Grifol told Eloy to get some work in RF

Chick Mercedes

• Chick Mercedes changed the title to Grifol told Eloy to get some work in RF

He literally just told him to be ready.  I don't think the Sox plan to play Eloy in RF much, if at all.  But does it really hurt for him to be prepared for it?  He's obviously not playing much LF now with Benintendi in the fold.

I think Eloy's 2023 will shake out as follows, assuming he's mostly healthy:

DH: 125 GS

LF: 15 GS

RF: 5 GS

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He literally just told him to be ready.  I don't think the Sox plan to play Eloy in RF much, if at all.  But does it really hurt for him to be prepared for it?  He's obviously not playing much LF now with Benintendi in the fold.

I think Eloy's 2023 will shake out as follows, assuming he's mostly healthy:

DH: 125 GS

LF: 15 GS

RF: 5 GS

No way.  Give me the over (OF).  (note: not my opinion about what they should do, but what will end up happening.)

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

We’re reading too much into this. This is nothing. Why wouldn’t he prepare to play defense? Depth and versatility are important. 

I guess the question is has he ever played defense before? 🤣

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Eloy will stink in RF obviously. Teach him how to play 1B. It's not that hard. He can split time there with Vaughn and Sheets. And DH with those two guys too.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

No way.  Give me the over (OF).  (note: not my opinion about what they should do, but what will end up happening.)

If Benintendi gets hurt, perhaps. Benintendi is the LF now and they aren’t playing Eloy there over him. 

6 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Eloy hasn't played RF since 2018. There is no way they are serious about that. This has to be a big nothing burger offseason talk and nothing more.

You do realise that they played a rookie 1b Vaughan in the outfield and Gavin Sheets, so anything is possible.

7 hours ago, Chimpton said:

You do realise that they played a rookie 1b Vaughan in the outfield and Gavin Sheets, so anything is possible.

A lot we don’t know about Grifol. But I wouldn’t put it past the Sox FO to have hired him because through him they could dictate outcomes on the field.  Certainly he wasn’t the hot commodity. I can’t fathom how they felt about last season’s outfield, or Eloy. But Pedro is probably not playing a strong hand of independence.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

A lot we don’t know about Grifol. But I wouldn’t put it past the Sox FO to have hired him because through him they could dictate outcomes on the field.  Certainly he wasn’t the hot commodity. I can’t fathom how they felt about last season’s outfield, or Eloy. But Pedro is probably not playing a strong hand of independence.

It's wise to tell players to work on your weaknesses. It's how you grow as not only a player but as a person also.

2 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

Too much doomsday talk about Eloy playing OF defense. He is a young player and it only makes sense to keep him ready to play defense when needed. He can relieve in LF or RF when needed and anchor that DH spot

As an emergency cover I have no issue with Eloy getting a few appearances in OF, but his bat is his primary tool not his fielding and with his injury history the less opportunity for injuring himself in the OF the better. The way he hit last backend when primarily DHing is too valuable to the team to have him miss half a season, again, on some silly injury picked up in the OF (I know he was injured base running last season but that can't be avoided!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

Too much doomsday talk about Eloy playing OF defense. He is a young player and it only makes sense to keep him ready to play defense when needed. He can relieve in LF or RF when needed and anchor that DH spot

When is the cutoff for calling a player young. Seems like he’s entering his prime now

if he wants to help the team he will burn all of his gloves. playing him in the field is the dumbest  idea i have ever heard. and i have been a Sox fan for 50 years so i have heard a lot of dumb ideas, he is terrible defensively but most importantly it almost assures time on the DL when we need his bat in the lineup