2nd Base I guess it’s going to be Sosa or Gonzalez?

AJ'S Cousin

image.png

Sox get a top 10 catching prospect and their 2B while they continue to develop Sosa., Yankees get a longer time window on a promising arm and interesting reserve bat to back up Rizzo and Donaldson while clearning 2B for DJ LeMahieu.

1 minute ago, beautox said:

image.png

Sox get a top 10 catching prospect and their 2B while they continue to develop Sosa., Yankees get a longer time window on a promising arm and interesting reserve bat to back up Rizzo and Donaldson while clearning 2B for DJ LeMahieu.

Wells isn’t a catcher long term.

Edited by Joshua Strong

17 minutes ago, beautox said:

image.png

Don't love the idea of trading Burger considering I think he's important depth for next season, but this proposal makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

What about Rougned Odor for the Sox? A platoon with Sosa and him is intriguing. 

If we got the Odor from a couple years ago that would be a nice fit. He had a really bad 2022 though, both offensively and defensively (at least per OAA). He's still under 30 and is probably a good bet to bounce back.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Don't love the idea of trading Burger considering I think he's important depth for next season, but this proposal makes a lot of sense.

Sure if you eliminate the money portion of it the proposal makes sense, but when you factor in the contract the Sox are broke and aren’t taking on money

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

What about Rougned Odor for the Sox? A platoon with Sosa and him is intriguing. 

The problem with giving Odor, or any other 2B option left, a major league deal is that it seems almost impossible to have 3 of Luery, Odor(or whoever) and 1 of Sosa/Romy on the roster at once. Unfortunately we are stuck with Luery’s bad contract as a backup IF so giving Odor a major league deal almost promises him the starting job. Can’t have a bench of Luery, Romy, Marisnick, and Sebby. 

No idea what his market is, but if Odor could be had on a NRI deal I’d be all for it.

Odor's savant page induces nausea. A NRI? I guess, sure. Dude had a 645 OPS vs righties last year and was a bad defender, and also has been below lg avg hitter since 2017. I'd much rather let Lenyn run with 2B than have this as the alternative. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
sold odor short by .001 on the RHP OPS
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Odor's savant page induces nausea. A NRI? I guess, sure. Dude had a 644 OPS vs righties last year and was a bad defender, and also has been below lg avg hitter since 2017. I'd much rather let Lenyn run with 2B than have this as the alternative. 

Me too. Leury can at least cover OF too

17 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The problem with giving Odor, or any other 2B option left, a major league deal is that it seems almost impossible to have 3 of Luery, Odor(or whoever) and 1 of Sosa/Romy on the roster at once. Unfortunately we are stuck with Luery’s bad contract as a backup IF so giving Odor a major league deal almost promises him the starting job. Can’t have a bench of Luery, Romy, Marisnick, and Sebby. 

No idea what his market is, but if Odor could be had on a NRI deal I’d be all for it.

I don't see why you can't have a bench of (1) backup C, (2) backup IF, (3) 4th OF, and (4) Leury. That would mean that Sheets is the odd man out but I don't see how he's going to get his at bats anyway (barring injury), other than giving Vaughn rest. Eloy should start every day at DH, and Colas should get all the RF starts against RHP.

If they bring in a legit 4th OF like Duvall or McCutchen then I'd be fine with Sosa/Odor at 2B.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Odor's savant page induces nausea. A NRI? I guess, sure. Dude had a 644 OPS vs righties last year and was a bad defender, and also has been below lg avg hitter since 2017. I'd much rather let Lenyn run with 2B than have this as the alternative. 

He had an awful 2022 but was a plus defender at 2B every year beforehand. His career OPS against RHP is .725.

Really, .645 against RHP is probably better than we should expect out of Romy/Sosa/Leury, so if he rebounds even a little towards his career marks he would be a nice addition. He's only 29. If Sosa runs away with 2B, all the better, but this gives the team a bit of a cushion in the likely event that that doesn't happen right away.

3 hours ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I don't see why you can't have a bench of (1) backup C, (2) backup IF, (3) 4th OF, and (4) Leury. That would mean that Sheets is the odd man out but I don't see how he's going to get his at bats anyway (barring injury), other than giving Vaughn rest. Eloy should start every day at DH, and Colas should get all the RF starts against RHP.

If they bring in a legit 4th OF like Duvall or McCutchen then I'd be fine with Sosa/Odor at 2B.

Yes, if a legit 4th OFer is brought in it would work. But if it goes the way it’s looking and it’s Marisnick/Reyes/Hamilton I don’t think it would. At least in my opinion. All too soft of hitters.

I know our options aren’t plentiful or great, but I’d still want a better pinch hitter on the bench. In a scenario where we need a pinch hitter I wouldn’t feel good about any of those guys needing to drive the ball.

37 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yes, if a legit 4th OFer is brought in it would work. But if it goes the way it’s looking and it’s Marisnick/Reyes/Hamilton I don’t think it would. At least in my opinion. All too soft of hitters.

I know our options aren’t plentiful or great, but I’d still want a better pinch hitter on the bench. In a scenario where we need a pinch hitter I wouldn’t feel good about any of those guys needing to drive the ball.

Yeah you can almost argue that Burger has a shot at a bench spot as backup 1B/3B.

6 hours ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

He had an awful 2022 but was a plus defender at 2B every year beforehand. His career OPS against RHP is .725.

Really, .645 against RHP is probably better than we should expect out of Romy/Sosa/Leury, so if he rebounds even a little towards his career marks he would be a nice addition. He's only 29. If Sosa runs away with 2B, all the better, but this gives the team a bit of a cushion in the likely event that that doesn't happen right away.

My issue with Odor is he just hasn't shown any upside in recent years. He's a negative defender since 2019 per DRS (OAA was more favorable towards him until last season), and while his career OPS against RHP may be .725, from 2019 to now it's been .678, .737 (2020 short season), .625, and .645. That's putrid production. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 12:11 PM, bmags said:

There have been three writers now that have linked Gleybar to the Sox. Not necessarily the world beaters, but Bruce joins Bowden and then a few weeks ago Dan O’Dowd. 

Would be a great pick up. Sox need to be aggressive given the Hendricks news. 

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Would be a great pick up. Sox need to be aggressive given the Hendricks news. 

I don't see how trading a bullpen guy who has the potential to be good helps the bullpen situation which has probably just lost their closer for the entire season (using Scott Radinsky as a measuring stick from 1994)

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

I don't see how trading a bullpen guy who has the potential to be good helps the bullpen situation which has probably just lost their closer for the entire season (using Scott Radinsky as a measuring stick from 1994)

They than follow it up but finding other relievers or making other moves. They need to be aggressive now and make some more moves. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

They than follow it up but finding other relievers or making other moves. They need to be aggressive now and make some more moves. 

A good franchise would do what you are suggesting.

The White Sox with their self-imposed salary cap probably doesn't have the means or more importantly the will. They'll simply "hope" things work out and when they don't make excuses.

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

A good franchise would do what you are suggesting.

The White Sox with their self-imposed salary cap probably doesn't have the means or more importantly the will. They'll simply "hope" things work out and when they don't make excuses.

I am hoping somehow they now realize they got to go deeper into their wallets for this season. 

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If anything,  I bet it does the opposite. 

Well... I would very much imagine that insurance recoups the sox explicitly for a situation like this. So they may have Liam's salary at neutral. And I would guess they definitely had insurance on his contract.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Well... I would very much imagine that insurance recoups the sox explicitly for a situation like this. So they may have Liam's salary at neutral. And I would guess they definitely had insurance on his contract.

Cancer insurance is usually a separate policy.  I know Lloyds of London is the one who specializes in this kind of oddball one off insurance so who knows what is possible here and what the Sox felt was worth paying to cover.