2nd Base I guess it’s going to be Sosa or Gonzalez?

AJ'S Cousin

24 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Get a damn trade done with a RP like Joe Kelly for a platoon LH 2B with good D and WRC+ north of 100 vs RHP like Guillorme already.

Every day I keep checking and they haven't done jack s%*#. Get something done already. 

Get something fucking done already. 

Please give me something of value for my expensive player who was garbage last year! 

47 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The ability to hit the ball hard is in the profile of about every 4A player from before there was dirt on the infield.  The separator is can he consistently hit the ball hard and with the swing and approach he showed last year the answer is a resounding hells no. 

When he was making contact, he was in fact hitting the ball hard. Your first sentence is stupid, we aren’t comparing 4A players to the general population. Compared to other ball players in the big leagues, Romy hit the ball hard.

If he truly can’t stop swinging at everything and has a 2% walk rate that he had for 100 at bats, then nothing matters. 

But I guess we’ll just have to add him to the list of Sox players who need an improved approach at the plate, which is a list that includes every player in the team. 

Or we could sign Josh Harrison, that’ll put us over the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Question for the board, but what is it you needed to see from Lenyn Sosa last year to feel comfortable giving him the 2B job?  I’ve seen several posters state that he needs more time in the minors, but what more does he need to accomplish there?  After a rough start to AAA, he dominated the level and put up numbers consistent with what he did in Birmingham where he was one of the best hitters in the league.

Sure, we could ask him to prove it out over a longer sample, but to me it’s quite clear he needs an extended shot in the majors.  He 100% could fail and create a black hole at the position, but 22 year old middle infielders putting up numbers like this in the upper minors warrant a serious look.  Again, Hahn should go acquire a LH bench piece to hedge this bet, but I really think we should give Lenyn a couple hundred PA’s to show us what he is capable of next year. 

Level | PA | BB % | K % | ISO | BABIP | OPS | wRC+

• AA:            289 | 7.3% | 13.8% | .218 | .340 | .933 | 141
  • AAA (1/2):   86 | 3.5% | 23.3% | .074 | .323 | .600 | 58
  • AAA (2/2): 161 | 9.3% | 14.3% | .228 | .336 | .943 | 149
  • Majors:       36 | 2.8% | 33.3% | .114 | .136 | .367 | -4

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Does anybody really think Romy has any chance of being a good regular? Just don’t see any standout skills and the only real sustained success he had in the minors was 344 AB’s as a 24 in AA. Obviously our options are limited, but I think you have to let Sosa absolutely fail before Romy sees any kind of regular AB’s. 

His arm. Graded out as the top arm in terms of velocity in all of MLB at 2B. Oddly enough, 2nd place was Segura. 

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Question for the board, but what is it you needed to see from Lenyn Sosa last year to feel comfortable giving him the 2B job?  I’ve seen several posters state that he needs more time in the minors, but what more does he need to accomplish there?  After a rough start to AAA, he dominated the level and put up numbers consistent with what he did in Birmingham where he was one of the best hitters in the league.

Sure, we could ask him to prove it out over a longer sample, but to me it’s quite clear he needs an extended shot in the majors.  He 100% could fail and create a black hole at the position, but 22 year old middle infielders putting up numbers like this in the upper minors warrant a serious look.  Again, Hahn should go acquire a LH bench piece to hedge this bet, but I really think we should give Lenyn a couple hundred PA’s to show us what he is capable of next year. 

I agree.

Said before but I’m not big on fishing for offensive solutions from second base. If we stabilize it, I’d prefer it be for a plus defensive player (I’ve mentioned schoop as a cheap acquisition that can be moved on from easily)

The good thing with Sosa is so don’t think there is anything bad about him playing AAA this year, but I am very excited for him.

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I 100% agree. I'm hoping Sosa takes the job and runs with it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Note that you said yourself that the Sox needed a bench piece here as a backup plan. They have poor backup plans at basically every spot in their org right now - Infield, Outfield, Starting pitching. When people are looking at guys like Segura, they are looking for backup plans and rotation players. Even if you acquired a guy like that, there are almost certainly several hundred ABs for a guy like Sosa. 

2. You have to admit this isn’t a long track record. He has 1 solid season at AA and above. That is absolutely moving him fast. He could have success doing so, but I couldn’t find myself outraged at all if someone said they wanted him to at least spend a couple more months at AAA before coming up. 247 decent AAA plate appearances is a solid start but you can’t tell me that there’s no possible benefit to him having more time there.

3. There’s little leeway here. This is a team that struggled offensively and defensively last year and lost its best offensive producer to FA. On defense, his spot was held last year by a guy who was pretty good defensively, which gave him some value even if his offense wasn’t good. None of what you have shown me establishes that this guy is going to immediately be an offensive force in the big leagues. If he isn’t, there’s little margin for error, production from 2b has already been assumed by people expecting this team to be above .500. If he is a really good hitter 2 years from now, that doesn’t help a team that is basically all in for this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

1. Note that you said yourself that the Sox needed a bench piece here as a backup plan. They have poor backup plans at basically every spot in their org right now - Infield, Outfield, Starting pitching. When people are looking at guys like Segura, they are looking for backup plans and rotation players. Even if you acquired a guy like that, there are almost certainly several hundred ABs for a guy like Sosa. 

Not with Leury there. 2 backup infielders (one who for sure can't hit) isn't an efficient plan either.   Unless Leury is the 4th OF.....then there will be other issues.

Of all of the positions we could try to fill internally, I think 2B is the one we have the most quality options.  If they had done a bit more shopping in the OF and the pitching, I wouldn't even feel bad about them going internal here.  But as it is, we have a lot of question marks.  You can get by with a failure or two if everything else is solid.  But the more questions you have, the more that can go wrong.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Not with Leury there. 2 backup infielders (one who for sure can't hit) isn't an efficient plan either.   Unless Leury is the 4th OF.....then there will be other issues.

If you brought in a "Segura" right now, your bench on opening day is probably something like Seby, Romy, Leury, and Hamilton/Reyes, with Sosa starting in AAA (or swap Sosa and Romy depending on who has a good spring training). Out of Segura, Moncada, and Anderson, you probably plan on 0 of them getting 600 plate appearances, hell there's a good chance one of them is hurt before the team breaks camp. Leury hasn't exactly been the paragon of health either, last year he is another guy who probably should have gotten an IL stint to try to heal up. If Sosa was putting up a .850 OPS at Charlotte for the first few weeks and we were handling this well, it wouldn't be long before he was up either to fill in for an injury or because someone was struggling. Compared to last year, if people are struggling with the bat and dealing with a minor nagging injury, it would make way more sense to put them on the IL for 2 weeks to let them rest and do some strength training rather than playing them every day and hoping they can play through it. Having a guy who was as bad as Leury on the roster isn't ideal, but at least there's several backup plans - hopefully one of them would work well enough.

Just now, Good Guys said:

There are still a few decent free agent options like Profar or Andrus.  Also, a trade could happen.  The Padres are shopping Kim.

I'd be only half surprised if they brought in someone like Andrus or Harrison, but either of them seem a notable downgrade and less likely to be successful rotation players. 

So let’s say the Sox go with Romy as the starting 2B as rumored, what would the bench look like right now?  Obviously Leury & Seby are locks, but who fills out the other two spots?  There isn’t really a true backup infielder unless you utilize Garcia in such a way (which goes against the little value he provides) or go with Sosa in a pure reserve role (which is not ideal IMO).

And then who is your 4th OF?  Leury will be part of the OF mix for better or worse, but I don’t like him as a true 4th OF type who should get quite a bit of playing time.  Romy can theoretically play some OF as well but is also your starting 2B in this hypothetical.  Reyes & Hamilton are simply AAA depth and should not be guys making an opening day 26 roster.

To me, it’s very apparent we need to upgrade this bench.  Right now, I’d assume Sheets is all but guaranteed a spot and that’s just asking for trouble.  No idea who would get the other spot, but guys like Erik Gonzalez don’t cut it.  If you want to go young at 2B & RF, at least have capable contingency plans in place who can also provide protection in the event of injury at other spots.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So let’s say the Sox go with Romy as the starting 2B as rumored, what would the bench look like right now?  Obviously Leury & Seby are locks, but who fills out the other two spots?  There isn’t really a true backup infielder unless you utilize Garcia in such a way (which goes against the little value he provides) or go with Sosa in a pure reserve role (which is not ideal IMO).

And then who is your 4th OF?  Leury will be part of the OF mix for better or worse, but I don’t like him as a true 4th OF type who should get quite a bit of playing time.  Romy can theoretically play some OF as well but is also your starting 2B in this hypothetical.  Reyes & Hamilton are simply AAA depth and should not be guys making an opening day 26 roster.

To me, it’s very apparent we need to upgrade this bench.  Right now, I’d assume Sheets is all but guaranteed a spot and that’s just asking for trouble.  No idea who would get the other spot, but guys like Erik Gonzalez don’t cut it.  If you want to go young at 2B & RF, at least have capable contingency plans in place who can also provide protection in the event of injury at other spots.

Is this also assuming Colas makes the OD roster? 

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As of now, Sheets is your OD RF until Colas arrives. Cespedes is probably the 4th OF, or perhaps Reyes but he’s a bad 4th OF. Leury is super sub. 

I think they’ll sign an Of tho. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

As of now, Sheets is your OD RF until Colas arrives. Cespedes is probably the 4th OF, or perhaps Reyes but he’s a bad 4th OF. Leury is super sub. 

I think they’ll sign an Of tho. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, I still think they end up with one of Pillar, Pham, or Duvall. If not, then probably Cespedes.

Cespedes would be a complete disaster offensively IMO.  Honestly, I think Billy Hamilton would probably outhit him right now.  Maybe he can improve his pitch recognition with time, but he’s nowhere near ready yet.

Which reaffirms the need to add a legit 4th OF before spring training.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Get a damn trade done with a RP like Joe Kelly for a platoon LH 2B with good D and WRC+ north of 100 vs RHP like Guillorme already.

Every day I keep checking and they haven't done jack s%*#. Get something done already. 

Get something fucking done already. 

I’d rather have Kelly. We already have a guillorme.., and his name is Leury.