2nd Base I guess it’s going to be Sosa or Gonzalez?

AJ'S Cousin

6 hours ago, Quin said:

Gonna just reiterate that I'd like Profar, because he could provide backup for both the infield and outfield.

You've got Romy (who can also play some outfield), Sosa, Rodriguez, Yolbert, and — if he hits at the same torrid pace that he did last year — Montgomery. Romy and Sosa both seem like they could break camp, Yolbert will probably be in AAA along with Rodriguez, and we all know about Colson.

Any insurance policy needs flexibility. Dumping huge assets into someone to block upwards of five dudes just reeks of resource allocation.

I think you are hearing Duvall so much because he can play all 3 OF positions pretty well and Robert always seems to miss a lot of time. He would also be the biggest HR threat off the bench which would make him a top priority who, with extended playing, time could reach 20+ HR's.

Profar has a nice bat but defensively at least last year he was primarily a LF . Didn't play CF or 2B at all while starting 147games. If the Sox didn't get Benintendi , Profar might've been in their sights. If the Sox didnt already have Leury, Profar would be fine. But he doesn't really fill the CF or 2b problems.

He was pretty bad last year. He hasnt played SS or 3rd base since 2018. Since 2019 he's only played 27 games at 2nd base.

We think of him as being versatile but his defense doesn't track in very many positions now. It's just not good enough. You want a Switch hitting LF /1B man that's what he's becoming.

2 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

You don’t think Colas earned his promotion?

One year in the minors is really fast for some people especially without much AAA time. He got stronger and stronger as he progressed and did all that while not playing much the last couple of years.

The reason I wanted him called up last year was to get a head start on this year. It was apparent that his 1st season was a spectacular success in every way advancing from A+ to AAA all in his 1st season in the states. I wanted him to have a trial run and was getting pretty sick of the OF defense. I thought it best for him to get a feel for RF at home and give him an introduction to MLB pitching.

I thought it was pretty apparent with the need for LH power and better defense in the OF that he was a perfect fit for RF and the sooner he can get acclimated to MLB the better.

Now if he is held down for the extra year his growing pains will be from May through July or longer instead of perhaps August and September of last year . It also would have got Robert out of the lineup and allowed him to heel.Giving him time last year would have given him a jump on this year and given the Sox some idea on his readiness. The new coaches could've studied tapes on him in MLB and developed an off season plan for him. But Colas is currently working with assistant hitting coach Mike Tosar with Romy Gonzalez in Miami so that's a good sign.

Tosar was in Atlanta when the 3 aforementioned ( in previous posts) Brave's rookies did their thing.

Any way here's an article about the triumvirate of Sox hitting coaches.

https://soxmachine.com/2022/12/jose-castro/

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you are hearing Duvall so much because he can play all 3 OF positions pretty well and Robert always seems to miss a lot of time. He would also be the biggest HR threat off the bench which would make him a top priority who, with extended playing, time could reach 20+ HR's.

Profar has a nice bat but defensively at least last year he was primarily a LF . Didn't play CF or 2B at all while starting 147games. If the Sox didn't get Benintendi , Profar might've been in their sights. If the Sox didnt already have Leury, Profar would be fine. But he doesn't really fill the CF or 2b problems.

He was pretty bad last year. He hasnt played SS or 3rd base since 2018. Since 2019 he's only played 27 games at 2nd base.

We think of him as being versatile but his defense doesn't track in very many positions now. It's just not good enough. You want a Switch hitting LF /1B man that's what he's becoming.

Yeah all this. It is a true warts and all position now. I think outfield defense is more vulnerable currently than any offensive gains for a lot of these guys we are discussing. 

We had a good pitching staff last year because they Kd a lot of batters, but any contact went to the worst defense of my life.

Benintendi is just a neutral outfielder, Robert had trended to slightly above average, and colas is reported as average albeit with a dynamite arm.

adding our fourth outfielder as just a limited corner guy puts more PT to Leury and Romy. Puts a lot of pressure on Roberts health.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah all this. It is a true warts and all position now. I think outfield defense is more vulnerable currently than any offensive gains for a lot of these guys we are discussing. 

We had a good pitching staff last year because they Kd a lot of batters, but any contact went to the worst defense of my life.

Benintendi is just a neutral outfielder, Robert had trended to slightly above average, and colas is reported as average albeit with a dynamite arm.

adding our fourth outfielder as just a limited corner guy puts more PT to Leury and Romy. Puts a lot of pressure on Roberts health.

Are we gonna get a last minute Adam Engel signing?

On 12/29/2022 at 4:31 PM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'm fine with Leury starting ~80 games around the diamond.

With the regulars at 2nd, 3rd, and SS planning on playing 140 to 150 that has him at 60 or so. Toss in a couple injuries and 80 is reasonable. It's also a lot less than the past couple seasons. 

12 hours ago, Texsox said:

With the regulars at 2nd, 3rd, and SS planning on playing 140 to 150 that has him at 60 or so. Toss in a couple injuries and 80 is reasonable. It's also a lot less than the past couple seasons. 

I used to stick up for Leury because he was my adopt a prospect but Leury Garcia is a poor excuse to have playing most positions. He should be a getting his minor leagues and NRI contracts after last year. ANdrus got DFA by a non contender w 1.8 war because they no longer wanted to pay him more money when his bonus kicked in after 550 AB. He shouldn't be getting any games. The Sox should have a versatile 4th OF and a decently versatile INF who can provide way more than Leury does.

I'm totally mystified by anyone being OK with him on a team that's supposed to care about winning.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I used to stick up for Leury because he was my adopt a prospect but Leury Garcia is a poor excuse to have playing most positions. He should be a getting his minor leagues and NRI contracts after last year. ANdrus got DFA by a non contender w 1.8 war because they no longer wanted to pay him more money when his bonus kicked in after 550 AB. He shouldn't be getting any games. The Sox should have a versatile 4th OF and a decently versatile INF who can provide way more than Leury does.

I'm totally mystified by anyone being OK with him on a team that's supposed to care about winning.

If Andrus wants to sign for cheap and to be a backup, sure sign him. But I’m sure he’s holding out for a starting spot as of right now.

I don’t think anyone is really “ok” with Leury being on the team. He’s here with a guaranteed deal so our opinion on him doesn’t really matter. They aren’t going to cut him. It is what it is.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There is a chance he was playing hurt for a lot of last season. 

I agree he shouldn't be in the outfield, but they needed him there and so he went. I'm not certain we should be holding that against him. Even after the disaster of last season he's got a career WAR of 1.9. He's the grinder on the team. No surprises, shows up everyday ready to play, gives 100%.

Sure, there isn't anyone on the roster I wouldn't like see upgraded. But with much bigger holes to fill, I'm fine with him as the INF sub. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

There is a chance he was playing hurt for a lot of last season. 

I agree he shouldn't be in the outfield, but they needed him there and so he went. I'm not certain we should be holding that against him. Even after the disaster of last season he's got a career WAR of 1.9. He's the grinder on the team. No surprises, shows up everyday ready to play, gives 100%.

Sure, there isn't anyone on the roster I wouldn't like see upgraded. But with much bigger holes to fill, I'm fine with him as the INF sub. 

That over parts of ten seasons is absolutely putrid.

• Like 1

I have no idea the cost or feasibility, however Whit Merrifield makes so much sense that it hurts. 2B and RF. Perfect fit. $4mm salary with a $500k buyout. One year deal, unless s%*# gets crazy and you want to do a $18mm mutual option ha. 

No idea what he costs. Cespedes? More? Less? I'd give whatever it is though and then lock him up for 2 more years. 

On 12/31/2022 at 8:56 AM, bmags said:

Okay, this just is not true at all, at all. Benintendi won a gold glove last year, in 2021. Luis Robert won a gold glove in 2020. To describe Benintendi's defense as "neutral"  and Robert as "slightly above average" is ridiculous. 

Colas will be a huge improvement defensively over who the Sox have had in RF in a loooong time. 

If they stay injury free, outfield defense will be a real strength of this upcoming Sox team. 

I don't understand how some "fans" come on here just to complain and to justify their complaints with stuff that just is not true. 

11 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I have no idea the cost or feasibility, however Whit Merrifield makes so much sense that it hurts. 2B and RF. Perfect fit. $4mm salary with a $500k buyout. One year deal, unless s%*# gets crazy and you want to do a $18mm mutual option ha. 

No idea what he costs. Cespedes? More? Less? I'd give whatever it is though and then lock him up for 2 more years. 

Merrifield absolutely makes a lot of sense.  He can start at RF and/or 2B, and if by chance Colas AND Sosa/Romy steal both those positions, he can become a great super-sub.

34 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I think, as of now, Merrifield will see time at 2B and LF with the Jays with Kiermaier and Espinal working as a platoon.

vs RHP: Kiermaier in CF, Varsho LF, Merrifield 2B

vs LHP: Varsho in CF, Merrifield LF, Espinal 2B

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think, as of now, Merrifield will see time at 2B and LF with the Jays with Kiermaier and Espinal working as a platoon.

vs RHP: Kiermaier in CF, Varsho LF, Merrifield 2B

vs LHP: Varsho in CF, Merrifield LF, Espinal 2B

Biggio will be in the mix too. 

• Like 1

Yep, they have a bit of a logjam. I'd think Merrifield returns the most value in a trade, I also think he's the better of Biggio and obviously the Jays are going for it too, so not sure if they'd be motivated to move him at all. He's a great player to bounce around that team too. I'm sure we've picked up the phone and asked when we likely picked up the phone on Jansen. Based on the signings of Erik Gonzalez and no flier on Segura I'd guess those talks didn't go anywhere. Another one of those low cost, common sense deals that you'd hope your GM would be able to execute.. alas, Erik Gonzalez. 

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Okay, this just is not true at all, at all. Benintendi won a gold glove last year, in 2021. Luis Robert won a gold glove in 2020. To describe Benintendi's defense as "neutral"  and Robert as "slightly above average" is ridiculous. 

Colas will be a huge improvement defensively over who the Sox have had in RF in a loooong time. 

If they stay injury free, outfield defense will be a real strength of this upcoming Sox team. 

I don't understand how some "fans" come on here just to complain and to justify their complaints with stuff that just is not true. 

Benintendi won a gold glove by “default”. There were literally 2 left fielders who had enough innings to qualify in 2021, Tendi and Varsh, and Benintendi played 200 more innings than Varsho. There were a number of people who did a better job fielding LF that season, but they were platoon players or had injuries so Benintendi played way more innings than them. He literally won that Gold Glove against zero competition, he is an average fielding LF who happened to play much of the season healthy. You may feel free to note how useful it would be to the White Sox to have a healthy and reliable corner OF, but he’s still only an average fielder.

Luis Robert was an excellent fielder when he came up. However, in 2021 he suffered a serious hip injury and since that time his speed and range have both dropped significantly, which was exactly what was said could happen when he had the injury. That was enough to leave him a slightly below average fielding CF last year. Now it is possible that other things such as the White Sox’s coaches encouraging players not to run hard contributed to this in 2022 and that could be fixed with better coaching, but Robert’s 2020 performance just isn’t relevant to what he did in 2022 or what he will do for the future as much as his current condition.