Sox with "plenty of money" left in Jan 15 international pool

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Did today's signees sop up the "plenty of money" referenced atop the thread?; or are they the original signees and there is plenty of money after they signed.

They're the original signees (outside of a couple low bonus guys), so "plenty of money", about 2.4M, remains available. They said that some signings from Venezuela should be coming through soon, so how much more that takes out of the remaining $ is yet to be seen (I do believe the 2.4M amount does reflect the rumored Angelo Hernandez bonus amount).

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:16 AM, Sleepy Harold said:

The only one missing from this list so far is the Catcher from Venezuela Angelo Hernandez and I didn't see a $ figure for him.  The 7 listed comes to $2,300,060 subtracted from $5,284,0000 = $2,983,940 - whatever Hernandez signed for.

So far those 8 guys only I've seen multiple teams on the list with 20+ signings including the Guardians. So far looks as though the Sox have signed the least amount of players. Some teams have 2 DSL teams is that correct ? So they can keep and play more guys. If you only have 1 team it's hard to make a lot of signings. How many teams have 2 DSL teams if I am right about that ?

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The only one missing from this list so far is the Catcher from Venezuela Angelo Hernandez and I didn't see a $ figure for him.  The 7 listed comes to $2,300,060 subtracted from $5,284,0000 = $2,983,940 - whatever Hernandez signed for.

So far those 8 guys only I've seen multiple teams on the list with 20+ signings including the Guardians. So far looks as though the Sox have signed the least amount of players. Some teams have 2 DSL teams is that correct ? So they can keep and play more guys. If you only have 1 team it's hard to make a lot of signings. How many teams have 2 DSL teams if I am right about that ?

Hernandez is rumored to be 500k, so that brings the total down to that 2.4M area. And yes there are several teams that have multiple DSL clubs. Assuming I counted correctly, the Sox are one of 11 teams to only have one DSL team. I believe it to be incredibly dumb and short-sighted given the potential return they could get from being able to roster/play more talent. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Hernandez is rumored to be 500k, so that brings the total down to that 2.4M area. And yes there are several teams that have multiple DSL clubs. Assuming I counted correctly, the Sox are one of 11 teams to only have one DSL team. I believe it to be incredibly dumb and short-sighted given the potential return they could get from being able to roster/play more talent. 

Historically remember JR doesn't believe much in the minor league system and has gone on record as saying he doesn't believe in paying for "potential."

With that being said there are only a limited number of ways to procure talent, since he doesn't seem to think developing it is the right way, maybe he should start signing quality free agents...

Oh wait...guess that's not the right way either! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

And this is not talked about enough either. When you talk about commitment to player development and investing in the international market it all starts here. This has been and always will be about money. 1 less team  = drafting less players = spending less money. Instead of a bunch of under $50K signings and getting lucky once in a while that some pan out you get 10 guys and hope you can nurture them into good players. That well hasn't exactly been overflowing for the Sox in their pitiful history of getting young international talent to blossom.

This has always been about JR controlling the purse strings.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 1/17/2023 at 9:41 AM, bmags said:

If you went with one heuristic to judge a bunch of 16 year olds playing baseball, probably their bloodlines would be tops. Despite that, I do get nervous paddy is graduating to a stage of just rewarding friends and former players kids that aren't at the echelon of bidding wars.

Feels like he runs things a lot like ken williams. Likes being hands on in the scouting, but maybe runs a smaller network because of it (like how we clearly don't even bother with Asia). He's a great talent scout so we end up with some huge hits, but smaller volume, and the lack of delegation is maybe why we are so often left with smaller classes?

Just some theories on why things look like this.

You overlooked JR and the answer to why less of anything dealing with the Sox is always  Reinsdorf.

We have 2 recent examples of it right in front of our noses and yet we have some on the board still bringing up Wilder and preferring Leury over Andrus and being fine with Marisnick as the 4th OF and talking about sunk costs.

The Sox one have 1 DSL team when the clear majority of MLB teams have 2. With a large IFA class you can't roster and play and develop that many guys. If you draft 20-25 guys a year instead of 10 that's an extra 10-15 guys. Over 5 years its an extra 50-75 guys that can become a superstar . And there are plenty of example of guys who signed for a pittance in the IFA market that have become stars in MLB.

Reinsdorf always wants to sink as little as possible into developing minor league talent. That's just the way it is.

On the 26 man roster he sets a hard cap of what they will spend with no regard to going the extra mile to insure the team is capable of handling key injuries. Winning isn't the priority . If it was they'd be investing more in the minors, player development and the 26 man roster.

Duvall is a perfect example. He's 34 and we keep hearing excuses from water carriers that oh well Duvall went where he can play the most. BS.He's 34 and the opportunity to earn more guaranteed money is always the key incentive when you have people to support for many many more years of their lives . Even people who have made millions of dollars cannot afford to give up $2M extra when they may have grown accustomed to their big houses and living the life of a rich baseball player. When the well runs try before you turn 40 that extra money means so much more than being a starter.

Contracts with incentives are all well and good but a team controls your playing time and your ability to reach those incentives as do injuries. The whole reason Andrus got DFA'd was because the A's didn't want him getting AB's to guarantee him more money.

It's Reinsdorf, it's always been Reinsdorf ,so expect less not more. It's not Paddy it's Reinsdorf.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And this is not talked about enough either. When you talk about commitment to player development and investing in the international market it all starts here. This has been and always will be about money. 1 less team  = drafting less players = spending less money. Instead of a bunch of under $50K signings and getting lucky once in a while that some pan out you get 10 guys and hope you can nurture them into good players. That well hasn't exactly been overflowing for the Sox in their pitiful history of getting young international talent to blossom.

This has always been about JR controlling the purse strings.

They've seemed to be getting a lot better results from the INTL market as of late but your main point rings true. In the grand scheme of things adding another complex league team isn't all that expensive when you consider a major league team's budget. The fact that they don't do it never made sense to me (outside of not wanting to spend the $ to do it). 

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

They've seemed to be getting a lot better results from the INTL market as of late but your main point rings true. In the grand scheme of things adding another complex league team isn't all that expensive when you consider a major league team's budget. The fact that they don't do it never made sense to me (outside of not wanting to spend the $ to do it). 

I don't know about better results until some guys  actually play with the Sox and play well. I think there's initial excitement about some guys recently that give us the impression that they are doing better  but that dies down when these guys fizzle. Everyone liked the pitcher Norge Vera but he has an incredibly long journey ahead of him.

But yes extremely shortsighted but when the bottom line rules every decision in order to increase profits for investors . Jr's shortsightedness is deliberate so you can't call it shortsighted.

JR isn't a dummy. He's knows extra money in key areas can be more beneficial to winning but that's not his concern.

Perhaps he thinks that he doesn't get enough credit for keeping the Sox in Chicago and all us fans should be kissing his ass instead of whining about how cheap he is.

He's actually pretty lucky. He escapes a lot of criticism because the popular media can't say anything bad about him because they are afraid of him hurting their careers. No one would dare say on TV what we all know to be true when you do a historical deep dive on JR's practices.

Hahn,KW, they can shuffle the deck chairs among minor league player coordinators, trainers, coaches, managers and they all get the brunt of blame year in and year out because, yes, in the short term some of them have been very incompetent but the over riding factor is JR creates incompetency when he expects people to do their jobs with one hand tied behind their backs.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know about better results until some guys  actually play with the Sox and play well. I think there's initial excitement about some guys recently that give us the impression that they are doing better  but that dies down when these guys fizzle. Everyone liked the pitcher Norge Vera but he has an incredibly long journey ahead of him.

But yes extremely shortsighted but when the bottom line rules every decision in order to increase profits for investors . Jr's shortsightedness is deliberate so you can't call it shortsighted.

JR isn't a dummy. He's knows extra money in key areas can be more beneficial to winning but that's not his concern.

Perhaps he thinks that he doesn't get enough credit for keeping the Sox in Chicago and all us fans should be kissing his ass instead of whining about how cheap he is.

He's actually pretty lucky. He escapes a lot of criticism because the popular media can't say anything bad about him because they are afraid of him hurting their careers. No one would dare say on TV what we all know to be true when you do a historical deep dive on JR's practices.

Hahn,KW, they can shuffle the deck chairs among minor league player coordinators, trainers, coaches, managers and they all get the brunt of blame year in and year out because, yes, in the short term some of them have been very incompetent but the over riding factor is JR creates incompetency when he expects people to do their jobs with one hand tied behind their backs.

Development-wise them getting some of these guys to AA and not having them completely flame out and bust are positive signs given the numerous signings in the past that could barely make it past Kanny. That's where my "getting better results lately" stems from. Obviously they'll be judged on when/if/how they perform in the majors (and it won't mean much if none of them succeed), but they seem to be on a better track, which is encouraging to me. 

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Development-wise them getting some of these guys to AA and not having them completely flame out and bust are positive signs given the numerous signings in the past that could barely make it past Kanny. That's where my "getting better results lately" stems from. Obviously they'll be judged on when/if/how they perform in the majors (and it won't mean much if none of them succeed), but they seem to be on a better track, which is encouraging to me. 

I'm extremely encouraged about how Colas did in his 1st year after so much rust and once again switching cultures . What he accomplished is nothing short of amazing .Sosa could end up being very good as can Ramos and Rodriguez. But that's less than a handful of guys and the chances that  3 of the 4 of them can contribute on the MLB level isn't that high.

That fact that it's only 4 that are in the level you mentioned can also be seen as discouraging when the IFA can make or break teams. Cleveland is on the rise because of it and Houston has crushed the IFA market. Maybe you count more than 4 like Romy or some I am missing.

There is strength in numbers and the numbers will never add up when you field only 1 DSL team and showing disdain for minor league players and the whole system of development of giving them the best available tools to succeed  is the Reinsdorfian way. It is not a nurturing environment to enable getting the best out of these young men when so many of them are like fish out of water when they come stateside.

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Historically remember JR doesn't believe much in the minor league system and has gone on record as saying he doesn't believe in paying for "potential."

With that being said there are only a limited number of ways to procure talent, since he doesn't seem to think developing it is the right way, maybe he should start signing quality free agents...

Oh wait...guess that's not the right way either! 😄 

But he goes with those lightning in a bottle signings

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Nice job, where'd you even find this at? 

The link someone, maybe you, left earlier on the Baseball America link of Signees. I know it was 7 but I checked again and it was 8 with the last name added being Ysalla. Then I went to Badler's Instagram looked in his pictures of the signees and stole the picture from that.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The link someone, maybe you, left earlier on the Baseball America link of Signees. I know it was 7 but I checked again and it was 8 with the last name added being Ysalla. Then I went to Badler's Instagram looked in his pictures of the signees and stole the picture from that.

well damn there ya go, good call. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

well damn there ya go, good call. 

Thanks I was actually surprised that while I was trying to figure out how to get the picture I took to fit that someone else would beat me to it. I had to crop and recrop that pic to finally get Soxtalk to accept it from my phone.

I almost never use my phone to post  yet alone post with a picture which is why you see the previous post that kind of introduces the one you eventually saw. It was a 1st attempt and I didn't like how it came out.

I thought of giving you an ultra vague answer like a pretend insider would  with a wink wink nudge nudge  or let you try to figure out what IANAI means ( I am not an insider ). But it really only took a second to know I would just tell you the truth.

• Haha 1