a Sox fan. And if they did move, it would only be a matter of time until a different team relocated to be Chicago's 2nd team. Just because Jerry has failed to capitalize on the pot of gold that is Chicago's sports market, doesn't mean other owners or potential owners wont see the opportunity clear as day.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Relocating and rebranding to where they aren’t even the White Sox anymore, maybe. Even then I’d probably still be a fan.

Nah. The only 2 places would buffalo or maybe Raleigh or Charlotte

23 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Moving out of the Chicago area is the only thing that would make me stop being a Sox fan. And if they did move, it would only be a matter of time until a different team relocated to be Chicago's 2nd team. Just because Jerry has failed to capitalize on the pot of gold that is Chicago's sports market, doesn't mean other owners or potential owners wont see the opportunity clear as day.

There is no way an owner would more a team OUT of Chicago.. 

19 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

There is no way an owner would more a team OUT of Chicago.. 

Owners will do anything for money, just remember the Dodgers left Brooklyn, the Giants left NYC, The Rams left LA for St. Louis, the Browns left Cleveland for Baltimore and the Braves left Milwaukee where they never had a losing season and were the first NL team to draw 2 million fans in a season.

There were a lot of moves in pro sports that made a lot of sense and the Dodgers moving to LA was like finding a gold mine but at the time in 1957 baseball fans all over the country could not  believe that the Dodgers were leaving Brooklyn, it was just about sacrilegious. Don't ever buy into the idea that the Sox would never leave Chicago, it came very close to happening 3 different times.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The Chicago Cardinals football team left Chicago for St. Louis in 1960 and are now the Arizona Cardinals and after all these years there's still a soft spot in my heart for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The Chicago Cardinals football team left Chicago for St. Louis in 1960 and are now the Arizona Cardinals and after all these years there's still a soft spot in my heart for them.

Well yeah that’s different than what I am referring to. I’m saying they are relocated, team name changed, logo changed, colors changed to where there is no longer any roots to the team being here. Obviously I don’t think they will ever move in my lifetime though so moot thing to talk about.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is an odd subject, because technically the Blackhawks did nothing wrong to lose you as a fan, it was the people who currently own/run the team. If those people were to move on, would you be inclined to be a fan again?

The lease on the stadium expires in 7 more years. It will be curious to see if they renew the lease and for how long. I've met people who think the team is simply going to renew the lease and stay where they're at. Its such a sweetheart lease  I would think if they get the same deal they  might renew. If the lease is renewed for any length of time that should  end the talk about moving.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Owners will do anything for money, just remember the Dodgers left Brooklyn, the Giants left NYC, The Rams left LA for St. Louis, the Browns left Cleveland for Baltimore and the Braves left Milwaukee where they never had a losing season and were the first NL team to draw 2 million fans in a season.

There were a lot of moves in pro sports that made a lot of sense and the Dodgers moving to LA was like finding a gold mine but at the time in 1957 baseball fans all over the country could not  believe that the Dodgers were leaving Brooklyn, it was just about sacrilegious. Don't ever buy into the idea that the Sox would never leave Chicago, it came very close to happening 3 different times.

Your examples came from back in the day when the outside revenue streams (not involving ticket sales) were practically non-existent.  

In the hear and now especially in Chicago, a good owner with a winning franchise (again considering the overall history of teams in Chicago) would make more revenue than they could dream of. Chicago has advertising, marketing and promotional opportunities other cities simply do   not   have. Now throw in the sweetheart least that JR has had for decades and (assuming he is still around) the Sox aren't going anywhere.

That is one thing JR has done well, he has brought stability to this franchise. 

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Your examples came from back in the day when the outside revenue streams (not involving ticket sales) were practically non-existent.  

In the hear and now especially in Chicago, a good owner with a winning franchise (again considering the overall history of teams in Chicago) would make more revenue than they could dream of. Chicago has advertising, marketing and promotional opportunities other cities simply do   not   have. Now throw in the sweetheart least that JR has had for decades and (assuming he is still around) the Sox aren't going anywhere.

That is one thing JR has done well, he has brought stability to this franchise. 

Does anyone on the inside talk about that lease and plans for what is going to happen when it runs out? 

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Does anyone on the inside talk about that lease and plans for what is going to happen when it runs out? 

Balta: I have never heard anything along these lines but that's a good question. I'll try to reach out and see if I can get any feedback.