"Sell the Team...Jerry" Billboards...

Lip Man 1

This isn’t the first time this has happened. I don’t think it will be covered much during national telecasts as MLB owns and controls them.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/reds/billboard-calls-for-cincinnati-reds-owner-to-selltheteam-as-mlb-season-starts

Now if we can only get ESPN to host a talking heads show in front of one.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:14 PM, Texsox said:

Then you really should look at those Bull rosters from the 1990s. Paxson, Harper, Kerr to name a few. They had a competitive team and actually signed some key free agents. 

There are very few owners in all of sports that have really changed a team. The majority of the time nothing really changes. The Sox hadn't been in the playoffs in over 20 years when JR bought the team. They made it a couple years later. 

The playoffs did not exist twenty years before Reinsdorf bought the team.

The Tampa Bay Rays didn’t exist until 17 years after he bought the team.  They’ve won more playoff games than Reinsdorf.

Edited by FloydBannister1983
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

On 1/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, Good Guys said:

As of right now they are projected to be 13th in payroll.  So close, but still inaccurate.  Saying they are in the top half of baseball in payroll in their prime contention years would be accurate.  In terms of attendance, maybe if the owner didn't hire his drunken friends to coach the team it would be better?

7th highest payroll in 2022, 2023 season hasn't started yet buddy.

As for attendance, what is your excuse for the pathetic numbers before TLR was hired?  In 2005 we were still second to the cubs in this city by 10k PER GAME.  This might be a large market but we are far from being what the Mets are to the Yankees.  Or what the Angels are to the dodgers.

A new owner with half a brain would move the team out of town.  Hopefully we don't get you all are asking for.  GO SOX!

1 minute ago, G13 said:

As for attendance, what is your excuse for the pathetic numbers before TLR was hired?  In 2005 we were still second to the cubs in this city by 10k PER GAME.  This might be a large market but we are far from being what the Mets are to the Yankees.  Or what the Angels are to the dodgers.

A new owner with half a brain would move the team out of town.  Hopefully we don't get you all are asking for.  GO SOX!

What are you?

On 1/8/2023 at 12:56 PM, Tnetennba said:

And are one of what, three teams to never sign a $100M+ contract?  Meaning they are never paying for premium talent or landing the game’s most marketable stars.  Even when they do spend it’s usually on washed up garbage or not insignificant overpays.  Blaming a fan base after 40 years of terrible ownership is rich. 

Who gives a f*** how much he pays the players?  He gave Albert Belle the largest deal in baseball and what did we get out of that? 

We won a world series in 2005 and we didn't have any large contracts on the books.  Everyone also forgets how the Sox had the 5th highest payroll in baseball 2006, 2007 and 2008.  I'm guessing this is all before your time.

The Sox have offered players over $100 million.  They were outbid for Machado and Wheeler decided not to play in front of 7k per game and took less $ to play elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, G13 said:

And in 2006 the White Sox were behind the Cubs by 2000 per game. I wonder what happened that was different there that made them catch up so suddenly. Could we try that again?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

And in 2006 the White Sox were behind the Cubs by 2000 per game. I wonder what happened that was different there that made them catch up so suddenly. Could we try that again?

We won a world series and we still couldn't catch a last place team in attendance, in our own city.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:14 PM, Texsox said:

Then you really should look at those Bull rosters from the 1990s. Paxson, Harper, Kerr to name a few. They had a competitive team and actually signed some key free agents. 

There are very few owners in all of sports that have really changed a team. The majority of the time nothing really changes. The Sox hadn't been in the playoffs in over 20 years when JR bought the team. They made it a couple years later. 

The Bulls were very well constructed, but their treatment of Scottie Pippen is a perfect example of JR's cheapskate bullshit.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:11 AM, Texsox said:

Find an owner without ties to the city that will finally move them to a city where they can be #1 instead of in another team's shadow. Maybe get an owner that has a ton of debt from buying the team and needs to slash costs for a while. Get that payroll closer to the half way mark instead of top 10. 

Plenty of great things can happen with new ownership. 

So true

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

The Bulls were very well constructed, but their treatment of Scottie Pippen is a perfect example of JR's cheapskate bullshit.

Pippen was under a 6 yr contract in 1987, in 1991 he was bitching about being underpaid.  So before his first contract was up, they AGREED to a 7yr $18 million deal.  He was told at that time by Jerry, not to sign that extension, but he did.  The NBA blew up right after and salaries went thru the roof.  With the tribune owning the cubs and hating Reinsdorf because he took the Sox off of their TV station WGN and put them on cable tv.  Which lead to yrs of bad publicity about him being a cheap owner of the Sox and bulls even though the tribune owned cash cow cubbies got a mulligan.

Just a tidbit for you young lads.  The first thing the tribune did to get back at Jerry was to hire the Sox fan favorite announcer, by the name of Harry Carey.

Edited by G13

10 hours ago, G13 said:

We won a world series and we still couldn't catch a last place team in attendance, in our own city.

The simple fact is there are more Cub fans than there are Sox fans. Secondly, the Cubs have a near cult following that no other major league franchise has, and that is something the Sox FO doesn't understand. Finally, there is no obligation for any fan to attend any game especially with a team that has only one World Series championship in nearly 125 years. And any feelings of entitlement that JR has won't change things.  All the bitching about attendance changes nothing. Having respect for at least the die hard fans would help. One last fact: the White Sox were the first Chicago baseball team to draw 2,000,000 in a season.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, G13 said:

Who gives a f*** how much he pays the players?  He gave Albert Belle the largest deal in baseball and what did we get out of that? 

We won a world series in 2005 and we didn't have any large contracts on the books.  Everyone also forgets how the Sox had the 5th highest payroll in baseball 2006, 2007 and 2008.  I'm guessing this is all before your time.

The Sox have offered players over $100 million.  They were outbid for Machado and Wheeler decided not to play in front of 7k per game and took less $ to play elsewhere.

If you're suggesting that adding great players to a team does not guarantee success, well, sure. So the alternative is not doing that because there's a chance it might not work out?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, G13 said:

I'm sorry, in 2023 are you actually trying to make the argument that Sox fans don't support the organization enough? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, G13 said:

To me, the owner's responsibilities are:

1. Hire the right staff (executives) who will make the right baseball decisions. Get the right leadership in place.

2. Give the baseball staff the resources ($$, namely) and autonomy to make the right decisions. Let the leadership do their jobs.

To me JR has failed in these regards. The constant "promote within the family" mentality undercuts objective #1.

Objective #2 you can make maybe make an argument for, but the fact is:

• This team is being out-contract-spent by the Twins
    • The Twins have now committed 9-figure deals to 3 players I think of off the top of my head (Mauer, Buxton, and now Correa), whereas the Sox's largest contract is $75MM
  • JR has shown to insert himself into lower-level decisions to undercut his own executive staff
    • Hiring of a manager
    • Refusing to pay top dollar for pitching after shelling out for Jaime Navarro

The results are that, in 41 years of owning the team, he's brought home 1 World Series championship. He's brought home 1 AL pennant. If it weren't for literally lucking into the greatest basketball player who ever played, he'd have 1 championship in 78 combined years of sports ownership.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

On 1/10/2023 at 8:41 AM, Highland said:

The simple fact is there are more Cub fans than there are Sox fans. Secondly, the Cubs have a near cult following that no other major league franchise has, and that is something the Sox FO doesn't understand. Finally, there is no obligation for any fan to attend any game especially with a team that has only one World Series championship in nearly 125 years. And any feelings of entitlement that JR has won't change things.  All the bitching about attendance changes nothing. Having respect for at least the die hard fans would help. One last fact: the White Sox were the first Chicago baseball team to draw 2,000,000 in a season.

So true, a fan is not obligated to attend a game.  Just like an owner is not obligated to spend his $ on players.  

But......if the owner is supported by many fans coming out to the game and spending their hard earned cash.   Then an owner should spend a good amount of that revenue on players.  My point is attendance is BELOW avg and our payroll is ABOVE avg.  So why are the majority of people here acting like the reason the Sox aren't playing good is because the owner is cheap?  Blame the players that like Moncada, that is not playing to his capabilities.  Let's blame Mr.Glass, Eloy for never staying Healthy.  We can also blame buster Lucas Giolito also for not earning his paycheck.

The organization has spent the $, locking up Robert, Eloy, Moncada and Tim Anderson to early extensions.  They also extended Lance Lynn.  Made big free agent signings that all Sox fans went crazy for in Liam Hendrix and Yasmany Grandal. 

The owner himself even extended Jose Abreu to a 3 yr $50 million dollar deal that the FO was not keen on doing.  I'll admit, I didn't think it was a good idea since we had Vaughn.  I never heard/read about anyone giving the old man props for that.  Ended up being a very good 3 yrs from the MVP Abreu.

What I've come to realize is that most not all people here just b**** about anything.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:03 PM, G13 said:

Not a Reinsdorf basher but I think he hates the fans. The attendance issues pre-dated JR. I think he might retire soon for a welcome change. New blood is sorely needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G13 said:

So true, a fan is not obligated to attend a game.  Just like an owner is not obligated to spend his $ on players.  

But......if the owner is supported by many fans coming out to the game and spending their hard earned cash.   Then an owner should spend a good amount of that revenue on players.  My point is attendance is BELOW avg and our payroll is ABOVE avg.  So why are the majority of people here acting like the reason the Sox aren't playing good is because the owner is cheap?  Blame the players that like Moncada, that is not playing to his capabilities.  Let's blame Mr.Glass, Eloy for never staying Healthy.  We can also blame buster Lucas Giolito also for not earning his paycheck.

The organization has spent the $, locking up Robert, Eloy, Moncada and Tim Anderson to early extensions.  They also extended Lance Lynn.  Made big free agent signings that all Sox fans went crazy for in Liam Hendrix and Yasmany Grandal. 

The owner himself even extended Jose Abreu to a 3 yr $50 million dollar deal that the FO was not keen on doing.  I'll admit, I didn't think it was a good idea since we had Vaughn.  I never heard/read about anyone giving the old man props for that.  Ended up being a very good 3 yrs from the MVP Abreu.

What I've come to realize is that most not all people here just b**** about anything.

White Sox attendance issues started in the mid 1960's when social unrest created the myth that Comiskey Park was a "dangerous" place because of its location. Nothing the Sox could do about that but they have shot themselves in the foot over the years with decisions like leaving WGN-TV, creating SportsVision and saying "We are Chicago's American League team..." instead of taking on the Cubs full-on.

From 1951-1967 the Sox outdrew the Cubs in 16 of those 17 years sometimes by a wide margin.

Part of the issue is the Sox have not been able to consistently put a winning competitive streak like that together since then.

Often they come out of the blue (like in 2005) and have an excellent season but they...can't...keep...it...going. I don't mean winning World Series after World series but how about making the playoffs say four times in six years or five times in seven? Sox have never done that.

They'll have a nice stretch (1981-1983, 1990-1994, 2000-2006...) and then it's back to mediocrity.

To say nothing even about all the controversies...Sox are moving...stadium controversy, JR and 1994 labor impasse, White Flag Trade, cancelling Sox fest, bizarre new ticket policy among others.

That's no way to build a fan base in my opinion. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

White Sox attendance issues started in the mid 1960's when social unrest created the myth that Comiskey Park was a "dangerous" place because of its location. Nothing the Sox could do about that but they have shot themselves in the foot over the years with decisions like leaving WGN-TV, creating SportsVision and saying "We are Chicago's American League team..." instead of taking on the Cubs full-on.

From 1951-1967 the Sox outdrew the Cubs in 16 of those 17 years sometimes by a wide margin.

Part of the issue is the Sox have not been able to consistently put a winning competitive streak like that together since then.

Often they come out of the blue (like in 2005) and have an excellent season but they...can't...keep...it...going. I don't mean winning World Series after World series but how about making the playoffs say four times in six years or five times in seven? Sox have never done that.

They'll have a nice stretch (1981-1983, 1990-1994, 2000-2006...) and then it's back to mediocrity.

To say nothing even about all the controversies...Sox are moving...stadium controversy, JR and 1994 labor impasse, White Flag Trade, cancelling Sox fest, bizarre new ticket policy among others.

That's no way to build a fan base in my opinion. 

Agree,  I took at look at the Sox 2023 road schedule and there's some great options for a 3 day week or weekend get- away.  I canceled my 20 game plan, with a goal not to give JR any of my money.  I'd rather take in the sights of a new town and enjoy a game in Boston, NY, KC (BBQ), CA, Seattle.... 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1