Sox with "plenty of money" left in Jan 15 international pool

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If my math is correct, the Sox had around 2.4M left (including Hernandez), and the 10 other signings here come out to $735K, leaving them with around 1.6M in available funds (give or take).

Nice ! Baseball America hasn't updated their page on those signing yet. If I am correct I believe the total is now 18 players signed by the Sox so far and some Cubans still left .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I think it's 18. BA had Hernandez and Ysalla on their list which made it nine and Hernandez and Ysalla are on this list also so it would be 9 from BA + the 11 announced here  - the 2 who appear on both lists Hernandez and Ysalla.

Or you can go by the Sox announcements which listed 7 earlier signings + the 11 here.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

27 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If my math is correct, the Sox had around 2.4M left (including Hernandez), and the 10 other signings here come out to $735K, leaving them with around 1.6M in available funds (give or take).

With the chances of the Sox IFA signings perhaps reaching as much as 20+ this period eventually, do you think there's a chance the Sox actually add a 2nd DSL team ?

I don't know how many players are allowed on the rosters of DSL teams but if its capped at around 25 wouldn't that mean a good amount of DSL players get promoted to A ball to make room for the new ones. Isn't it pretty normal for most DSL players to spend more than 1 year  in the DSL ?

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

With the chances of the Sox IFA signings perhaps reaching as much as 20+ this period eventually, do you think there's a chance the Sox actually add a 2nd DSL team ?

I don't know how many players are allowed on the rosters of DSL teams but if its capped at around 25 wouldn't that mean a good amount of DSL players get promoted to A ball to make room for the new ones. Isn't it pretty normal for most DSL players to spend more than 1 year  in the DSL ?

I hope they do but won't hold my breath until they prove it. Those rosters can be pretty big from what I recall. They had 36 different players record stats here between the hittters/pitchers, so maybe they operate it similarly to how they did the Project Birmingham stuff?

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I hope they do but won't hold my breath until they prove it. Those rosters can be pretty big from what I recall. They had 36 different players record stats here between the hittters/pitchers, so maybe they operate it similarly to how they did the Project Birmingham stuff?

I'm counting 24 hitters and 19 pitchers - 3 position players that pitched  which would be 40 but some probably already had been promoted to get to the 36 you said. That's a lot of guys and then you add another 20+ . I would assume some who may be on their 3rd or 4th DSL season will be let go but when you're talking 16 years old and up on those teams I would think you have to give them time to learn and physically grow . SOme will also be promoted too but it just sounds like too many for 1 team.

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

When they said there were more signings coming from Venezuela, they weren't kidding.

• 4 weeks later...