Grifol told Eloy to get some work in RF

Chick Mercedes

On 1/6/2023 at 1:37 AM, Chick Mercedes said:

When is the cutoff for calling a player young. Seems like he’s entering his prime now

Prime is different for every player. Traditionally prime was maybe 26-31 or 32. But the super talented have primes that start younger. We probably already missed a couple of Eloy prime years due to injury.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, flavum said:

Grifol on the Score now. Said Colas will get the opportunity in spring training, but he wants to see Eloy in RF once or twice a week. Yuck. Hopefully it’s a handful of games, if that. 

Ick.  Lets hope its not a regular thing as you say.

What is worse though, Eloy in RF until Colas arrives, or Sheets?  

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Grifol on the Score now. Said Colas will get the opportunity in spring training, but he wants to see Eloy in RF once or twice a week. Yuck. Hopefully it’s a handful of games, if that. 

Didn't hear what he said, but I expect this is off-season "coach speak" and won't read too much into it. He could see Eloy there once or twice that first week and say "cool, I've seen enough."

• Like 2

The idea of Eloy in RF is ludicrous. I mean cmon. Now that we showed Jose the door just put Eloy at DH every single game or add him to the 1B brigade for a game a week as a reward for staying healthy. If he doesn't like it he can leave via free agency when it's time. 

If the Sox are serious about him in the OF then in the offseason they'd pay Jermaine Dye or somebody to work out with Eloy one month straight in Arizona in the OF and see if there's any chance he could play out there. Can u imagine Eloy in RF? It will be comical.

Edited by greg775

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The idea of Eloy in RF is ludicrous. I mean cmon. Now that we showed Jose the door just put Eloy at DH every single game or add him to the 1B brigade for a game a week as a reward for staying healthy. If he doesn't like it he can leave via free agency when it's time. 

If the Sox are serious about him in the OF then in the offseason they'd pay Jermaine Dye or somebody to work out with Eloy one month straight in Arizona in the OF and see if there's any chance he could play out there. Can u imagine Eloy in RF? It will be comical.

Jermaine Dye was an awful terrible no good defensive RF once he had all the leg injuries.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Eloy has no business playing RF at all next year, but the funny thing is that he would be better out there than Sheets and Vaughn. 

Can we please just stay healthy for once so that this never even becomes an option?

I'm thrilled to hear Eloy won't be playing LF, and we actually signed a LF that's not going to be moved to RF so Eloy can play LF.  

I would play Leury in RF until we call up Colas in May and not lose a year of service time because Eloy wouldn't last a week in RF.

Eloy should be our DH period, but we all know Grandal will also get a lot of time at DH which is probably why Pedro is asking him to try RF.  

17 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I'm thrilled to hear Eloy won't be playing LF, and we actually signed a LF that's not going to be moved to RF so Eloy can play LF.  

I would play Leury in RF until we call up Colas in May and not lose a year of service time because Eloy wouldn't last a week in RF.

Eloy should be our DH period, but we all know Grandal will also get a lot of time at DH which is probably why Pedro is asking him to try RF.  

Service time should have no impact on Colas breaking camp with the club (or not) out of ST, that should depend on his performance. Leury starting for a month anywhere, especially RF, would be an abomination. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Service time should have no impact on Colas breaking camp with the club (or not) out of ST, that should depend on his performance. Leury starting for a month anywhere, especially RF, would be an abomination. 

Agreed. The service time obsession for a latter half of the Top 100 prospect who will be 31 in his first free agent year is misplaced.  In addition to being ethically dubious, gaming the system over Colas's service time hurts you in 2023, which is supposed to be a contending year, to maybe help you in 2030, by which time the current core will all be gone.

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Imagine how different this roster looks if the Sox signed Duvall. 

Because here’s the thing, Colas readiness aside — we're one random benintendi oblique/hamate/bruise injury from watching Eloy in LF and Leury in RF every day for an extended period of time.

We are definitely getting 30 games of Eloy LF Leury CF Sheets RF

I don’t really see the benefit of Grifol telling Eloy his days in the OF over. Hahn and Grifol have both said that he’s going to be the primary DH. I suspect that he will. But Eloy is going to play some OF and we all know he wants to as well. So I view this as nothing more than offseason coachspeak. Not surprised to see people want to gnash their teeth over it tho. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

While I do not agree that what will amount to around 15 games should have no impact on the Colas OD decision, I do agree that if he has a great ST you gotta give him the job.

But I do think we would have seen Colas up when Robert was essentially playing 1 handed last season if the Sox planned on using Colas right away in 23. Not calling him up then but starting him on OD roster in 23 is just awful decision making. 

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t really see the benefit of Grifol telling Eloy his days in the OF over. Hahn and Grifol have both said that he’s going to be the primary DH. I suspect that he will. But Eloy is going to play some OF and we all know he wants to as well. So I view this as nothing more than offseason coachspeak. Not surprised to see people want to gnash their teeth over it tho. 

While I do not agree that what will amount to around 15 games should have no impact on the Colas OD decision, I do agree that if he has a great ST you gotta give him the job.

But I do think we would have seen Colas up when Robert was essentially playing 1 handed last season if the Sox planned on using Colas right away in 23. Not calling him up then but starting him on OD roster in 23 is just awful decision making. 

It could've been that they saw the toxic mess that was the team/clubhouse, realized the likelihood of actually overtaking CLE we're slim, and chose to leave Colas where he was. I'd like to think the org has at least a shred of awareness to recognize the dumpster fire that was last year. I'm glad they didn't expose him to that crap. 

• Like 3