"Sell the Team...Jerry" Billboards...

Lip Man 1

7 hours ago, Sarava said:

Waste of what, $5 or $10? Hell a big mac costs more than most people donated. I think this is great.

I covered most of the cost with a bad check. My plan was to rent a billboard inside the park next to the Utica Club ad. 

Find an owner without ties to the city that will finally move them to a city where they can be #1 instead of in another team's shadow. Maybe get an owner that has a ton of debt from buying the team and needs to slash costs for a while. Get that payroll closer to the half way mark instead of top 10. 

Plenty of great things can happen with new ownership. 

1 hour ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I can't believe people think this will move any needle. JR will sell when he wants to sell. 

I don't know if they want to move the needle. JR and the White Sox will hate the billboard, but it will only make JR more determined to keep the team. I doubt that a WS is in the near future.

19 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Will it get media coverage, in particular, national media coverage?

It might make the local news on tv, but I doubt it gets national coverage.  Maybe the Trib writes a blurb but it won't make headlines.  I doubt Block Club Chicago and the Athletic are even on JR's radar.  

On 1/6/2023 at 4:16 PM, G13 said:

Yeah sell the team, when the owner pays a top 10 payroll in baseball and the weak ass fan base doesn't shop up to any games.

As of right now they are projected to be 13th in payroll.  So close, but still inaccurate.  Saying they are in the top half of baseball in payroll in their prime contention years would be accurate.  In terms of attendance, maybe if the owner didn't hire his drunken friends to coach the team it would be better?

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

As of right now they are projected to be 13th in payroll.  So close, but still inaccurate.  Saying they are in the top half of baseball in payroll in their prime contention years would be accurate.  In terms of attendance, maybe if the owner didn't hire his drunken friends to coach the team it would be better?

And are one of what, three teams to never sign a $100M+ contract?  Meaning they are never paying for premium talent or landing the game’s most marketable stars.  Even when they do spend it’s usually on washed up garbage or not insignificant overpays.  Blaming a fan base after 40 years of terrible ownership is rich. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 11:11 AM, Texsox said:

Find an owner without ties to the city that will finally move them to a city where they can be #1 instead of in another team's shadow.

I have no dog in this fight, but of all US cities/metro areas without an MLB team, there are zero with a population greater than half of Chicago’s. (San Antonio has a city population a little over half, but its MSA is 1/4 the size)

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I wonder if the Saudi government would be interested? The Saudi's own major soccer teams in Europe, WWE in the future, LIV golf, etc. They would sure as hell spend to win. 

Do you really think the MLB would allow that?  

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I have no dog in this fight, but of all US cities/metro areas without an MLB team, there are zero with a population greater than half of Chicago’s. (San Antonio has a city population a little over half, but its MSA is 1/4 the size)

And I can argue the Sox have one of the most passionate fanbases.

Hendriks indirectly mentioned SoxTalk when talking about signing here. Graveman signed cause of Leury's home run.

If the Sox just put a playoff team on the field, they sell out. They don't need a lesser metro.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:11 AM, Texsox said:

Find an owner without ties to the city that will finally move them to a city where they can be #1 instead of in another team's shadow. Maybe get an owner that has a ton of debt from buying the team and needs to slash costs for a while. Get that payroll closer to the half way mark instead of top 10. 

Plenty of great things can happen with new ownership. 

Or you could get Eddie DeBartolo or Steve Cohen. I think as fans we're hoping for that scenario.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Or you could get Eddie DeBartolo or Steve Cohen. I think as fans we're hoping for that scenario.

Could happen. Or a Jerry Jones type. I'm mostly pointing out that it could get better, stay the same, or actually get worse. I'm trying to think of a principle owner of all Chicago sports franchises throughout history with more championships to their credit? 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Could happen. Or a Jerry Jones type. I'm mostly pointing out that it could get better, stay the same, or actually get worse. I'm trying to think of a principle owner of all Chicago sports franchises throughout history with more championships to their credit? 

Lucking into Michael Jordan did a lot to pad that resume. I'd much rather have an owner that will put this team in position to actually sign top free agents when it is a competitive team. JR has shown time and again that will never be him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Lucking into Michael Jordan did a lot to pad that resume. I'd much rather have an owner that will put this team in position to actually sign top free agents when it is a competitive team. JR has shown time and again that will never be him.

Then you really should look at those Bull rosters from the 1990s. Paxson, Harper, Kerr to name a few. They had a competitive team and actually signed some key free agents. 

There are very few owners in all of sports that have really changed a team. The majority of the time nothing really changes. The Sox hadn't been in the playoffs in over 20 years when JR bought the team. They made it a couple years later.