2nd Base I guess it’s going to be Sosa or Gonzalez?

AJ'S Cousin

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I still have a hard time believing that the Sox are serious about winning and I doubt the Front Office when they say they’re trying to make the team better when Leury Garcia is still on the roster.

Getting rid of him, makes them better instantly.

While I agree that the Sox should cut Leury and keeping him shows that they're not as serious about winning as they could be, but that said, there is no reason to cut him until Spring Training. You never know if you're going to have a few injuries. You're going to be paying him regardless so might as well wait to the last minute. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Used sparingly getting the occasional start at 2B and in the OF, he's fine.  He can play multiple positions and is a decent utility guy to have on the roster.  TLR's blatant misuse of him, and the fact that he gets paid WAY too much money makes us despise the guy.

A .500 OPS wouldn’t be fine no matter how the guy was used. But, based on the fact that Cairo shut him down with a back injury, it does seem likely that he was trying to play through a back injury that should have had him shut down to rehab.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A .500 OPS wouldn’t be fine no matter how the guy was used. But, based on the fact that Cairo shut him down with a back injury, it does seem likely that he was trying to play through a back injury that should have had him shut down to rehab.

Of everything that went wrong last season, the team's handling of injuries (for the majority of the season, not so much post-TLR) is still the most puzzling aspect to me. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, raBBit said:

While I agree that the Sox should cut Leury and keeping him shows that they're not as serious about winning as they could be, but that said, there is no reason to cut him until Spring Training. You never know if you're going to have a few injuries. You're going to be paying him regardless so might as well wait to the last minute. 

yes.  Similar to Grandal, cutting either of them makes 0 sense since we are already paying them and clearly don't have the money to sign their replacements.  Keep them until they need to be cut.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Of everything that went wrong last season, the team's handling of injuries (for the majority of the season, not so much post-TLR) is still the most puzzling aspect to me. 

for surreeeee.  Not sure if this was a Hahn thing, medical staff thing where they under-estimated out times or what.. But it was a disaster allll yeaaaar long

• Hawk 1

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Used sparingly getting the occasional start at 2B and in the OF, he's fine.  He can play multiple positions and is a decent utility guy to have on the roster.  TLR's blatant misuse of him, and the fact that he gets paid WAY too much money makes us despise the guy.

That's it here. He really shouldn't be starting, just a guy you put in late in games or extra innings where you start to run low on players. A very rare start, but largely coming off the bench later in games as needed. He's been way overused. If he is playing too much, it probably has something to do with the organization not filling in holes this off-season.

2 hours ago, raBBit said:

That's very fair

20 minutes ago, spiderman said:

That's it here. He really shouldn't be starting, just a guy you put in late in games or extra innings where you start to run low on players. A very rare start, but largely coming off the bench later in games as needed. He's been way overused. If he is playing too much, it probably has something to do with the organization not filling in holes this off-season.

There has to be a better alternative out there. 

2 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

There has to be a better alternative out there. 

Who?  There isn't a better alternative on the 40 man roster.  They're paying Leury regardless. Cutting Leury and signing like Jonathan Villar - what does that accomplish other than spending more $?

The constant Leury handwringing is so dumb.  It was a terrible deal; we can all agree on that.  But there really is no reason to cut him right now.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who?  There isn't a better alternative on the 40 man roster.  They're paying Leury regardless. Cutting Leury and signing like Jonathan Villar - what does that accomplish other than spending more $?

The constant Leury handwringing is so dumb.  It was a terrible deal; we can all agree on that.  But there really is no reason to cut him right now.  

As with the catcher's spot...if he has a moderately serious back problem that lingers into this year, then the downside is that they aren't willing or able to replace him and they wind up with the same exact issues this year but no available free agents to replace him.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As with the catcher's spot...if he has a moderately serious back problem that lingers into this year, then the downside is that they aren't willing or able to replace him and they wind up with the same exact issues this year but no available free agents to replace him.

Nope.  There will be plenty of free agents available to replace Leury.  We will have 2 or 3 in our own minor league system

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He has a place on the roster as a utility player, but not as a platoon/regular starter (as he has been used). No reason to cut him, but they need to use like he is the last positional player on your roster (which he should be).

4 minutes ago, spiderman said:

He has a place on the roster as a utility player, but not as a platoon/regular starter (as he has been used). No reason to cut him, but they need to use like he is the last positional player on your roster (which he should be).

We are in complete agreement. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I have no idea why they didn't sign Adam Frazier. 1/8 is not terrible. 

When they already moved $10 million out of the $27 million they've spent on free agents into future years, I have a pretty sensible guess as to why they haven't done that. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

When they already moved $10 million out of the $27 million they've spent on free agents into future years, I have a pretty sensible guess as to why they haven't done that. 

It's fucking 8 million dollars. That's not that much in baseball free agency context. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I believe the solution is still Elvis. A 2 year deal is appropriate for about 10 to 12 million. We lost out on all the other legitimate 2nd basemen. No trades on the horizon, no idiotic ideas please like Garcia playing 80 games at second, converting Burger to 2nd Base. Elvis is the answer for now if he’s willing to play second. If he insists on playing SS then no, don’t sign him. Sosa and Gonzalez are a risk but we may have no choice.